PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Tank "With" Discus!!!!!

dean9922
04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
here's a few pictures of my homemade 100 gallon tank with the discus in them...also a few of my 30 gallon....

dean9922
04-27-2009, 11:31 PM
a few more pictures.....

rickztahone
04-28-2009, 12:25 AM
wow those are tiny, what are they? that looks like a huge tank for them but then again it is a 30 so it should do the grow out fine. the substrate might be a problem but that's just my opinion

Apistomaster
04-28-2009, 07:51 PM
The Discus look "home made" too.

Unless you have raised discus this small before in a large tank with deep, fine sand, I also wonder if you know how much more difficult it can make routine maintenance.

I'm still feeding Discus as small as yours mostly newly hatched brine shrimp and in tanks with substrate they let much of it go to waste and the dead brine shrimp spoil quickly.

I like planted Discus tanks but I wait until they are 3 or more inches long and off brine shrimp and on larger foods that are easier for them to find and clean up before trying to keep them over a substrate.

I think most breeders would agree with me that baby Discus tend to grow out more evenly sized if they are kept in smaller bare tanks and gradually larger ones as they grow before turning them loose in a large planted tank.

Good luck with your project.

dean9922
05-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi Apistomaster
I am fully aware of the cleaning cycle and do change 60-70% water changes on this tank daily....they seem to be growing nicely. I started with this tank and my 100 gallon is bare bottom. The ones in the 30 gallon will be going in my new 80gallon bare bottom tank soon. And as far as eating is concerned they are doing great on there beefheart mixture and special mix i made up and i feel they are very healthy fish.
P.S. the fish are not homemade, they come from eggs just like all discus....

poconogal
05-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Both tanks look good. How big are those Discus, they are so cute and tiny looking!

Apistomaster
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Apistomaster
I am fully aware of the cleaning cycle and do change 60-70% water changes on this tank daily....they seem to be growing nicely. I started with this tank and my 100 gallon is bare bottom. The ones in the 30 gallon will be going in my new 80gallon bare bottom tank soon. And as far as eating is concerned they are doing great on there beefheart mixture and special mix i made up and i feel they are very healthy fish.
P.S. the fish are not homemade, they come from eggs just like all discus....

I just meant that it looked like your small discus may have been some of your own homegrown fish based on their small size. Of course I know they came from eggs but not many people sell baby discus anymore.

dean9922
05-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Hi Apistomaster....
guess i read that wrong and maybe took it as an insult...I am new to this discus raising and find this forum more then helpful Us newbies rely on all of you breeders and discus owners who have been in the game for a long time,( maybe to much so)
anyway take care and hopefully no hard feelings and sorry for the sarcasm.....dean