PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Ryan
05-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Soooo... it looks like I'm raising the control group of fish for this year's challenge. I've already chewed off all my fingernails. This is nerve-wracking. :laugh:

I've been here since day one as a co-admin but I realize that I don't post as actively about my fish and some of you may not know me very well. I have been a discus enthusiast for a long time but it's not always been practical or possible for me to keep them. I recently bought my first home and now I have the room and the resources available to actively get back into the discus hobby.

I've always been a cichlid keeper and spent a lot of my time working with angelfish. Lately I've been keeping severums, festivums, angelfish, uaru, and some other smaller cichlids.

I'll be raising out the control group in the same way that I raised my last batch of discus: bare-bottom 55 gallon to start (I'll probably upgrade to a 75 in a few months), sponge filters and an AquaClear filter, 85°F water, five or six small feedings a day on a variety of frozen and dry foods including bloodworms, beefheart, mysis shrimp, and ONF1, and daily water changes of 50% - 100%. This is the most recommended method on Simply and a variety of other discus sites, so I'll be sticking with this method. As our last contest proved, though, you don't need that particular recipe for success.

It's a real pleasure to be offered a chance to raise out the control group for this contest and I look forward to watching everyone's fish grow alongside mine over the next several months. Let's have some fun!

Ryan

seanyuki
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
I will be following all those threads and learn from everyone here.
good luck to your new challenge.:)

Cheers
Francis:)

Diamond Discus
05-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Good luck Ryan, (like you'll need any luck). ;) These are some great fish to grow out. What size will the be to start with??

brewmaster15
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Good luck Ryan, (like you'll need any luck). ;) These are some great fish to grow out. What size will the be to start with?? Sue these fish are in the 3" size total length.

-al

kirkp
05-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Hey Ryan,

Looking forward to the competition with you. You do a lot for SD so I will have some remorse kicking your butt. :) Looking forward to seeing how things go for you.

Best of luck.

Kirk

Kenny's Discus
05-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Thank you Ryan for raising the control group of this year's challenge. Also thank you so much for always being here taking good care of this forum. You might not post much but your behind-the-scene work are very much appreciated by all!

Take care Ryan and all the best to you!:)

Kenny

rickztahone
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
if Al himself couldnt be the control you would have been my first choice Ryan. your discus will be the measuring stick to gauge the rest. congrats and we hope to hear from you and your discus through regular updates

GrillMaster
05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Very nice control group pick! :) Show us how its done bud!! :thumbsup:

Ryan
05-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Too much pressure! lol.

Thanks for checking in, everybody. I can't wait until Al ships out the fish and we get the ball rolling.

fishyj
05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
That great Ryan, all the pressure is on you and not me. lol Good luck to you. I just hope I can grow them as big as you.

brewmaster15
05-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Too much pressure! lol.

Thanks for checking in, everybody. I can't wait until Al ships out the fish and we get the ball rolling. Pressure? compared to what you've dealt with building this place over years...nah.. You'll do awesome Ryan.:)

and I can't wait to ship them out either....:)

-al

Scribbles
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Good luck Ryan and thank you so much for all of your hard work to help make SD possible.

Chris

Eddie
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Sounds like you have an excellent plan Ryan, best of luck and thanks for the intro!

Take care,

Eddie

Darren's Discus
05-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Ryan,
As we have seen in the past,you certainly know how to grow up a beautiful discus.all the best with the control group.

cheers

calihawker
05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Is reading your posts something like looking at someone elses test paper ;)

Thanks again Ryan and good luck to you!

wgtaylor
05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of nice discus come from Florida, guess that's one of the places where a lot of good discus people hang out.:fish:
We will be following your lead.......what pressure :)? Best whishes to you Ryan.
Bill

MostlyDiscus
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Good Luck to you Ryan, I put it out there that you kick KirkP s little discus fins off

Ed

2075turner
05-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Pressure????:confused::confused:

I believe that it would be us that feels the pressure to keep up.;)

Thanks for all the hard work that you do to keep this site as great as it is and I look forward to seeing where the bar is at with your fish.

Evelyn:)

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
best of luck Ryan, this should be a good show ;) I love this competition because people HAVE to do picture updates :D:D gotta love pictures updates!

-Jason-

kirkp
05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Ed, you should also put out there my response to you :) I should have known that it was a mistake to start talking trash :(

Kirk

MostlyDiscus
05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
LOL... ya, trash talking should start 9 months into it:bandana:. Nothing personal though, You may win it outright and then Im the one swimming into the sunset with my little fins behind me.

Ed

fishyj
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Ryan, the pressure is on you. I've only been keeping discus 6 months. I am the long shot in this challenge.

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Good luck Ryan hope all goes well my friend

Regards
Ahmed ;)

two utes
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Heheheh...Have fun Ryan...this time you will be looking at this challenge form the inside out.

Have fun mate!!:D

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Good luck Ryan. You don't know me either but it is ok. I am just another discus enthusiast (Ok, junkie) here with the rest of the group. It will be an honor to see your control group and how they turn out. Let the games begin!!!!

BTW, after the contest do the contestants get to keep their contest entries?
Man o man I can't wait to see these babies grow!! Good luck and god speed!!

brewmaster15
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
BTW, after the contest do the contestants get to keep their contest entries?
Man o man I can't wait to see these babies grow!! Good luck and god speed!! Absolutely, the fish are theirs to keep.:)

-al

subcooler
05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Best of luck to all the contestants!
I'm sure this years challenge will be awsome!
Looking forward to seeing the growth progress, pics & updates.

Rob

YSS
06-09-2009, 07:40 PM
How do you win this contest? The biggest discus wins?