PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Chad Hughes
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
My name is Chad Hughes and I live in San Diego, CA. I am honored to have been selected as one of this year's SD hobbiest challengers.

I have kept aquariums since I was 6 years old. When I was in high school I started an aquarium cleaning service with the help of my grandfather. He was a realestate agent, so in no time I had a slew of contacts and customers! He used to run me all over town in he afternoons to clean the tanks of the customers he got me. When I left high school to attend college I quit keeping fish and abondoned the business.

Well, my softmore year of college the bug hit again. I was doing really well with school and work and had some extra cash, so I went bigger than I had ever gone and bought a 180 gallon tank, set up a marine tank and had a 2foot nurse shark in it until I graduated. Naturally, my house was the coolest with the big tank and a shark! LOL!

After college I, once again, shut down the aquarium and joined the U.S. Navy and toured four about 7 years. Most of my time was spent in Japan and San Diego, CA. After the Navy, I began a job as an electrical engineer in San Diego, CA. Since that time I also spent 2 years in Iraq working with the Navy, Army and Marine Corps. It was a proud time for me working with all those sailors, soldiers and marines. Iraq is a god for saken place, especially where most of the US troops are. I spent those two years between Mosul, Tikrit and Balad. I traveled all over the Middle East, Asia and Europe. It was good to return home.

Today I have 18 adult discus living in a variety of tanks throughout the house. I have a 150 and a 110 that are my discus show pieces. Spawning has gotten so frequent that I am building on our property to start making space for a new fish room. I hope to have it completed this summer and hopefully start filling it with tanks and discus then. I am slowly developing my hobby of discus keeping in to discus breeding. It's been a lot of fun and I have had excellent success!

I learned about SD late in the game. I had no idea what a great source of information and experience was out there. I read things on this site that I would have probably never been aware of, especially the disease section. I had no idea that discus could have such complex problems. I have been one of the lucky (few apparently) people that have not had to deal with any disease, but I'm glad I have you all to come to if and when I do. You're like my extended discus loving family!

For this years challenge I'll be utilizing my own tried and true methods of raising discus. The stock that I receive will begin their grow out process in their own, dedicated 110 gallon tank. The tank will be planted with a play sand substrate bottom. Filtration consists of a fluval 405 and possibly a sponge filter or two. Feedings will be kept at 4 daily with a variety of foods. I make all of my own foods with the exception of blood worm (obviously). Water changes for fry in this size tank are typically twice weekly at 50% changeover. More may be done if circumstances dictate.

All of this will be accurately recorded and reported through this thread. I look forward to posting results of this challenge step by step! It should be exciting. Best wishes to all of you!

MikeF
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey Chad,

Congrads on the new fish that you will be receiving in a week or so. I will definately be following your thread, to see how your fish grow in a planted tank. I will also be interested in the water changing that you will be doing. I know that this is always a big issue on the forum, and will be interested in seeing if more water changes are better than just a few a week. Your water changes are how I do mine. I also saw that on Ryan's thread that he will be doing dailey water changes. It will be interesting for sure. Good luck.

Diamond Discus
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
This is great. I love that you are using a planted tank for your challenge fish. I'll be watching this closely. Good luck!

calihawker
05-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Good luck Chad! This is gonna be great!

Chad Hughes
05-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys and gals!

I know that my methods are a bit unconventional, but I thinnk they work. It WILL be exciting to see the results.

Now, lets all hurry up and wait! Haha!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
05-11-2009, 04:59 PM
congrats Chad. I was just congratulating Steve for being the only Californian and I see two now which makes me happy. i know about the water situation over at San Diego so your method as far as WC seems to be the best approach. the other thing you have working for you is the fact that you have raised discus in a planted tank before so we jnow you can do it. once again congrats and i look forward to your "unconventional" method for a contrast in tactic.

Chad Hughes
05-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Ricardo,

Thank you for the congrats!

Yes, those of us who are in the San Diego area are certainly in a unique situation. As you well know, water is somewhat a national tresure in these parts. That being said, I have been forced to be a bit creative with how I do things with my discus. I have to say it's been a challenge and am looking forward to allowing this contest to be a platform for "alternate" discus rearing strategies.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Best wishes!

GrillMaster
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Conrats on bein chosen in this years challenge Chad!! I have an eye on this one! :D :D

fishyj
05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Good luck Chad growing these fish. I think its great to try them in a planted tank. I can't wait to get my new fish and try growing them.

Eddie
05-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Good luck Chad! ;)

Eddie

Darren's Discus
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
All the best with the challenge Chad.

cheers

Scribbles
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Congratulations Chad and good luck. As someone who also raises discus unconventionaly (plants/substrate) I will be eagerly watching this contest.

