PDA

View Full Version : Just got 10 0ne inch

crystalview
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I just got a mix of 10 one inch discus. I have had mating pairs before but I did not breed them because they had been rescued and had problem. I know that many of the 10 could die but he had over 200 in a 50g tank and it pissed me off. They are several colors so the parents he had in there may not have been theirs. What do you suggest to acculate them and to get them to grow the first few weeks. He said he was feeding them frozen worms. Aren't they two small for that and not nutrious enough? Please advise. Thanks.

rickztahone
05-13-2009, 02:28 AM
I just got a mix of 10 one inch discus. I have had mating pairs before but I did not breed them because they had been rescued and had problem. I know that many of the 10 could die but he had over 200 in a 50g tank and it pissed me off. They are several colors so the parents he had in there may not have been theirs. What do you suggest to acculate them and to get them to grow the first few weeks. He said he was feeding them frozen worms. Aren't they two small for that and not nutrious enough? Please advise. Thanks.

yes it has been recent belief that youngsters can not properly digest FBW. you can always feed brine shrimp at that age and maybe some flakes and such. i do not have any experience with discus that small but i'm sure others will chime in here and guide you in the right direction. i know raising discus from that small is a tough full time job, so be prepared

Elite Aquaria
05-13-2009, 04:21 AM
1" fish need to eat 6-8 times per day. I feed my fish a beef hart/shrimp mix I prepare, Frozen Blood worms and Mysis shrimp. I am not into much flake food these days. I also continue to feed them live baby brine shrimp as long as they will eat it normally 6 - 8 weeks of age. Good luck

mmorris
05-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I know that many of the 10 could die ...

Is there anything about their behavior that has you worried? I agree with Dan; just be sure to shave the bh to pieces small enough for them to eat.

crystalview
05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I am just concerned. It is a tough size to keep alive let alone adjust to moving. I watched and fed them every few hours (the little pigs). It was hard trying to see if everybody ate. If I run into a problem I will repost you can bet on that!

adamsite
05-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Just curious, you are near me in location, I'm in Sac. Where did you get your fish. Who had 200 in a 50g!!

kaceyo
05-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I feed mine frozen BW's at that size, w/no problems. As Martha said, be sure to shave it down to small bites they can fit in their mouths. Frozen BS and BH are good also and can usually be found at a lfs.
They need to be fed frequently and water should be changed often, daily is best.

Kacey

Moon
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I have close to 100 one inch fry that are being grown out. I feed mine a variety of powdered flake, beef hart mix and BBS. The most important thing is daily WC. Mine are on a drip system and get 100% WC daily.

1nvad3r
05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey Moon are you selling any of them anytime soon ? and what kind of strain

thanks

Moon
05-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Moon are you selling any of them anytime soon ? and what kind of strain

thanks

Check your PM

crystalview
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
It took the 1"ers 24hrs before they took food. They have not been around movement so If all my family is home I cover them so they can slowly get use to us.
They have lived in a bare tank. I have them all by themselves in a planted tank running a UV 24/7. I am doing daily WC for now until they get bigger I didn't WC but once a week for my big pair.
Can you train them to come to the worm cup? Maybe set up a tap pattern when there are worms? I grow California Black worms and I have taught them to eat them in an old ash tray on the gravel. This way the worms won't run away from them for now.
Somebody must have fed them from the sponge filter. I put some beef heart flakes on mine. They were picking at it before this.
My stress level has dropped just because I get to play with my fish. Isn't that ridiculous?

Eddie
05-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Can you train them to come to the worm cup? Maybe set up a tap pattern when there are worms?

Sorry but that is easily one of the funniest things I have ever read, no offense. This is hilarious. LOL

Eddie

mmorris
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I highly recommend you remove the gravel. You'll have a heck of a time keeping that tank clean.

crystalview
05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Sorry but that is easily one of the funniest things I have ever read, no offense. This is hilarious. LOL
Eddie

I feel really silly :p now. I know they will become pigs soon enough. I have just never feed ones this small

I highly recommend you remove the gravel. You'll have a heck of a time keeping that tank clean.

I had gravel with my adult pair what would be the difference. I have a hot shot magnum micro filter, I run when I vac ( its easy). I will just take it slowly so not to scare them.
I do daily WC and check the top of the gravel to see if its dirty but mostly just change the water. They do have a lot of waste so as they grow this will change. I don't plan on keeping but half of them.

