PDA

View Full Version : Just a little weird.

calihawker
05-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Ok, so in my intro I said that this would be a place where I would not only post updates, pictures and video but a place we could chat and get to know each other a little better and since there's nothing to post at the moment, I thought I would share an apiphany I had today.

I think I'm a little weird.

I was in San Francisco today meeting with some of my band mates and the producer to talk about the scheduling and direction of our next record. It's been a while since I've seen my bro's so there's a lot of "hey! what's up? whataya doin" that sort of stuff and I'm SOOOO! excited about this contest that I kinda blurted out what was going on and the look I got from these guy's was just classic. "Your in a competition to raise... fish....OK".

Yeah I get it. It's not exactly something the average hardcore metal guitarist usually does with his free time but ya know, oh well. Alice Cooper hid for years the fact that he was a scratch golfer. Bad for the image.

Anyway I'm driving home with my wife and I ask her if she thought it was kinda weird and she said "yeah it's a kinda weird". I thought about it all the way home and came to the conculsion that whatever your passion is, whether it's fish or fantasy football, most people just aren't gonna get it and some will think your headed for the loony bin:D

So tell me your stories. How intense do you get in this hobby? (way of life?). I know there are alot of VERY serious hobbiests here. Does your significant other think your just nuts? Do you have friends that shake their heads in bewilderment?

Come on, share your stories :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Wellp, alot significant others will be jealous of how much time we spend with, and how much we love our fish lol:p. but really, whatever makes u happy, thats what life is all about, its too short to spend it not being happy. I know how happy this hobby makes all of us, and thats a genuinely awesome thing. Most of my friends give me a hard time about how much I love my fish, but who cares what they think, I think their fools for not having a hobby haha. Its a positive characteristic in my mind, to be able to make urself happy with a hobby, or several :), and not have to rely on others all the time for that. (cept the fish :D) ...just my two pennies ;)

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 01:52 AM
and you know what else man, dont even worry about ur metal head image or compare it with the golf or anything...your just a man who enjoys fine exotic pets, since when is that a problem?!:D;) lol:bandana:

rickztahone
05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
it's funny you mention it Steve. I have a friend who came to my house when i only had my 55 setup. after a while he came around again and i had the 125 setup as well. and lastly he came again and i had the 30 for QT and finally he asks me, "dude, are you compensating for something?" and i just starting laughing my butt off. i guess my friends have a certain image of me but deep down not only do i love discus but i love having hobbies and i get pretty passionate about them. when i tell them something like, "naw man i have to go home and do a water change" they look at me like a complete crazy person

calihawker
05-14-2009, 01:59 AM
and you know what else man, dont even worry about ur metal head image or compare it with the golf or anything...your just a man who enjoys fine exotic pets, since when is that a problem?!:D;) lol:bandana:

That's what I'm talking about Jason. Well said. I think that was the point I was trying to make. It just dosen't matter what anyone else thinks and would it really matter anyway? Dosen't curb my enthusiasm one bit:D

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 02:00 AM
it's funny you mention it Steve. I have a friend who came to my house when i only had my 55 setup. after a while he came around again and i had the 125 setup as well. and lastly he came again and i had the 30 for QT and finally he asks me, "dude, are you compensating for something?" and i just starting laughing my butt off. i guess my friends have a certain image of me but deep down not only do i love discus but i love having hobbies and i get pretty passionate about them. when i tell them something like, "naw man i have to go home and do a water change" they look at me like a complete crazy person

haha, i hear you big time bro. I say the same thing about the WCs to my friends, but you know what, I dont let them get to me. I just keep talkin bout my fish, and showin them, and all that, then eventually they just realize "hey, whatever makes you happy" kinda thing :D:p

majik
05-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Haha yes my friends and family think im nuts but they know how much it means to me.The funny thing is when my partner tells them "its all about the fish" they think shes jokeing ,shes not:D.
When a fish is sick my mum rings to see "how the fish is doing" if a fish dies my family give me space:angel:
And my family are quite used to me sleeping on the couch or in the fish room if somethings up and i need to check them.
My partners work enables her to feed them at lunch time and when i get home my first words are whos had what to eat.
All in all you have to have your THING for some its gardening some its golf whatever blows your hair back and gives you true pleasure :)

poconogal
05-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Yes, hubby and co-workers just shake their heads by now. They realize how crazy I am about fish. But hubby has his own hobby that I shake my head at, so it works out well. I also guess that's why my 2 best friends are both animal lovers like me and are passionate about their furry and finned friends too. One of them is just as crazy about fish as I am and a fellow Discus keeper, so we each understand when the other says talk to you later, got to do a WC, LOL!

