PDA

View Full Version : WHat dsicus eyes are not red?

silent_thunder
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I read here never to purchase a discus that does not have red eyes...

ANd I did...darn it! Though they are juvies...

So.....what types dont have read eyes...

I will try and only ask ONE question....today =L=

Thanks

D

brewmaster15
05-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Red eyes are a trait that is very desireable...but it isn't a necessity for a healthy fish.... Its a preference. A bold red eye can make for a striking fish though.

Anyone thats a fan of wilds will tell you just how common amber eyes are.:)

hth,
al

Eddie
05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks

D

If your fish are very young, their eyes can still turn out red. As the fish grows, the redness will fill out.

One of my stunted Hero fish has black eyes, literally and black eyes are not a good sign but when this fish fights, his eyes turn super bright red! Its CRAZY!

Eddie

DonMD
05-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I've got a lovely tangerine with yellow eyes, foto attached. Don't know what others think, but I really like this fish, plus it displays a really vivid color, very brilliant. Hopefully the foto attached. Not the best quality, but hopefully you'll get an idea. -Don

Eddie
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Thats a great picture Don, the group together like that! Nice color contrast.

Eddie

Jhhnn
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Atleast 1 line of blue diamonds have yellow eyes, and it's apparently quite common for wild and near wild discus to have eye color ranging from yellow to orange to red. Sometimes discus have very dark red eyes, more of a maroon-brown color...

The brilliant red eyes of many domestic strains are something that breeders have sought and encouraged in their selection of breeding stock...

Eddie
05-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Here is my BD with a nice red eye.

Ed13
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks

D
White discus usually have white eyes and I've yet to see a yellow pigeon without amber eyes.

TankWatcher
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Don, I usually prefer discus with red eyes - but that tangerine with yellow eyes is just gorgeous! I'd love to have that fish.

My new white discus has a nice red eye & so does my blue diamond. I've been lucky with my wilds too. Nice red eyes - except for the heckels. Their eyes are amber.

DonMD
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Don, I prefer discus with red eyes - but that tangerine with yellow eyes is gorgeous. I'd love to have that fish.

My new white discus has a nice red eye & so does my blue diamond. I've been lucky with my wilds too. Nice red eyes - except for the heckels. Their eyes are amber.

Thanks. I really like this yellow-eyed tangerine, or whatever it is. It's about 6 inches, originating from Gwynbrook Farms in Maryland.

silent_thunder
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Here is my BD with a nice red eye.

WHat kind of discus is that Eddie? I am not sure what BD stands for....IMAGINE that!

D

manitu
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
it stands for blue diamond

gerald

TankWatcher
05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
BD = Blue Diamond

seanyuki
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
My full grown BD has no red eyes....the red colors fades as they gets older but was told feed them more Naturose the eyes will glow again.

Cheers
Francis:)

lemondiscus
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Red eyes are a trait that is very desireable...but it isn't a necessity for a healthy fish.... Its a preference. A bold red eye can make for a striking fish though.

Anyone thats a fan of wilds will tell you just how common amber eyes are.:)

hth,
al
Dark Amber/Black eyes are also common with Heckels ;)

Darrell Ward
05-11-2009, 03:13 PM
The Turq. in my avatar does not have red eyes. This fish is very old, but it still is my favorite fish. I've had him for years.

FLGirl1977
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Of my 7 wilds that I have, only two have red eyes. The rest have amber.. while the red is simply stunning (thank goodness those two paired up and have wigglers as we speak), the others look just as beautiful with their amber eyes! :)

Eddie
05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Of my 7 wilds that I have, only two have red eyes. The rest have amber.. while the red is simply stunning (thank goodness those two paired up and have wigglers as we speak), the others look just as beautiful with their amber eyes! :)

I really like amber eyes as well! ;)

Eddie

wgtaylor
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
These are two wild caught discus. One has red eyes and the other has amber or yellow eyes. Most prefer red eyes but I don't believe amber eyes detracts from the beauty of a discus. In a discus competition red eyes would get extra points but in our tanks who cares.:) Bill

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/royalblue01-02.jpg

Eddie
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Nice WCs you got there WG!

Eddie

lemondiscus
05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice WCs!!! I do really like the red eyed one... Heckels have that black bar through the head which usually goes through the eye too...

Unfortunately the Heckels are my only WC...

Eddie
05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice WCs!!! I do really like the red eyed one... Heckels have that black bar through the head which usually goes through the eye too...

My heckels have amber eyes...;)

Eddie

wgtaylor
05-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice WCs you got there WG!
Eddie
Thanks Eddie, we have all been inspired by your tanks and heckels.:D Bill

It is very typical of heckels, first, fifth and ninth bars being dark. I think the heckel darker eyes are one of the charactistics that make them heckel. Don't know how long you have had yours but give them time. They change so much as they mature. Bill

Eddie
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks Eddie, we have all been inspired by your tanks and heckels.:D Bill

Thanks Bill ;)

Take care,

Eddie

TankWatcher
05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Most of the time, my heckels have amber eyes. The black bar goes through the middle of the eye & that part of the eye is black to match. For some reason, at times there is a red look to their eye - but mainly they stay amber.

My BD is an adult and has retained his red eye.

Nice wilds Bill.

Renee, that's exciting about your red eyed wilds having wigglers.

wgtaylor
05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I noticed on my fish, all the ones with the amber eyes tend to get darker as they get older. With my wild blues the red eyes stay red unless they stress than the first bar shows through the eye. The wild greens seem to always have red eyes. The heckels have such dominate first, fifth and ninth bar , both the red eyed and amber eyed can appear darker more than the other species. Catch that heckel in the right mood though and their eyes glow. Bill

This young heckels eyes still appear fairly red.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/heckelredeyes.jpg

Now this one appears less stressed but the amber eyes appear darker.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/heckelambereyes.jpg