Eddie
05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't worry about it, just made me laugh. It was funny to read. ;)

Eddie

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Fish have different personalities just like us humans :p

Sometimes it just takes time for things to work right :confused:

Sometimes it just doesn't, I hope all goes well for your newbies :D

I like that ash tray ritual, sounds great :)

Regards
Ahmed ;)

crystalview
05-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I like the clear ash tray because I can suck the food right out when they are done. Since they cruise for food all the time I find that they can blow on it and find it easy. Which they have!
I had a slight problem last night. I did my 50% wc and then I used my magnum hot shot micro filter to vac. I am wondering if I stirred up anorobic bacteria, and it could have come out the hot shot even though it has a new filter tube. I have had this same reaction from other tanks but only once in a while. Well about an hour after the change and clean the discus babies where up at the top. They had been playful all day all around the tank. I of course changed over 50% of the water and increased the air bubbles. I have found with this tank I must have extra bubbles or I get them all floating at the top at one time or another. It is 36"x 12''x 24"T. Others have said the same thing about this and the 67g I just got.
I don't have a lot of uncoated gravel but I just don't like bare tanks. My pair lasted 3yrs before the oops with the dam water up here.

tcyiu
05-18-2009, 01:38 AM
I am wondering if I stirred up anorobic bacteria, and it could have come out the hot shot even though it has a new filter tube. I have had this same reaction from other tanks but only once in a while. Well about an hour after the change and clean the discus babies where up at the top.
I don't have a lot of uncoated gravel but I just don't like bare tanks.

How thick is the layer of gravel? If the gravel is more than 2 inches and you seldom sift through them, you may have anaerobic activity in the deep reaches of the gravel.

Anaerobic bacteria by themselves are not harmful. It is their byproduct: methane, various acids and ammonia which can harm your fish. Those chemicals will not be taken out by your Magnum.

The best bet is NOT to have these to begin with ... which means, keep your gravel layer as shallow as possible so that anaerobic bacteria cannot grow.

When I clean gravel, I use a gravel attachment to sift the gravel and siphon the detritus out of the tank as part of the water change. In that way, any harmful chemicals released in the sifting action gets sucked up and out of the tank. Unfortunately, what you're doing with your Magnum is releasing the bad chemicals, sucking them into the filter which does NOT remove the chemicals, and spitting that back into the tank.

Do a large water change to remove whatever bad chemicals were released into the water. I would consider moving the fish to a hospital tank and doing a deep cleaning of the gravel. The only caveat is that when you put the fish back in, you will need to ensure there is enough biological filtration. This is because deep cleaning of gravel generally causes some loss of good bacteria.

Tim

crystalview
05-18-2009, 01:53 AM
I had to increase my water pressure valve and then I could use the python sucking tube section. I changed the water and cleaned the gravel. The canister filter still held enough bacteria so I could add the fish back in. I removed all but 2'' of the gravel. Won't magnum again. I had feared I had over fed in my nervousness of them not eating. There was a lot of mulm there. If they make it to at least 3" or more. They are so stressed now.

poconogal
05-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Can you train them to come to the worm cup? Maybe set up a tap pattern when there are worms?
LOL, that does sound funny! But, my friend has a Teacup Ray in with her Discus. She uses a turkey baster to suck up CBW from her tupperware container and then taps a rock in the tank with it. When she taps the rock, the Ray comes zooming over and picks itself up, waiting for her to squirt the worms under her. Someone else I know taps the side of their Discus tank and from that the fish know its time to eat! My Discus know the time the auto feeder dumps pellets and they also know the sound it makes. They are usually ready and waiting at the back of the tank under the place where the food drops from, and if I hit the button to make the feeder feed manually, seems they somehow "hear" the sound of the feeder and spin around and over to the food coming down.

kaceyo
05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
That's what I was thinking Connie. It may sound funny but it's very do-able.
I read an article long ago about a guy who trained his oscar to pull on the end of a string which was set up to drop food into the tank. Some fish, especially cichlids, are alot smarter than we give them credit for.

Kacey

plecocicho
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I thought a domestic scalare as a part of ethological studies to pull one string, wait fo rthe light to come on and then put another string to become a treat in the shape of few frozen chironomous larvae.

kaceyo
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I thought a domestic scalare as a part of ethological studies to pull one string, wait fo rthe light to come on and then put another string to become a treat in the shape of few frozen chironomous larvae.

That would be an interesting experiment. There was alot more involved with the oscar experiment, but I read about it long ago and don't remember the details. I wonder how many steps you could add to the test before the fish wouldn't be able to remember them all.