PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Power Blower

timmy101
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Which one make a louder noise a sweetwater power blower/regenerative blowers or a central air pump? Which one is better for me to use that I need about 60 air lines to go into the tanks.

seanyuki
05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I reckon Sweetwater is quieter than a regular blower.

Sweetwater SL88
These are not linear "diaphragm," but true linear "piston" type pumps. Since the only moving part - the piston - floats on a bed of air, an exceptionally long service life can be expected (8 years of continuous life is not uncommon). You get quiet, energy-efficient operation and clean, oil-free air.
An outdoor-rated housing, grounded power cord, 1/2" MNPT flex outlet and 115V/60 Hz are all standard. UL-listed.
3-year warranty.

SL-88 Specifications:
* 100" max depth
* Dimensions: 15" x 8" x 9"
* Power Consumption: 130 running watts
* Output: 5.7 cfm of output at 2 psi.

Cheers
Francis:)

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
A blower will be much louder than any linear piston air pump. A blower has a nice loud whine to it, compared to the piston air pump that has a slight hum. Either way though, you cant go wrong with a Sweetwater product.

Give us more details on your air system needs....what size piping do you plan to use, exact number of outlets, whats at the end of the outlets (airstones, sponge filters, etc), how long of a run does the piping need to be (or total length of piping is even better). Once I know that I can better size an air system for you and recommend pipe size to use.

-Ryan

timmy101
05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
A blower will be much louder than any linear piston air pump. A blower has a nice loud whine to it, compared to the piston air pump that has a slight hum. Either way though, you cant go wrong with a Sweetwater product.

Give us more details on your air system needs....what size piping do you plan to use, exact number of outlets, whats at the end of the outlets (airstones, sponge filters, etc), how long of a run does the piping need to be (or total length of piping is even better). Once I know that I can better size an air system for you and recommend pipe size to use.

-Ryan

I will set it up in my garage I put the air pump in the middle and go out 5 roles for the top and 5 roles for the bottom. I put it right in the middle and going left is 7.5 ft and to the right is 7.5 ft that total 15 ft. Going down to the bottom role is 4ft. The top and bottom role going down to the other end is 15 ft. So 43 air lines on the top roles for all 5 and 42 air lines on the bottom roles for all 5 that total to 85 air lines. At the end of each air lines I use a spongefilters.

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Sponge filters will use 0.10cfm on average per filter. So 0.10 x 85 outlets = 8.5 cfm. Lets round that up a bit to 10cfm to accomodate for any additional outlets later down the road. Since the total run per row is 15ft im going to assume these are relatively small tanks (no higher than 20" each). a 20" tall tank will give us a resistance of 20" H2O pressure loss (air flow friction loss is given as inches of H2O, compared to ft of total dynamic head for a water pump). A 1" pipe would work perfectly. 10cfm through a 1" pipe will give us around 5" of H20 friction loss per 100' of pipe. So since we are talking less than 50' of pipe, the friction loss is minimal and not even worth mentioning. Our H20 friction loss total is around 20" (less of course if the tanks are shorter than 20"). 20" H20 friction loss equals just under 1 psi.

This is one of those situations where you are in between using a linear air pump or a small blower only because of the CFM required due to the high number of outlets. Psi requirements are not an issue. It would take the largest linear air pump AES sells to get to your CFM requirement, even then it could fall just short. Honestly I would look into a blower for your application. Their smallest blower, S11A would be a good fit for your system. The only downside to using Sweetwater brand equipment is that you will pay a premium for it because of the quality ($480 for the blower you need). Another option is to get a Whitewater brand blower which is a low cost alternative. Quality is not quite as high, but they will work very well. Since it will be used indoors on a small system you arent exposing it to extreme conditions (outdoor, direct sunlight, etc) so it should last a while before you have any problems. A Whitewater brand blower sized for your system is $233 (WW29). What's nice about the Whitewater blowers is that they are a bit quieter than most other blowers so the noise factor wouldnt be such an issue compared to a Sweetwater brand blower.

My opinion, I would get the WW29 Whitewater brand blower that is half the cost of a Sweetwater brand blower. If money is not a huge issue, but you want long term reliability, then a Sweetwater blower will work as well.

-Ryan

timmy101
05-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Sponge filters will use 0.10cfm on average per filter. So 0.10 x 85 outlets = 8.5 cfm. Lets round that up a bit to 10cfm to accomodate for any additional outlets later down the road. Since the total run per row is 15ft im going to assume these are relatively small tanks (no higher than 20" each). a 20" tall tank will give us a resistance of 20" H2O pressure loss (air flow friction loss is given as inches of H2O, compared to ft of total dynamic head for a water pump). A 1" pipe would work perfectly. 10cfm through a 1" pipe will give us around 5" of H20 friction loss per 100' of pipe. So since we are talking less than 50' of pipe, the friction loss is minimal and not even worth mentioning. Our H20 friction loss total is around 20" (less of course if the tanks are shorter than 20"). 20" H20 friction loss equals just under 1 psi.

This is one of those situations where you are in between using a linear air pump or a small blower only because of the CFM required due to the high number of outlets. Psi requirements are not an issue. It would take the largest linear air pump AES sells to get to your CFM requirement, even then it could fall just short. Honestly I would look into a blower for your application. Their smallest blower, S11A would be a good fit for your system. The only downside to using Sweetwater brand equipment is that you will pay a premium for it because of the quality ($480 for the blower you need). Another option is to get a Whitewater brand blower which is a low cost alternative. Quality is not quite as high, but they will work very well. Since it will be used indoors on a small system you arent exposing it to extreme conditions (outdoor, direct sunlight, etc) so it should last a while before you have any problems. A Whitewater brand blower sized for your system is $233 (WW29). What's nice about the Whitewater blowers is that they are a bit quieter than most other blowers so the noise factor wouldnt be such an issue compared to a Sweetwater brand blower.

My opinion, I would get the WW29 Whitewater brand blower that is half the cost of a Sweetwater brand blower. If money is not a huge issue, but you want long term reliability, then a Sweetwater blower will work as well.

-Ryan

I just thought about something that I forgot yesterday is that I want to make a hatching rack for my angelfish but I dont know which side I should put it on, should I put it on the right side or on the left?

timmy101
05-07-2009, 12:04 AM

-Ryan

Do you know Jehmco has a WW29 Whitewater brand blower because all I see a HP Blower Central Air Pump and Diaphragm Air Pumps

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Just size it based upon your given size requirements.....10cfm @ <1 psi (25" H20). Their smallest blower, RBAT-.25, would fill your needs just fine.

-Ryan