PDA

View Full Version : Water changes during cycling

marfa59
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I have just started my first aquarium. My tank is a 75 gal and I set it up on 4-24-09. I added 3 runny nose tetras and 3 penguin tetras on 4-27-09. I tested my water on 4-28-09 just to get a baseline. Results are PH- 7.2 - 7.8, Ammonia -0, Nitrites - 0 and Nitrates -0-. I guess I need to take a sample to get the hardness tested. My questions are - Should I be doing small water changes while the tank is cycling and if so how often? Also should I add more fish and when? I am just beginning so I will have many questions in the future. Thanks to all that can help me get my discus tank up and running.
Connie

mkv
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Basicly a fish gives off Ammonia (NH3,NH4)from fecal matter which is broken down by nitrifying bacteria into Nitrite (NO2) which in turn is broken down to Nitrate(NO3).
Ammonia and Nitrite can be harmfull and more often enough lethal to fish at any level and in a fully cycled tank both should read 0. Nitrate is not as lethal and "some" fish can live in high levels but its best to keep it under 20ppm(parts per million) once the tank is fully cycled.
You didn't say if you used any form of aids to establish bacteria in your tank. I would not add more fish until the cyclying is done as it will just result in some fish losses or illness on the stressed fish that remain after the cycle.
Good luck and be patient is a great hobby that brings many rewards

poconogal
04-28-2009, 01:59 PM
With 6 tiny tetras in a 75 gal. tank it will probably take forever to cycle it. I'd recommend getting rid of the tetras, empty your tank and sterilize everything and start over, using the fishless cycling method. You'll get faster results and most importantly you won't run the risk of any sort of parasite or disease being passed on to the Discus from the other fish. You could do a search on the forum for how to do a fishless cycle.

Tropical Haven
04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
With 6 tiny tetras in a 75 gal. tank it will probably take forever to cycle it. I'd recommend getting rid of the tetras, empty your tank and sterilize everything and start over, using the fishless cycling method. You'll get faster results and most importantly you won't run the risk of any sort of parasite or disease being passed on to the Discus from the other fish. You could do a search on the forum for how to do a fishless cycle.

I totally agree!

jerbear
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
The link below should help you with a fishless cycle. However don't be fooled this process will take time.. Give it at least 6 weeks..

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html

Graham
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't know about stripping everything and sterilizing but I would remove the fish and go the fishless cycle route. The bio-film would only build to the available food suuply ie : ammonia. 6 pip squeak tetras would only build a bio-film large enough to handle one small discus as ammonia production is directly related to protien and 6 little guys don't eat very much........

MKV...fish give off NH3/ammonia not NH4 /ammonium. If the pH is low enough in the water then that NH3 will become ionized and become ammonium/NH4.
They give this NH3 off, about 80%, via osmoregulation through thier gills not in fecal matter.

poconogal
04-29-2009, 07:14 AM
6 pip squeak tetras would only build a bio-film large enough to handle one small discus as ammonia production is directly related to protien and 6 little guys don't eat very much........

Graham, LMAO, pip squeak tetras! Those pip squeak tetras would probably take a week to produce one Discus poo!

GrillMaster
04-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I totally agree!

I will jump on Connies band wagon as well! :D

Damn woman...Yer gettin good! Dont want them lil pip squeak tetras introducin anything in the tank the Discus dont like! :)

Ed13
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I will jump on Connies band wagon as well! :D

Damn woman...Yer gettin good! Dont want them lil pip squeak tetras introducin anything in the tank the Discus dont like! :)
+1, count me in!;)