Best of luck

Chris

MRQuad
05-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Goodluck Chad!

wgtaylor
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Chad, congratulations.
Sounds like you are going to have a beautiful setup to view. Your tank will one to check often. Hope everything goes well for you all year. Bill

Chad Hughes
05-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks to all! I am as excited abou thtis as you are to see how this all goes. I'll keep you posted!

Best wishes!

Goki27
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Congrats Chad!, I def be tracking this thread =D

best of Luck!

.....Favian.....d[-_-]b

MostlyDiscus
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow,,, so many great challengers going for this. I can't wait to see the pics as the fish grow out. For the record, I will take Ryan over Kirk:p. I am sure everyone will give it 100 percent. GLGD(good luck and good discus) to all.

Ed

acroken
05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Chad,
I am always interested in your posts and you really seam to have a good perspective on things. It will be interesting to see and understanding more of your technique. Best of luck to you!

Kenny

Chad Hughes
05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone!

I didn't realize it when I posted up my introduction, but it seems that I am going to be the only one going against the grain when it comes to traditional discus grow out. Although I am certain we will all see great results in our grow out strategies, I'll be sure to post every detail of my process as it takes place.

I guess the process will be two fold. Growing out discus and maintaining a planted environment that meets the needs of discus and plants. Again, thank you for all of the support and "eyes on" this thread. It's going to be great!

Best wishes and good luck to all the participants.

kirkp
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey Chad,

Can't wait to see your setup. Going against the grain doesn't mean you can't kick some serious booty. Can't wait to see your setup. Best of luck in the competition.

Kirk

Ed, to tell the truth, you're a smart man for betting on Ryan. I know I am. ;)

Kirk

bluwaters
05-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Chad,
I am really looking forward to watching your discus in particular.
I also prefer to keep and grow out my fish in planted tanks.
Congratulations!

rickztahone
05-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone!

I didn't realize it when I posted up my introduction, but it seems that I am going to be the only one going against the grain when it comes to traditional discus grow out. Although I am certain we will all see great results in our grow out strategies, I'll be sure to post every detail of my process as it takes place.

I guess the process will be two fold. Growing out discus and maintaining a planted environment that meets the needs of discus and plants. Again, thank you for all of the support and "eyes on" this thread. It's going to be great!

Best wishes and good luck to all the participants.
hey Chad, i can't recall if you use co2 in your planted tanks?

2075turner
05-13-2009, 07:21 AM
Good luck with your fishies Chad. I too like the look of Discus in a planted tank. I have just recently started to introduce plants into a couple of my tanks, but only with the adults. I look forward in seeing your results with the juvies. Take care, Evelyn:)

calihawker
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Can't wait to see it Chad! Is this going to be an established community or do they get a whole new crib all to themselves?

TankWatcher
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Good luck Chad. I love a planted tank, so am especially looking forward to seeing yours.

sp33dy25
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
congrats !

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Good luck Chad!! cant wait to see your fish when you recieve them! I liked ur intro. I bet you were the coolest house on the block with that shark tank ;):D

Chad Hughes
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
hey Chad, i can't recall if you use co2 in your planted tanks?

Yes, all of the planted tanks utilize CO2 with Ph controllers. I have just started to experiment with ozone as well. I'll give you guys a full description of how it's set up to include some pictures when it's all ready.

Good luck with your fishies Chad. I too like the look of Discus in a planted tank. I have just recently started to introduce plants into a couple of my tanks, but only with the adults. I look forward in seeing your results with the juvies. Take care, Evelyn:)

I love planted tanks and discus in a planted tank is the best look for fresh water setups. We're kind of getting a jump start with these fish though. 3" IMHO is not juvenile although they are still very young and there is considerable growth to be had. I'll keep you posted!

Can't wait to see it Chad! Is this going to be an established community or do they get a whole new crib all to themselves?

The seyup will be dedicated to the contest fish at first. I'm likely going to add a few other 3" fish to the contest fish at some point. I'll put them in the 110 for a month or so to let them get established. Sort of like a QT so to speak. I have 6 young carnation snakeskin (about 2" right now) that will likely be tank mates with the contest fish. That's a couple months away though. I'll keep you posted!

Good luck Chad. I love a planted tank, so am especially looking forward to seeing yours.

Good luck Chad!! cant wait to see your fish when you recieve them! I liked ur intro. I bet you were the coolest house on the block with that shark tank ;):D

I'll be posting pictures from day 1, so keep your eyes peel! Like I really need to tell any of you guys that. LOL! Yes, it was the coolest house on campus. Who wouldn't love a shark tank? ;-)

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Good luck Chad. Don't forget all I taught you about TDS ! LOL Keen to see this one through!