Eddie
05-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Oh man, do I get beat up at work! The guys at work give the hardest time about it. This one guy always shakes his head and says "man Eddie....I never took you for a fish guy". He says "Fish....of all things, FISH". LOL

Now my wife, she does not understand it AT ALL. She pretty much says that I am cheating on her with my fish. Constantly comments on how crazy I am and she does not know how I could be so passionate about fish.

The important thing for me, is that I am passionate about something and it's positive. Thats all that matters. ;)

Eddie

keef
05-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Don't worry about it my man. Keeping fish and being in a band can work, I have managed it for the last 20 years. As the shows get more infrequent the fish seem to multiply! However the real headache comes when you hit the road and suddenly it's all about 'what am I gonna do with my Fish? Who's gonna look after 'em?" I guess I used to fret over my fish more than my girlfriend (now wife) when I was on the road! Oh yeah & I reguarly get called 'fishboy' by my bandmates. It's all part of the fun!

brewmaster15
05-14-2009, 06:30 AM
So tell me your stories. How intense do you get in this hobby? (way of life?). I know there are alot of VERY serious hobbiests here. Does your significant other think your just nuts? Do you have friends that shake their heads in bewilderment?

Hmm...Lets see, Along with Ryan I run an internet site dedicated to a species of Fish....It alone takes up hours of my time. I have a hobby hatchery of 2500 gals of water for Fish. I host get togethers of large numbers of Discus Hobbyists at my home. I welcome many Hobbyists here for visits to talk Fish. My circle of friends is largely "fish"people as is the list of Numbers on my cell phone.. So How do "YOU" think I look to my non-fishy friends and family?;):D:D:D Thankfully..if my wife thinks I am a "little weird" she spares me from hearing it... My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!:)

-al

Eddie
05-14-2009, 06:47 AM
My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!:)

-al

And thats all that matters Al, as long as the kids think we are the coolest, that is really all that matters! ;)

Eddie

Diamond Discus
05-14-2009, 08:22 AM
My husband completely does not get it at all. He can't understand how I can be that crazy over a fish or forums. When I mention someone's name from a forum that I need to call or go see, he and my friends say...what is a forum, who is that, how did you meet them? My cell phone contact list is forum friends heavy as well, being an Administrator on 2 Fish Forums, I spend a fair amount of time on the computer and the phone. My husband tells me I'm lucky he is secure in our marriage (24 years). What other guy would be tolerant of all of these guys I talk to on the phome, email, and visit their homes. The hobby is a little "male" heavy...I can't change that except to invite more women to join in. LOL

One time my daughter didn't think I was spending enough time with the grandkids (which is ridiculous because I have them every morning before school for 1 hour and for 3 hours after school every day plus some weekends) anyway, my husband told my daughter...why don't you paint some gills on their necks and she won't be able to leave them alone!

So yes, I people think I'm weird. But I am equally "weird" about my horse, trail riding, and horse shows. Did I mention my dogs, gardening, golf.....:D

Mr Wild
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
hahaha, never thought od it that way! Well yes when I was having major dramas and my fish (all sorts) were dying everyone said GIVE IT UP, your mad, stop spending money etc etc. Then I found SD and everything has turned around a complete 360. They say I am mad, never have time etc etc, I say doing wc, medicating, feeding, changing tanks, decorationg whatever and they all look at me like I have 2 heads. But I can say I wouldn't have it any other way!
We are fish people can't change that!

calihawker
05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Oh man, do I get beat up at work! The guys at work give the hardest time about it. This one guy always shakes his head and says "man Eddie....I never took you for a fish guy". He says "Fish....of all things, FISH". LOL

Now my wife, she does not understand it AT ALL. She pretty much says that I am cheating on her with my fish. Constantly comments on how crazy I am and she does not know how I could be so passionate about fish.

