PDA

View Full Version : Background Poll

calihawker
05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
OK so lets get a quick poll going here.

Now that we know what strain we're dealing with, I want to know what everybody thinks would be the best background to accentuate the colors of these fish as well as reduce the amount of peppering.

There's another question for you experts. Does this strain pepper?

Kenny's Discus
05-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello Steve,

Albinos don't pepper due to lack of black pigment...now here's one less variable to worry about brother.:)

Have fun setting up the new tank/background Steve!

Kenny

calihawker
05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks Kenny!

I'm gonna have to come visit you over there on the peninsula one of these days ;)

GrillMaster
05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Black...:D

Congrats on the bein one of the chosen ones Steve! Good luck to ya...:thumbsup:

Eddie
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Black...:D

Congrats on the bein one of the chosen ones Steve! Good luck to ya...:thumbsup:

Sky blue, exactly like the confused smiley, exactly that color. :confused:

Eddie

Ryan
05-11-2009, 07:35 PM
This is an interesting question. Since there's no black pigment, I'm thinking a black background might really bring out the reds and yellows in the fish. My tank's painted light blue but that's because I wasn't anticipating albinos :D

I have a feeling that a darker background (dark blue, dark green, black, etc.) will make these fish pop. I'm afraid the light background may wash them out a bit.

I better go scrub this paint off. ;)

GrillMaster
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
This is an interesting question. Since there's no black pigment, I'm thinking a black background might really bring out the reds and yellows in the fish. My tank's painted light blue but that's because I wasn't anticipating albinos :D

I have a feeling that a darker background (dark blue, dark green, black, etc.) will make these fish pop. I'm afraid the light background may wash them out a bit.

I better go scrub this paint off. ;)

Just look at post #3 in this thread and see for yourself. ;) :D

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70897

Scribbles
05-11-2009, 10:30 PM
I was thinking black too. I think that would make their color really pop.

Best of luck

Chris

calihawker
05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Just look at post #3 in this thread and see for yourself. ;) :D

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70897

Ohh, that does look good. I wonder if I should encompass the sides as well?

GrillMaster
05-12-2009, 07:24 AM
I would with whatever color you decide on Steve, they will settle in better for ya. Less distracations for em that way. :)

I was actually thinking (I do that sometimes). The faster they settle in for you and start eating the better. I know Kennys and Al's tanks have lighter backgrounds. I believe they are coming from Al's tanks. Going from that to a black background tank might cause them to take a lil longer to settle in. I could be wrong. (I do that sometimes). :D :D

TankWatcher
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I agree that albinos look great against black. If I had a tank dedicated to albinos, black's what I'd choose. But I suspect these fish will look great, no matter what.

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Man I wish I would have read this when I switched my contest tank from black to light blue! LOL! Although I am happy with the light blue, I'm curious how they would look with the black background. Hmmm.....

kirkp
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
My choice was based on using color theory and pulling a complimentary color off of a color wheel. Not sure it made sense but it's the best this engineer can do.

Kirk