PDA

View Full Version : Copper...

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Is it safe to use? I hear its not...

Why I ask is....my discus is starting to get his infomaous whait spots back...

This was the first pair I bout....hate to flush him!

Daniel...

poconogal
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Daniel, have you tried Quick Cure already?

I don't think there's a problem using Copper Safe (chelated copper by Mardel) or something like it. I used it in my Discus tank about 2 years ago and they had no problems with it. The key is to be sure to monitor the copper level in your tank. Too much copper can be lethal. Copper Safe maintains a total copper level of 1.5 to 2.0 ppm when used as directed. A test kit that measures chelated copper should be used to monitor.

Plants, amphibians, snails and invertebrates should be removed.

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
D....flush? ...don't do that...Connie is right about the copper stuff....you also have to take into account your ph/temp with that stuff too..

what white spot? do we have pics of this? Are these fish in with the one that has the ragged tail you put iodine on?

Rox

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Daniel, have you tried Quick Cure already?

I don't think there's a problem using Copper Safe (chelated copper by Mardel) or something like it. I used it in my Discus tank about 2 years ago and they had no problems with it. The key is to be sure to monitor the copper level in your tank. Too much copper can be lethal. Copper Safe maintains a total copper level of 1.5 to 2.0 ppm when used as directed. A test kit that measures chelated copper should be used to monitor.

Plants, amphibians, snails and invertebrates should be removed.

He has lived 1/4 of his life in QUick Cure...mabe I outta get some florecent lights and play a lil Janis Joplin and enjoy him

Thx

D

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 07:46 PM
He has lived 1/4 of his life in QUick Cure...mabe I outta get some florecent lights and play a lil Janis Joplin and enjoy him

Thx

D

BLACK LIGHTS...whaere am I at....

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
D....flush? ...don't do that...Connie is right about the copper stuff....you also have to take into account your ph/temp with that stuff too..

what white spot? do we have pics of this? Are these fish in with the one that has the ragged tail you put iodine on?

Rox

Same fish but the spots ar nowhere near what they were in the beginning...

It just grinda me beehind I cant get him fixed...

I would NEVER flush a discus...I may eat him though...:bandana:

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Thx

D

lolol....I'll bring Hendrix and we can trip out on the funky light show:D

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 07:51 PM
...so the tail has healed? but the spots are back?

Eddie
05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Why don't you do daily salt dips for 30 minutes. Do a super big water change in the his tank, take the affected fish out and do the salt dip, then add him back to the tank. In his tank, keep the temp at 86-88F. Just an idea

Eddie

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I was just thinking that too...you're a mind reader Eddie...I was just thinking maybe it's more fungal than parasitic if the fish has been QC'd so many times...or they are parasites resiliant to the malachite green??

what's been your dosing frequency with the QC in the past D?

poconogal
05-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Rox, with Mardel's Copper Safe, no temp or PH adjustments are necessary. That's why I mentioned the Copper Safe over other copper treatments.

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
well, that's good to know Connie:)....a safe copper product...that takes some fear out of the equation...we only have access to unsafe, scary stuff down here:D

poconogal
05-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes but you have cute Wallabies too!

Eddie
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I was just thinking that too...you're a mind reader Eddie...I was just thinking maybe it's more fungal than parasitic if the fish has been QC'd so many times...or they are parasites resiliant to the malachite green??

what's been your dosing frequency with the QC in the past D?

Yeah Rox, I have been known to read minds every once in a while. Only if they are good ideas though. LOL

Eddie

Roxanne
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes but you have cute Wallabies too!

...think you basically covered it there...everything else here bites lol

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Why don't you do daily salt dips for 30 minutes. Do a super big water change in the his tank, take the affected fish out and do the salt dip, then add him back to the tank. In his tank, keep the temp at 86-88F. Just an idea

Eddie

Give him daily salt dips for awhile for awhile....big water changes each time?

Thx

D

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
lolol....I'll bring Hendrix and we can trip out on the funky light show:D

Manic depression searches my soul...

silent_thunder
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Rox, with Mardel's Copper Safe, no temp or PH adjustments are necessary. That's why I mentioned the Copper Safe over other copper treatments.

I will try to find some to have on hand...

Thanks...

D

Eddie
05-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Give him daily salt dips for awhile for awhile....big water changes each time?

Thx

D

Yeah D, make big waterchanges in the main tank, give the affected fish a salt dip and add him back into the main tank. At least this way he gets put back into some fresh water. I bet after 3 or 4 days, the spots will be all GONE. ;)

Eddie