The important thing for me, is that I am passionate about something and it's positive. Thats all that matters. ;)

Eddie

Then you know what I'm talkin' about man ;)

My wife is very accomadating actually. We've been running a business together for the last 15 years. We're together practically 24-7 so anything to get me out of her hair :p

Don't worry about it my man. Keeping fish and being in a band can work, I have managed it for the last 20 years. As the shows get more infrequent the fish seem to multiply! However the real headache comes when you hit the road and suddenly it's all about 'what am I gonna do with my Fish? Who's gonna look after 'em?" I guess I used to fret over my fish more than my girlfriend (now wife) when I was on the road! Oh yeah & I reguarly get called 'fishboy' by my bandmates. It's all part of the fun!

Well thank goodness my days of living on a tour bus for 6 months at a time are over:o A week here, a week there's about all I'll do these days.

This explains my obsession with automation.
More on that with my equipment post.

My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!

-al

I think you rock too Al. Completely and Thoughroly :D

So yes, I people think I'm weird. But I am equally "weird" about my horse, trail riding, and horse shows. Did I mention my dogs, gardening, golf.....

I'll have to tell y'all about another hobby of mine back in the 80's. Astrophotography. Talk about weird and eccentric.

Vicki thinks I'm nuts and she would probably kill me if she knew how many thousands that I've spent on one fish, let alone the collection.

One of the downsides of my wife being the CFO of the company. No place to rat hole money for fish :)

hahaha, never thought od it that way! Well yes when I was having major dramas and my fish (all sorts) were dying everyone said GIVE IT UP, your mad, stop spending money etc etc. Then I found SD and everything has turned around a complete 360.

My son was at the Steinhardt aquarium last week and he came home and said there were no discus. I told him maybe it's because discus are not the easiest fish to take care of. He says "well you have discus?" I told him that anyone can learn anything and be successful. It's all in books. In this case on Simply :)

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Eddie

Eddie, thats how my girl treats me about it! i had to edit my first reply, dont want to offend any of the great ladies we have here :D but my girl just really doesnt get it. she tries to pretend shes happy for me, but shes really not. we got into a 2 hour dispute about it when I told her I cant sleep over, have to go home and feed my fish, do WCs and turn off the tank lights. she bugged out on me:( I think it upsets her that not much makes me happier than these fish. but I tried to tell her not to compare our relationship with my fish haha. atleast my mother is happy for me, and she loves the fish :D my butthole friends would say something like "ohh, you gotta go home and wipe the c*m stains off your fishtanks?" haha---a$$holes huh?? lol I think its just something we all have to deal with.

al, you seem to have it pretty nice over there. Im sure Ill end up like you one day. I really get too involved in my hobbies to be with someone who doesnt understand it, or atleast tolerates it well enough. you just gotta let ur significant other be happy, the happier he/she is, the happier they will be with you. (usually)

this thread is great, its a way for us to vent lol...like therapy.:D;)

calihawker
05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
this thread is great, its a way for us to vent lol...like therapy.

Dr. Steve-O's in da house :cool:

Disgirl
05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Good topic Steve-O! I have been keeping tropical fish for 38 yrs. in June. Been married 38 yrs. too. Thank goodness my husband has always enjoyed and supported me in my hobby. He doesn't even bat an eyelash when I do my 50% wc's every evening now. I can get him to feed my fish when I am gone. B
UT I have had many friends/visitors/relatives over the years who have raised eyebrows or worse when they have seen our home with fish tanks everywhere. Used to have 20 tanks in our dining room! Now I am down to 3 tanks plus a Koi pond and plant pond in the backyard. I have always loved my fish and work in a public aquarium one day a week. All the folks who ridicule us just don't know the joy and beauty they are missing out on in life without fish, discus in particular! BTW, I keep discus, angelfish and a few african cichlids now, beside 10 large butterfly Koi. Glad I am getting to know you all.
Barbara :)

target
05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I haven't had the room to go completely crazy, but know I will given half the chance. I have been into fish for at least 15 years now and have even gotten my brother, mom, and sister-in-law to get tanks set up.

For me it is a extremely fun and challenging hobby, always something to learn and try out. My wife started out thinking I was nuts but now is almost as into the fish as I am. She is all for me setting up a huge tank when we have room, so my next step is to get a house that will provide enough space for a monster tank. :D:D:D

Its all about what you are into. A lot of people spend tons of money on golf or hockey for example. For me, having an aquarium and watching the fish grow and thrive more than outweighs the occasional comment from others on how weird it is to be that passionate about it.

My son is now 3 months old and I am excited for the time when he asks for a tank of his own. A while before that happens, but then I will have a second person to help pressure the wife for bigger and better. And then, one day, the ultimate goal for me right now, a fish room.

fishkeeper59
05-14-2009, 05:27 PM
WOW.....after reading all these post i thought for sure i was the only one that had felt so much for a fish. My wife and kids are actually supportive of me and seem to enjoy all these discus's i have. for awhile they thought i had gone loony, cause of my dedication and time spent mesmerized looking at the condition of my discus.Started with a 20 gal. now have 4 tanks up and running and its only been 5 mos. so who would'nt think im a little obsessed :alien:. So glad to see that the members of this forum are as compassionate as i am when keeping these majestic creatures. Now i don't feel so wierd:D:D:D

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I totally hear you on that! Iv only been in the hobby for about 6 months now, and I will soon have 12 discus in painted tanks, with nice equipment and the whole 9. when i first got on this site I kept reading of the "discus bug" and how ppl keep getting "bit" by it :p well it has totally bit me! shark bite too, severed from the waist down :D;) Atleast with this hobby I never feel like Im spending too much money...its just so rewarding for me! :)

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Good luck in the com Steve-O

I think I'm alittle weird sometimes, espeically when I run so many tanks(15 at the moment) that I don't see much due too work although always have time for w/c's inbetween.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

acroken
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
This is a great thread Steve. In one way or another I am sure most discus people are looked at as being a little "weird". We are so into these fish and invest so much time that others can not understand our passion and drive for perfection. I can totally relate. My friends and family know I am a bit off, since everything I do is to the extreme. The only person who I think understands my obsession with discus is my g/f...? But there was one instance in particular that stands out. I usually get home early on Fridays, well some of my friends will stop by for a happy hour kick off the the weekend:D During one of these happy hour Fridays I had three friends just sitting around talking and having a few beers, well there a knock on the door... Postal inspector? I guess since I have been ordering chemicals online and some of which are associated to drug manufacturing it alerted the USPS. I invited him in and gladly showed him around. He probably thought I was crazy with my all my discus tanks and my closet which is filled with chemicals(lye which was the problem) beakers,graduated cylinders,triple beam and digital scales and a microscope, but when he left he was laughing. Needless to say my friends never stop busting on me about it. I told my sister what happened and she said "if i did not know you i would think you are up to something illegal.LoL.

Kenny

Diamond Discus
05-15-2009, 09:59 AM
I had a knock at my door one day. I just ran across the FBI affidavit last week dated September 21st 2006. LOL It would seem I was being investigated under the noxious weed regulations for Limnophila sessiliflora (Vahl) Blume (ambulia) more commonly known as Asian Ambulia sold to me a couple of years prior. I had to give an oral statement and sign papers after letting them inspect my 9 aquariums. I had purchased the plant before it was a noxious weed, but the place I bought it from still had it in their facility so the were going to everyone's home who had "ever" bought the plant from them. Luckily mine was long gone...but I have to say, it was one of my very favorite plants.

When they come to your door, flash their FBI badge, and want to talk to YOU...it kind of scares the begeebers out of you.

Eddie
05-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Eddie, thats how my girl treats me about it! i had to edit my first reply, dont want to offend any of the great ladies we have here :D but my girl just really doesnt get it. she tries to pretend shes happy for me, but shes really not. we got into a 2 hour dispute about it when I told her I cant sleep over, have to go home and feed my fish, do WCs and turn off the tank lights. she bugged out on me:( I think it upsets her that not much makes me happier than these fish. but I tried to tell her not to compare our relationship with my fish haha. atleast my mother is happy for me, and she loves the fish :D my butthole friends would say something like "ohh, you gotta go home and wipe the c*m stains off your fishtanks?" haha---a$$holes huh?? lol I think its just something we all have to deal with.

al, you seem to have it pretty nice over there. Im sure Ill end up like you one day. I really get too involved in my hobbies to be with someone who doesnt understand it, or atleast tolerates it well enough. you just gotta let ur significant other be happy, the happier he/she is, the happier they will be with you. (usually)

this thread is great, its a way for us to vent lol...like therapy.:D;)

Dude Jason, this post had me laughing to death. Had to read it to my wife. She said to me...."What are you talking about I am not understanding of your passion, IM COPING WITH ALL THESE FISHTANKS". I said....told you don't understand. LOL :D

Eddie

calihawker
05-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I had a knock at my door one day. I just ran across the FBI affidavit last week dated September 21st 2006. LOL It would seem I was being investigated under the noxious weed regulations for Limnophila sessiliflora (Vahl) Blume (ambulia) more commonly known as Asian Ambulia sold to me a couple of years prior. I had to give an oral statement and sign papers after letting them inspect my 9 aquariums. I had purchased the plant before it was a noxious weed, but the place I bought it from still had it in their facility so the were going to everyone's home who had "ever" bought the plant from them. Luckily mine was long gone...but I have to say, it was one of my very favorite plants.

When they come to your door, flash their FBI badge, and want to talk to YOU...it kind of scares the begeebers out of you.

When I had my reef tank and my power bill was up towards a thousand bucks, I was always expecting someone to show up and accuse me of growing weed (the smoking kind:D)

Diamond Discus
05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
When I had my reef tank and my power bill was up towards a thousand bucks, I was always expecting someone to show up and accuse me of growing weed (the smoking kind:D)

Wow, my husband would probably have divorced me for that bill!!

Roxanne
05-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Personally, I walk on the fine line between honesty and what I like to call 'creative accounting'. And, if, by chance, a comment is made regarding the accumulation of fish keeping paraphernalia, and fish, a simple "I could be out drinking and partying instead"...usually puts an end to that.

What I do know, is that people who have no passion for anything in their life, are never going to understand how we feel unless they too can find something they REALLY enjoy doing...I will never understand, for example, people who climb really tall, freezing cold mountains just to get to the top?? They have a passion I'll never understand, that I even think is weird, but, at least they have one.

Really Jason, your girlfriend should be pleased your going home to do water changes instead of going out with your buddies chatting up other women.;)...you have my permission to use that 1 if it helps...:D

Roxanne:)

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Steve-O,

Also congrats on being selected. Nice to see how our California water fares. I live in Sherman Oaks (near universal studios) though I know where Cool is and I went to college in the San Francisco area.

Anyway, I wanted to wish you tons of luck and I am excited to hear about the set-up. The automatic water changes and the idea of the false bottom to kind of sweep the detritus has me intrigued to say the least.

Good luck to all the challengers. This is going to be a blast!!! I am so excited to get to watch all of this.

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Dude Jason, this post had me laughing to death. Had to read it to my wife. She said to me...."What are you talking about I am not understanding of your passion, IM COPING WITH ALL THESE FISHTANKS". I said....told you don't understand. LOL :D

Eddie

EXACTLY eddie, see thats what i mean...that one magical word she used..."COPING" with your tanks. they just dont get it ;) if they were genuinely happy for us about our fish, think about how much happier we would be in our relationships lol. they always try to compare it. my hobby and my girlfriend are 2 DIFFERENT things!:mad: lol:p

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I am in the same boat as probably most of the males in this forum. I am completely obsessed about my fish. My wife also thinks I am insane because I spend quite a bit of time either on the forum, reading about them or talking to them. She humors me...I know she isn't listening though :)

Does anyone else talk to their fish? I don't name them or anything like that but I do spend time in front of the tank and my fish respond. I feed them and they eat out of my hand, that to me...is a pet. My wife, again thinks I am nuts and that they can't hear me. But I think they do, Especially Lou.

Lou Diamond is the only one named, he is my Hi fin Blue Diamond and he was named before he was mine as he was in a large planted tank with 10 others that perished in a co2 disaster.

It's crazy, I can talk all day abut my fish...your fish...anyone's fish. I am so excited that I found this place. Good luck again and this is a great thread. :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
yep, Im the same way. I talk about my fish all day long to everyone! lol I really dont care if they wanna hear it or not, because of this they have become tolerant and know that the fish make me happy, so hey...let the dude be happy right? ;):D

Eddie
05-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't TALK to my fish.....Thats "Just a little weird" LOL

HAHAHAHA

Eddie

calihawker
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Does anyone else talk to their fish? I don't name them or anything like that but I do spend time in front of the tank and my fish respond. I feed them and they eat out of my hand, that to me...is a pet. My wife, again thinks I am nuts and that they can't hear me. But I think they do, Especially Lou.

Yeah, I talk to my fish. And most of them have names. My wife can't say much though. She talks to her goats ;)

My in wall display is behind a bar and I was just now sitting there with a fine Belgian ale and I actually asked the fish "So, whataya havin?"

I know...Weird!:)

Scribbles
05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I remember being in high school (many years ago) talking about my fish and my friends saying what's the big deal they're FISH. Same thing when I was teaching horseback riding. We would finish teaching a little after 9P.M. and everyone would want to go out for drinks or a movie but we would have to make a pit stop at my place to take care of fish and the rest of the zoo. My best friend would shake her head and say that I was hopeless as we took care of everybody before heading out for some fun (usually with my dog and any baby birds that I was feeding at the time). Now its my brother who says you cleaned that tank yesterday and the day before, why bother. Too stupid for comment. LOL. You either get it or you don't.

Chris

discusluvr818
05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I talk to my fish. And most of them have names. My wife can't say much though. She talks to her goats ;)

My in wall display is behind a bar and I was just now sitting there with a fine Belgian ale and I actually asked the fish "So, whataya havin?"

I know...Weird!:)

That is awesome. I would like to see a pic of the display tank and the bar :D
I mean I talk to my dogs and I know they don't understand me. It's not like I have conversations with the fish...but I have found myself talking to them. We have a Pug and an English Bulldog also...as well as a tortoise. So we have a are representing with our mini zoo in the valley.

Scribbles
05-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Let's put it this way. It's Friday night and we're here on Simply.:D

Chris

discusluvr818
05-16-2009, 01:27 AM

Chris

Yup, just put the kids to sleep, time to stare at the fish :D

Raul~

Just here....doing water changes and taking care of my discus

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-16-2009, 04:07 AM
I sign language my fish, dont talk to em. unless they are fighting with eachother. I might scold them HAHA. but the signs they know are "ding ding ding, DINNER" :D

calihawker
05-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Chris

Yep! This is where I spent my Friday night. With my laptop and a beer! :D

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/mini-DSC00350.jpg

doc3toes
05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Now that is something i can relate to! nice setup. you got homebrew in those taps?

calihawker
05-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Now that is something i can relate to! nice setup. you got homebrew in those taps?

Yeah, right now it's a belgian dubble. The summer honey lager is just about ready.:)

discusluvr818
05-16-2009, 12:53 PM

That's awesome. Those seats look awful cozy next to those taps :D

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-16-2009, 01:38 PM
STEVE-O!!! WHAT A VIEW BRO! jeeesus. you got it made over there!! tank built right into the wall?! awesome man, just awesome. Im only 23 yrs old, so something like that is just a dream for me right now :p you got discus in that tank? its beautiful. would love to have a beer with ya :D

calihawker
05-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks Jason! It's a big tank, 300 gallons, so the discus get lost in there a bit. There's 11 leopard snakeskins in there. I'm still working on mastering photobucket but I'll eventually have more pics of the display with a link and all that.

Talk about obsessed. This room was designed and built around the tank. The room extends into a home theater and it was crucial in the planning to have a view of the tank from any point in the room and to have the first thing you see as you enter is the tank. :D

The only mistake I made was that it was originally a reef tank. :vomit:

I eventually found my brain.:thumbsup:

Scribbles
05-16-2009, 04:13 PM
WOW! If I had that tank I don't think that I'd ever leave the room. It's gorgeous.

Chris

majik
05-16-2009, 04:19 PM
That set up is a masterpiece:D

Diamond Discus
05-16-2009, 04:38 PM
That set up is a masterpiece:D

Now I could really loose some time at that bar....;)

Mr Wild
05-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Magnificent! thats all I can say MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!!!

calihawker
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the kind words.:):)

SriAngel
05-20-2009, 05:59 AM
Vicki thinks I'm nuts and she would probably kill me if she knew how many thousands that I've spent on one fish, let alone the collection. My neighbors...all golfers just shake thier heads.

The funniest thing is when you tell US Customs that you're travelling to a fish show...they give you that look and you spend the next several minutes explaining

Graham,
i got detained on the Canadian side of customs when i told them i'm going to get some fish. They called Bob to find out what i was doing over there driving 10 hours to talk about fish. They finally let me into your country after 20 minutes of heavy research on their computer and phone calls. I just had to do a mental recollection as to what i told the customs agent wether i was coming up to talk about bombs or discus, it just added to the flavor of the adventure!

Angel

Hmm...Lets see, Along with Ryan I run an internet site dedicated to a species of Fish....It alone takes up hours of my time. I have a hobby hatchery of 2500 gals of water for Fish. I host get togethers of large numbers of Discus Hobbyists at my home. I welcome many Hobbyists here for visits to talk Fish. My circle of friends is largely "fish"people as is the list of Numbers on my cell phone.. So How do "YOU" think I look to my non-fishy friends and family?;):D:D:D Thankfully..if my wife thinks I am a "little weird" she spares me from hearing it... My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!:)

Al,

I think you have two future fish people on your hands or at the least nuclear physicists, they asked very relevant questions during your lecture on discus diseases at the North East Conference. The zest and zeal for fish as well as all things science has rubbed off of you for sure!

-al

Chad Hughes
05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Steve,

This is an awesome thread! I'm not usre how I went this long without seeing it. Anyway, like most, I get a lot of flack from friends that can't understand the need for all the tanks and fish. Once they see how captivating the discus are, I rarely get much flack.

I love your 300! Very awesome and in a perfect spot.... the bar. LOL! I love it man!

Best wishes!

GrillMaster
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Steve, funny you brought up this thread! I actually was fixin ta ask ya what yer band members thought about yer lil hobby. :D

My wife pretty much thinks I am nuts. I have had so many hobbies in the past from remote control planes over in Scotland and aquariums. Then to racing cars at the local track (expensive!!) Planted tanks for a few years to the latest craze with Discus. Bass fishin tourneys was a passion of mine for awhile, then I switched to golf. Fixin to get back into bass fishin again since I aint real good at golf...:thumbsdown:

Just hate payin so much cash on sumthin I aint real good at! ;)

Love your set up BTW!! I could spend a Friday night or a weekend for that matter behind the taps an starin at that tank of yours! Kudos to ya bud...:thumbsup:

calihawker
05-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Bass fishin tourneys was a passion of mine for awhile, then I switched to golf. Fixin to get back into bass fishin again since I aint real good at golf...

ROFLMAO!:D

barkmanusd
05-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I wish my wife would feel more passion about my fish hobby. I can't understand why she doesn't appreciate the 'hobby' but admires the beauty of the aquarium....I don't get it!

pinkjello
05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Discus are addictive..im taking down a salt water tank because im not loving it like i love discus..

i sit and watch them every night before bed - as i find them calming and if i have had a bad day watching them makes me feel better..

im the weird one in my family..no one understands and after i find homes for my salt water fishies, another discus tank is going up in my bedroom..

:D

pinkjello
05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
i just need to find myself a husband now that loves them like i do!! :D

The bar set up is amazing! Need to post close up pics too of the tank. Hope to see some soon!