Chad Hughes
05-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Kath,

How could I possibly forget? Have a great weekend!

Best wishes

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Good luck in the com Chad

Regards
Ahmed ;)

two utes
05-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Good luck with your chosen method of raising your group of discus Chad.
I sure look forward to the progress of your fish.
Can't wait to see some pictures of your new discus.

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Good luck Chad. I didn't know there were two fellow Californian's either. I am so excited to see this start. Let's get some fish shipped :D

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Can't wait til you have them in your planted tank Chad! Have fun raising them out. Congratulations again!:)

Kenny

Chad Hughes
05-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Kenny, All-

Thanks for the kind words! I am really looking forward to receiving these beautiful discus. I just got word from Al that they should ship out and be here on Thursday. That's my cue to get my butt in gear! Naturally once the shipment arrives, the photos will follow, so keep your eyes peeled! This is gonna be fun!!

Take care and best wishes!

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Kenny, All-

Thanks for the kind words! I am really looking forward to receiving these beautiful discus. I just got word from Al that they should ship out and be here on Thursday. That's my cue to get my butt in gear! Naturally once the shipment arrives, the photos will follow, so keep your eyes peeled! This is gonna be fun!!

Take care and best wishes!

Can't wait to see your set-up Chad!

good luck,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Can't wait to see your set-up Chad!

good luck,

Eddie

Eddie,

I'll be taking some photos in the coming days. The tank that I am using for the contest discus was not always a discus tank. I started converting it last night.

It's a 110 tall and was the living room show tank for a few years. Mostly had community fish. Last night I stripped it, changed the background from black to light blue, sterilized it and changed the sand. I like to run the first 24 hours with tap water to allow the bacterial filter a better chance of surviving without bioload (higher Ph, like 8.7).

Tonight I'll drain the tank and fill it with the dicus mix (tap/RO/DI). I have some new parts coming in for the filtration system. I haven't connected the sump yet. Maybe tonight. To that I'll be adding the CO2 reactor, Ozone reactor and carbon reactor.

That's about it! Pictures to follow once it's all put together.

Best wishes!

Mr Wild
05-19-2009, 07:09 PM
OMG so may "reactors" do you light up to! LOL

Chad Hughes
05-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Kath,

Thanks for reminding me! I forgot the nuclear reactor. LOL!

I just went back and re-read what I wrote. It does sound a bit crazy! LOL!

Best wishes!

Eddie
05-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Eddie,

I'll be taking some photos in the coming days. The tank that I am using for the contest discus was not always a discus tank. I started converting it last night.

It's a 110 tall and was the living room show tank for a few years. Mostly had community fish. Last night I stripped it, changed the background from black to light blue, sterilized it and changed the sand. I like to run the first 24 hours with tap water to allow the bacterial filter a better chance of surviving without bioload (higher Ph, like 8.7).

Tonight I'll drain the tank and fill it with the dicus mix (tap/RO/DI). I have some new parts coming in for the filtration system. I haven't connected the sump yet. Maybe tonight. To that I'll be adding the CO2 reactor, Ozone reactor and carbon reactor.

That's about it! Pictures to follow once it's all put together.

Best wishes!

Sounds good Chad, bet your excited and anxious to get them beauty's settled in at the house. Your set-up is definitely gonna be interesting! One to watch for sure!

Take care bro,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Eddie,

Thanks brother! I know you'll be watching! I'll really be excited to see how the different methods measure up. Let the games begin!

Best wishes!

David Rose
07-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Let me join in with the gang in wishing you the best of luck with this challenge!

Best,
David

Chad Hughes
07-12-2009, 01:41 PM
David,

Thanks so much and welcome to SD!

Best wishes!

Ad7
07-31-2010, 04:34 AM
Where are the updates? Can someone point me in the right direction?

DiscusKev
07-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Where are the updates? Can someone point me in the right direction?

The contest is over, so there will be no update. For more info, check out the link below.

Winner:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80554

People's Choice award:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=80555

Ad7
08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Thank you. I just wanted to look at his set up and read his progress reports during the comp.

calihawker
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Just start at the oldest posts and work your way up!:)

Disgirl
09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Just wondering about all the contest fish! Any of the contestants have breeding fish from their group yet? If so I would love to see some pictures of the parents and fry. I know there were lots of eggs produced during the later parts of the contest, must be some fry by now!
Barb:)

cranford
09-30-2010, 09:47 AM
i have been away from the us for about 2 years now,, i see the challenge is going very well indeed, the fish look great. When are we haveing a challenge for the Memberes overseas ;) .:angel: