for instance. Has anybody here ever had or
are they currently mixing Heckels. Is that
something that is possible to do, or should
you just mix blue Heckels with blues, or
red Heckels with reds, etc.

jeff

Apistomaster
05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
There is no problem mixing Heckels from different locations. They just shouldn't be mixed with other wild spp or domestics.

It would be interesting though to maintain Heckels from different locations in their own groups and tanks. You may discover subtle differences that otherwise may go unnoticed.
That would require more dedication than most Heckel keepers have.

erikc
06-02-2009, 04:44 AM
I agree with Apistomaster (sorry to hear you sold your grou, you can mix Heckels from different locations no problem.

Hmmm .... having different types of heckels in their own tanks. Now there's a thought ;)

Daniella
06-21-2009, 10:04 PM
why?

They just shouldn't be mixed with other wild spp or domestics.

Eddie
06-22-2009, 12:11 AM
why?

Because of their difference in nature, they are not raised like Captive Bred (CB) discus, they feed differently than CB discus, they act different. I think of Heckel groups just like jungle tribes in nature with a system that can honestly never be ever be duplicated, never. Take an aztec warrior out of the jungle and put him in the streets of New York, thats the analogy exactly. And some people try to give Heckels this environment to thrive, this enclosed aquatic environment is not even close to their home. ;)

Eddie

Daniella
06-22-2009, 12:38 AM
So what happen if you put a heckel with domestic dicsus?

They will fight? this hecked was with domestic discus at the pet store. has been for 4 months. It was with 6 other domestic and one green wild.

Everything seamed peacefull.

Because of their difference in nature, they are not raised like Captive Bred (CB) discus, they feed differently than CB discus, they act different. I think of Heckel groups just like jungle tribes in nature with a system that can honestly never be ever be duplicated, never. Take an aztec warrior out of the jungle and put him in the streets of New York, thats the analogy exactly. And some people try to give Heckels this environment to thrive, this enclosed aquatic environment is not even close to their home. ;)

Eddie

Eddie
06-22-2009, 12:43 AM
So what happen if you put a heckel with domestic dicsus?

They will fight? this hecked was with domestic discus at the pet store. has been for 4 months. It was with 6 other domestic and one green wild.

Everything seamed peacefull.

They may fight, all discus fight but the fish will not thrive. It is alone, secluded and has been raised most of its life in the wild. Domestic, Captive Bred, Hybrid are the same term. The water is the biggest concern and then diet would be next. Read up on Heckels and how they feed, and what they feed on. Depending on the age of the fish, it may be super tough to get the fish to eat certain foods. I know you feed white worms but your gonna need more than that. Thats not a well rounded diet. Also, Heckels eat when they want, not on demand like Hybrids. The domestics will eat everything before the heckel decides to eat the required amount, he may get a little but not its fill.

Eddie

Daniella
06-22-2009, 09:07 AM
The fish eat frozen bloodworm for now and white worms. I will try beefheart next time.

the fish seemed quite peaceful with the other domestic discus in its tank, even at feeding. The wild tefe that was there was very aggressive with others when feeding, but not the heckel.

I read that heckel have more chance of breeding with domestic discus than with another heckel? why? and if so, doesn't that mean that hecked will feel good with domestic since they breed with them? I am lost here.

what do you mean they eat what they want? not on demand?

I always put plenty of food so everybody get their belly pretty rounded up. I always have extra left to syphon and I syphon it like about 30 to 45 minutes later.

So far he seems to eat quite fast and well, at least for bloodworms. Like I said, it's far from skinny :) At the store they were feeding only bloodworms and pellets. That fish must have been eating enough or it would not be that fat after 4 months no?

They may fight, all discus fight but the fish will not thrive. It is alone, secluded and has been raised most of its life in the wild. Domestic, Captive Bred, Hybrid are the same term. The water is the biggest concern and then diet would be next. Read up on Heckels and how they feed, and what they feed on. Depending on the age of the fish, it may be super tough to get the fish to eat certain foods. I know you feed white worms but your gonna need more than that. Thats not a well rounded diet. Also, Heckels eat when they want, not on demand like Hybrids. The domestics will eat everything before the heckel decides to eat the required amount, he may get a little but not its fill.

Eddie

Eddie
06-22-2009, 09:18 AM
The fish eat frozen bloodworm for now and white worms. I will try beefheart next time.

the fish seemed quite peaceful with the other domestic discus in its tank, even at feeding. The wild tefe that was there was very aggressive with others when feeding, but not the heckel.

I read that heckel have more chance of breeding with domestic discus than with another heckel? why? and if so, doesn't that mean that hecked will feel good with domestic since they breed with them? I am lost here.

what do you mean they eat what they want? not on demand?

I always put plenty of food so everybody get their belly pretty rounded up. I always have extra left to syphon and I syphon it like about 30 to 45 minutes later.

So far he seems to eat quite fast and well, at least for bloodworms. Like I said, it's far from skinny :) At the store they were feeding only bloodworms and pellets. That fish must have been eating enough or it would not be that fat after 4 months no?

Actually...no, Heckel do not pair up with domestics easier than other wilds. Where did you hear that? How could you be lost now if you were not sure before about heckels. :confused:

Bloodworms are fine but make sure you are adding either pellets or flake or a mix to make sure the heckel is getting other vitamins and minerals into its diet.

Not eating on demand, like the fish is not gonna eat like captive bred fish.

Eddie

MSD
06-22-2009, 10:09 AM
How often do you see the fish is a store tank or breeder tank behave the same way once you get them home? Like never.

Daniella
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I read that a few times, I think even in this forum. That breeding heckel to heckel was very difficult and it was easier to breed them to domestic. I will try to find the links again. I read so many things on heckel so not sure where it was.

I am lost from all the conflicting info that I read! lol :)

I read that algea wafers are very good for heckel too. Is that true?

I also read that beefheart is not good for them? also true?

Actually...no, Heckel do not pair up with domestics easier than other wilds. Where did you hear that? How could you be lost now if you were not sure before about heckels. :confused:

Bloodworms are fine but make sure you are adding either pellets or flake or a mix to make sure the heckel is getting other vitamins and minerals into its diet.

Not eating on demand, like the fish is not gonna eat like captive bred fish.

Eddie

Daniella
06-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Will you stop harrassing me??? this had gone long enough with your private message harrassment and I will report you to the admin of this forum.

I was not arguing anything, just asking a question here reguarding something I read...hello!!????

How often do you see the fish is a store tank or breeder tank behave the same way once you get them home? Like never. You are asking questions of Eddie then arguing with the answers. If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions. He's trying to help you, perhaps its you affect that comes through wrong??

Eddie
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I read that a few times, I think even in this forum. That breeding heckel to heckel was very difficult and it was easier to breed them to domestic. I will try to find the links again. I read so many things on heckel so not sure where it was.

I am lost from all the conflicting info that I read! lol :)

I read that algea wafers are very good for heckel too. Is that true?

I also read that beefheart is not good for them? also true?

What you read was that heckel to heckel was difficult and that heckels can cross with hybrids or other wilds. It definitely isn't something that is easy. If you picked up the heckel for breeding purposes, might as well take it back.

Heckel do like vegetable matter and fruits too but those are things that they eat in the wild, why? Maybe because there is no other available food.

Beefheart, couldn't tell you. Many people feel that since it isn't natural in the wild, they shouldn't eat it. Flakes and pellets ain't natural in the wild either but lots of heckel owners use them. Feed the fish whatever you want, but the most important thing is keeping a balanced diet for the vitality of the fish.

Eddie

Daniella
06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh no, I want nothing to do with breeding, never ever. I just want it healthy and well that's all.

True about the pellets and flakes..no more natural than beefheart. lol :)

Oh well, not sure what I got myself into but I will have to go with the flow on this one.

Do you think it will be better alone or should I put it after 5 to 6 week quarantine with my other discus?

thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

What you read was that heckel to heckel was difficult and that heckels can cross with hybrids or other wilds. It definitely isn't something that is easy. If you picked up the heckel for breeding purposes, might as well take it back.

Heckel do like vegetable matter and fruits too but those are things that they eat in the wild, why? Maybe because there is no other available food.

Beefheart, couldn't tell you. Many people feel that since it isn't natural in the wild, they shouldn't eat it. Flakes and pellets ain't natural in the wild either but lots of heckel owners use them. Feed the fish whatever you want, but the most important thing is keeping a balanced diet for the vitality of the fish.

Eddie

Eddie
06-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh no, I want nothing to do with breeding, never ever. I just want it healthy and well that's all.

True about the pellets and flakes..no more natural than beefheart. lol :)

Oh well, not sure what I got myself into but I will have to go with the flow on this one.

Do you think it will be better alone or should I put it after 5 to 6 week quarantine with my other discus?

thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

No discus does well alone, no matter what it may appear to look like. They are schooling fish and they have group dynamics that make them what they are.

Eddie

Daniella
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
That's what I thought. Better with domestic than alone.

Maybe I will eventualy find more and at that time I might consider buying another aquarium but for now that,s my only option. To have it alone or to have it with my domestics.

No discus does well alone, no matter what it may appear to look like. They are schooling fish and they have group dynamics that make them what they are.

Eddie

Eddie
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
That's what I thought. Better with domestic than alone.

Maybe I will eventualy find more and at that time I might consider buying another aquarium but for now that,s my only option. To have it alone or to have it with my domestics.

Hopefully your domestics will fair in the extremely low PH that your heckel needs. Either your domestics will be stressed or your heckel will be stressed. You won't know until one or the other falls ill.

Eddie

Daniella
06-23-2009, 12:35 AM
On Jeffrey Yang web site they state for their wild cought heckel:

"Kept at a PH 6 to 6.51 with uS of 130 and Temp 27 - 29 There is no reason why these fish cannot be introduced into lower water parameters similar to their habitat but this must be achieved over time. Heckels natural habitat is 4.5 to 5 PH but 5.5 to 6 will see colours increase vividly."

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/DiscusSouth/index.php?cat=Wild_Discus&ActinicSID=3071c8e68899631916845d95f7fc3149

Why are they keeping their wild cought heckel at this Ph of 6 to 6.5?

Are you saying that my domestic discus cannot be kept at that Ph range from 6 to 6.5? or are you saying that wild heckel cannot survive long at this Ph of 6 to 6.5 and it will fall sick?

Eddie
06-23-2009, 02:01 AM

"Kept at a PH 6 to 6.51 with uS of 130 and Temp 27 - 29 There is no reason why these fish cannot be introduced into lower water parameters similar to their habitat but this must be achieved over time. Heckels natural habitat is 4.5 to 5 PH but 5.5 to 6 will see colours increase vividly."

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/DiscusSouth/index.php?cat=Wild_Discus&ActinicSID=3071c8e68899631916845d95f7fc3149

Are you saying that my domestic discus cannot be kept at that Ph range from 6 to 6.5? or are you saying that wild heckel cannot survive long at this Ph of 6 to 6.5 and it will fall sick?

Daniella, figure it out for yourself. I provided the information and if you want to argue about it, it's your decision. Do as Jeffrey Yang does and ask him.

Eddie

Daniella
06-23-2009, 06:51 AM
That's really funny you call asking questions "arguying" :)

Maybe someone else can answer the question. Someone who know?

Daniella, figure it out for yourself. I provided the information and if you want to argue about it, it's your decision. Do as Jeffrey Yang does and ask him.

Eddie

Eddie
06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
That's really funny you call asking questions "arguying" :)

Maybe someone else can answer the question. Someone who know?

Yeah, maybe so. I don't have a clue ;)

Eddie

erikc
06-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Okay, since you have only one heckel and it is alreday with your domestics DO not quarantine it on it's own :D

IMO you should try to lower the PH gradually (over a period of a week or so). Adding cattapa leaves as Eddie suggested is a good idea or you can pass your RO water through some peat.

Your domestics and heckel can live in lower PH but do not change the value too quickly.

The lower PH is beneficial for your heckel which will show it's best coulours FYI I've kept fish in a PH averaging 4 !

Best of luck with your new acquistion and please try to find some more to keep with him :D

Daniella
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Fior now the heckel is alone in the quarantine tank. Seems fine and eat well.

Just to be sure, are you suggesting that I skip the quarantine and put it with my other fish right away so that it will not be alone?

Also what Ph do you keep yours at? What Ph would be a good compromise for both domestic and wild?

What do you think of Jeffrey Yang recommandation for Ph between 6 to 6.5?

It is an interesting ideas though that heckels will live in very low Ph because that's what their environment is and they have no choice, but given higher Ph they will have better color. Can I assume that better color also means better health?

I cannot go as low as 4 as this would be a nightmare at water change each day. Adjusting it a little would be possible but adjusting it that much might be difficult if I use peat.

If there were more I would have bought more. The chances of finding another one is not too good though. They do not expect receiving any soon and I have never seen them in other stores around here.

Okay, since you have only one heckel and it is alreday with your domestics DO not quarantine it on it's own :D

IMO you should try to lower the PH gradually (over a period of a week or so). Adding cattapa leaves as Eddie suggested is a good idea or you can pass your RO water through some peat.

Your domestics and heckel can live in lower PH but do not change the value too quickly.

The lower PH is beneficial for your heckel which will show it's best coulours FYI I've kept fish in a PH averaging 4 !

Best of luck with your new acquistion and please try to find some more to keep with him :D

seanyuki
06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
That is not Jeffrey Yang official website.....those wild caught discus did not mention coming from FishTradeZone......That LFS you have mentioned may have other sources importing wild discus .....hope to clear things up.

Daniella
06-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh I see. Sorry for the mistake. I thought this was his site. I followed this link via another page.

That is not Jeffrey Yang official website.....those wild caught discus did not mention coming from FishTradeZone......That LFS you have mentioned may have other sources importing wild discus .....hope to clear things up.

Apistomaster
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I like to think I know something about keeping Heckels as I have been keeping them off and on for 40 years. I also worked with Al to set up this Heckel Discus subforum to promote a better understanding of the needs of Heckels in the aquariums and with the hopes that someday we would have some lines of tank raised Heckel Discus in the hobby.

Heckels unquestionably do best when kept with only their own kind in the water most similar to their natural environment. Having said that, Heckels can be kept successfully in water that is harder and even slightly alkaline but these fish tend to exhibit duller colors.

Most Heckel Crosses have been done with wild Blue females but some have also successfully crossed them with domestics. I don't see this leading to anything worthwhile but everyone is free to do what they wish.

Heckels have many unique needs and a different diet than the other wild Discus.
I have always used Spirulina Sticks as their source of vegetable based foods. I haven't bothered to try to get them to eat other herbivorous foods as the Spirulina Stcks seem adequate. Algae wafers will be eaten but the sticks break down into much easier bits for them to consume. I also find Heckels like earthworm sticks. Both sink to the bottom where Heckels like to sift the sand for bits of food so these sticks help allow Heckels to feed in their natural manner. Heckels tend to be deliberate feeders that take their time. Mixing them with more aggressive and dominant wilds or domestics make it harder for Heckels to feed in such a relaxed fashon.

Daniella
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Very good information, thanks!

I see your point about the slow feeding for heckel. I always put lots of food though and that usualy last for 30 to 45 minutes. I have quite a few domestic that are very slow eater as well.

what would be a good Ph to keep them at and that would be a good compromise to keep good heckel color and work well with my domestics? Would Ph 6 to 6.5 do it?

and what brand of spirulina do you use?

I like to think I know something about keeping Heckels as I have been keeping them off and on for 40 years. I also worked with Al to set up this Heckel Discus subforum to promote a better understanding of the needs of Heckels in the aquariums and with the hopes that someday we would have some lines of tank raised Heckel Discus in the hobby.

Heckels unquestionably do best when kept with only their own kind in the water most similar to their natural environment. Having said that, Heckels can be kept successfully in water that is harder and even slightly alkaline but these fish tend to exhibit duller colors.

Most Heckel Crosses have been done with wild Blue females but some have also successfully crossed them with domestics. I don't see this leading to anything worthwhile but everyone is free to do what they wish.

I have always used Spirulina Sticks as their source of vegetable based foods. I haven't bothered to try to get them to eat other herbivorous foods as the Spirulina Stcks seem adequate. Algae wafers will be eaten but the sticks break down into much easier bits for them to consume. I also find Heckels like earthworm sticks. Both sink to the bottom where Heckels like to sift the sand for bits of food so these sticks help allow Heckels to feed in their natural manner. Heckels tend to be deliberate feeders that take their time. Mixing them with more aggressive and dominant wilds or domestics make it harder for Heckels to feed in such a relaxed fashon.

erikc
06-24-2009, 03:21 AM

You are most eloquent with your words sir and quite correct ! I use spirulina as a bassis for the diet of the heckels I keep, I aslo find them grazing the algae from the wood. But it is also important to vary their diet (ie. : vegetable flakes for african chiclids and tetra colour bits etc.). depending on their behaviour of your other fish ( yes I have a tank with domestic and heckels, but the heckels are over 7 years old :o ) your heckel should be fine. in the long run it is always advisable to keep them on their own.

As for the PH, if you could keep it under 6.5 it would be preferable. However I had a heckel/green tank in Copenhagen using only hard tap water and a conditioner, if this is the case you must do daily water changes for the benefit of your new fish.

I am sorry that a misread your post Daniela, do keep your fish in quarantine obviuosly. The fish in the website you mentioned come from this exporter :
http://www.hek.com.br/, they are some of the finest I have seen in a long time (it seems that it is becoming not so hard to get quality WC's in Europe now).

Any way, good luck with your heckel Daniela and please try to get some companions for him. Don't forget that the heckel will only really thrive if it with it's own or in a couple !

Daniella
06-24-2009, 08:27 AM
It's hard for me to lower the Ph as even my pure RO/DI goes to around 7 in Ph. That water is 0 to 1 in Kh and 2 in Gh! yet the Ph is still so high, I wonder why.

problem with adjusting Ph is that it is a nightmare to do water change in a 120 gallon without shifting the Ph. I would have to adjust and check all my water and of course that exclude any fast and large water change from tap. That is why I prefer not to drop it too much so that if I ever have to do an emergency water change with tap I will not shock my fish.

My tap Ph is at 7.2 to 7.4. I only have 30 gallon water aging tank and no room for more than that.

You're lucky to have access to such nice fish. Here they are extremely rare and it was the first time I ever saw a heckel at a pet store or anywhere else. All the importers I know around here only import from Malaysia and only domestic discus, never any wild at all. They don't even have wild for themselves.

The heckel is adjusting well. In fact it come to me when I lay down and talk to it and it has started to eat white worms. Love it :) when I get near the tank and talk to it (not even sure he hear anything lol!) he just come up to me and stay there and look at me. I tried beefheart mix with veggy but he did not want that for now. I give it bloodworms and white worms and will buy those sticks, at least I will try to find them because so far no luck. At least I will get algea wafer if I cannot find the stick.

You are most eloquent with your words sir and quite correct ! I use spirulina as a bassis for the diet of the heckels I keep, I aslo find them grazing the algae from the wood. But it is also important to vary their diet (ie. : vegetable flakes for african chiclids and tetra colour bits etc.). depending on their behaviour of your other fish ( yes I have a tank with domestic and heckels, but the heckels are over 7 years old :o ) your heckel should be fine. in the long run it is always advisable to keep them on their own.

As for the PH, if you could keep it under 6.5 it would be preferable. However I had a heckel/green tank in Copenhagen using only hard tap water and a conditioner, if this is the case you must do daily water changes for the benefit of your new fish.

I am sorry that a misread your post Daniela, do keep your fish in quarantine obviuosly. The fish in the website you mentioned come from this exporter :
http://www.hek.com.br/, they are some of the finest I have seen in a long time (it seems that it is becoming not so hard to get quality WC's in Europe now).

Any way, good luck with your heckel Daniela and please try to get some companions for him. Don't forget that the heckel will only really thrive if it with it's own or in a couple !

Apistomaster
06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I buy my Spirulina sticks and Earth Worm Sticks from www.aquatieco.com, Florida but I believe www.kensfish.com sells the same products.
They were originally developed as conditioning foods to be used in commercial aquaculture and are not foods you can normally find at the usual sources.

I also use Tetramin Color Bits, Frozen Blood Worms and live Black Worms.
I treat Heckels to Beef Heart mix once in awhile.

I sold my 10 Heckels this spring after raising them up from about 3 inches. Here is a family protrait I took a few years ago.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/Heckels0003rs-1.jpg

Apistomaster
06-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I hated to let my Heckels go after putting nearly 5 years of work into them but I don't have enough tank space to keep many fish that I have almost no chance of breeding.
I am keeping 6 Nhamunda Blue Discus and I have some pairs of those but I have decided to replace my lost line of domestic Red Turquoise Discus with Stendker Brilliant Turquoise since they sell well.
Raising Leopard Frog plecos, Peckoltia sp L134 and Hypancistrus sp L333 plus Discus is how I manage to make my hobby pay for itself. I have so many fancy pleco fry that between those and the breeders' set ups I only have room for some Discus.
Heckels are my favorite wild Discus but they are just too hard for me to breed. I have bred wild Blue many times before. I have begun setting up 3 pairs of Nhamunda Blues in their own breeding tanks and am looking forward to them spawning.

erikc
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
I hated to let my Heckels go after putting nearly 5 years of work into them but I don't have enough tank space to keep many fish that I have almost no chance of breeding.
I am keeping 6 Nhamunda Blue Discus and I have some pairs of those but I have decided to replace my lost line of domestic Red Turquoise Discus with Stendker Brilliant Turquoise since they sell well.
Raising Leopard Frog plecos, Peckoltia sp L134 and Hypancistrus sp L333 plus Discus is how I manage to make my hobby pay for itself. I have so many fancy pleco fry that between those and the breeders' set ups I only have room for some Discus.
Heckels are my favorite wild Discus but they are just too hard for me to breed. I have bred wild Blue many times before. I have begun setting up 3 pairs of Nhamunda Blues in their own breeding tanks and am looking forward to them spawning.

I have seen your Nhamunda tank on another post and I think it is quite superb. I am sorry for your Heckels but I do understand. What changed Heckel keeping for me was the reverse osmosis unit, they suddenly started developing vibrant colours. Heckels are also my favourite wild Discus, I find them fascinating to watch, delicate with each other.
Funny, I have a breeding pair of Stendker Cobalt Greens, however they really can't compete with the Heckels in my opinion (they are just far too tame). I will follow with pleasure further posts on your WC's

erikc
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Daniella,

if you follow the above advice I'm sure your Heckel will thrive. After a time of watching him and taking care you will come to understand why these fish are really a class of their own in the discus world.

Just feed him what he eats to begin with, it will take time for him to adjust to other foods. As long as he's eating that means he is adjusting.

Don't rush things, be patient and give him the best home possible. Don't forget the water changes though, this is needed, even if it's only small dailly ones (siphoning of debris etc.).

For other Heckels you should ask about in the forum, I'm sure someone could point out to you a good source in your country (Belowater maybe ?)

Daniella
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes the more I am watching it and the more I think it's a special fish. That fish seem too gentle and reserved to go with my little monsters..so not sure.

It's such a sweet fish already and I have it for only 2 days!

When I saw it at the store at first I thought it was sick because of hiding in a corner and clamped fins. It is only when the guy fed them that it came back to life.

In my aquarium, it is very relax and outgoing and all the fins are nice and erected. The fish look so much better, with better colors already. It come close to me when ever I get near as it is hoping for little white worms. They learn quickly :)

I put 80% RO and Ph is around 7. I have bought some peat to add to the canister filter to help a bit with the Ph but I will have to put a bag of it in my aging water container too I guess. I am not sure how I would go about and filter the RO throught the peat since I would need a filter just to do that.

How do you people filter RO water through peat? and would leaving a bag of peat in the aging barril be enough to lower the Ph?

Also I noticed that when ever the fish is stressed, the central bar disapear?? wereas with my other fish it's the opposite. That central bar can appear and disapear so fast it's amazing, nearly instantly. I was not aware of that.

Daniella,

if you follow the above advice I'm sure your Heckel will thrive. After a time of watching him and taking care you will come to understand why these fish are really a class of their own in the discus world.

Just feed him what he eats to begin with, it will take time for him to adjust to other foods. As long as he's eating that means he is adjusting.

Don't rush things, be patient and give him the best home possible. Don't forget the water changes though, this is needed, even if it's only small dailly ones (siphoning of debris etc.).

For other Heckels you should ask about in the forum, I'm sure someone could point out to you a good source in your country (Belowater maybe ?)

traversediscus
06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Actually my heckels lose their center when they are not stressed.

Eddie

Hi Edmundo

Life is like a box of chocolates my friend :D

Just give up

shawnhu
06-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Edmundo

Just give up

:vanish:

Eddie
06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm trying fellas....god knows I am trying. :o

Take care,

Eddie

Daniella
06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Did I miss something? some thread have disapear and I cannot see that message? I only see it quoted but can't see it as a reply to my message?

"Actually my heckels lose their center when they are not stressed."

Why is mine acting differently? Like when the guy put it in the bag at the store the central bar on the body completely disapear. At arrival it took a few hour before the central bar reappeared. That is why I am assuming that its bar disapear when stressed because it immediatly lost that bar when it was cought in the net and all the way until it started to be more relaxed in my tank. Is that normal for a heckel?

Hi Edmundo

Just give up

erikc
06-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Did I miss something? some thread have disapear and I cannot see that message? I only see it quoted but can't see it as a reply to my message?

"Actually my heckels lose their center when they are not stressed."

Why is mine acting differently? Like when the guy put it in the bag at the store the central bar on the body completely disapear. At arrival it took a few hour before the central bar reappeared. That is why I am assuming that its bar disapear when stressed because it immediatly lost that bar when it was cought in the net and all the way until it started to be more relaxed in my tank. Is that normal for a heckel?

Don't panic, look on my thread, I have pictures of the same heckel with and without a center bar. The reason is surely but not entirely stress related.

Daniella
06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I do not panic :), just wondering why mine was obviously hiding the bar when stressed when some other people have the opposite hapening.

So since it is part stress related, from that can I assume that when stressed they can either hide or show their stress bar?

Don't panic, look on my thread, I have pictures of the same heckel with and without a center bar. The reason is surely but not entirely stress related.

erikc
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I do not panic :), just wondering why mine was obviously hiding the bar when stressed when some other people have the opposite hapening.

So since it is part stress related, from that can I assume that when stressed they can either hide or show their stress bar?

Yes :)