PDA

View Full Version : Heiko Bleher in Southern California

Ichthyology
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Just want to let everyone know that Heiko Bleher will be the speaker for the August meeting of COAST aquarium club in Costa Mesa, California. In fact, Heiko will be giving 2 talks.

This is a special event. We normally do not charge but we will be charging $10 a person at the door.

This is a once in a life time chance to come hear one of the modern adventurists who has collected all over the world.

If you need any additional info, please do not hesitate to contact me.

gotfish?
05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
finally something around sourthern california haha exact date? address??:D

frenchie100
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Woohoo! Please let us know the details!!!

Thank you!

-Julie :)

pkumar
05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I would be interested in driving down for this. What are the specifics - date/time/location - for the meeting. Thank You.

- Prashanth

discusluvr818
05-22-2009, 02:02 AM
I'd like to know more about this as well.

rickztahone
05-22-2009, 02:07 AM
i'm interested as well but i'm not sure how far Costa Mesa is from Reseda. either way, i'm still interested, date, time...?

CliffsDiscus
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Check out their website, www.coastfishclub.com

Cliff

rickztahone
05-26-2009, 01:50 AM
ok so the meeting that will include Heiko Bleher will take place in August on the 2nd. i'm almost 100% sure that i'm going and i have emailed them for further questions. if you are also interested let me know so we can know how many SD'rs would be able to go.

gotfish?
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM
im going for sure :D:D

frenchie100
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Definitely going!!!

Ichthyology
06-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Sorry you all. I just got back from a 11 dat trip to Aquarama (I was a judge) and Thailand.

If you go to the COAST website, you can buy tickets to the event. It will be $10 for tickets. Unfortunately, WE have to charge for this meeting. Although, Heiko has discounted his fee, as a club, we still can not afford to pay for him out of our treausery (as we dont have much in the treasurey!!!).

casw
07-23-2009, 03:01 AM
bump, since this is in a week and a half!

rickztahone
07-23-2009, 03:01 AM
so who's going for sure?

gotfish?
07-23-2009, 03:52 AM
can anyone pick me up from Sherman Oaks????:D:D:D

casw
07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm going, should we carpool Ric, if you're going? We could pick up gotfish as well, lol.

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm going, should we carpool Ric, if you're going? We could pick up gotfish as well, lol.

sounds good my friend. let's do this! i did send out an email a while back to get some more info on the meet but i never heard back. do you happen to know the details?

gotfish?
07-25-2009, 05:54 AM
YAY im excited already :D i emailed the guy too and no reply. il try to look it up tomo

frenchie100
07-25-2009, 02:41 PM
so who's going for sure?

I will!

Julie :)

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I will!

Julie :)

nice!, so that's at least 4 so far. anyone else? yay or nay?

rickztahone
07-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry you all. I just got back from a 11 dat trip to Aquarama (I was a judge) and Thailand.

If you go to the COAST website, you can buy tickets to the event. It will be $10 for tickets. Unfortunately, WE have to charge for this meeting. Although, Heiko has discounted his fee, as a club, we still can not afford to pay for him out of our treausery (as we dont have much in the treasurey!!!).

do you know if we will be able to buy at the door? it might be too late to buy some through the web and getting them by mail

gotfish?
07-28-2009, 03:59 AM
hey guys i found this on his website...

LECTURES IN CALIFORNIA
USA – Costa Mesa, Los Angeles, 2 August 2009

The COAST Fish Club which has a scheduled meeting every first Sunday of each month, has invited Heiko Bleher to give two presentations on the 2nd of August, 2009, from noon to 6 PM at the

COSTA MESA NEIGHBORHOOD COMMUNITY CENTER,
1845 Park Avenue,

Costa Mesa California
Guests are always welcome!

rickztahone
07-28-2009, 01:37 PM
hey guys i found this on his website...

LECTURES IN CALIFORNIA
USA – Costa Mesa, Los Angeles, 2 August 2009

The COAST Fish Club which has a scheduled meeting every first Sunday of each month, has invited Heiko Bleher to give two presentations on the 2nd of August, 2009, from noon to 6 PM at the

COSTA MESA NEIGHBORHOOD COMMUNITY CENTER,
1845 Park Avenue,

Costa Mesa California
Guests are always welcome!

so it's 1hr and 11 minutes from my house. are you in for sure Benedict? i will call Casper later today when he gets out of work? what about you Julie? anyone else going let us know

Chad Hughes
08-01-2009, 02:09 AM
There should be more people interested in this guy! He's an international criminal! LOL!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1788

rickscics
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
It is my understanding that there will be tickets available at the door. I will be going :) There is an auction between talks that can offer some interesting fish, plants, food and other items. Rick

rickztahone
08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
It is my understanding that there will be tickets available at the door. I will be going :) There is an auction between talks that can offer some interesting fish, plants, food and other items. Rick

cool, i haven't seen anything besides what was on the link. i'm still not sure if you can just show up and pay at the door. we are going regardless though. see you over there Rick. we should have SD name tags, lol

frenchie100
08-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Definitely going Ricardo. I will call you later on today.

Chad Hughes
08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Not going to be able to make it here. Sorry.

Best wishes!

rickscics
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Everyone interested in going should read this message from Brian Dowining President of the COAST fish club. I wanted to make sure Tickets would be available at the door!
He responded:
Hi Rick, absolutely. Please ask them to arrive at 12:30 at the latest to ensure that we get everyone seated to begin on time. Thanks, Brian

rickztahone
08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
sounds good and thanks for verifying that for us Rick. see you guys/gals tomorrow

casw
08-04-2009, 05:46 PM
It's already been over for 2 days but...

I had a great time at this event and am glad to have the chance to see and hear Heiko Bleher in California!

It was nice seeing Frenchie100 and Ricztahone again and it was good to meet Ricscics and Gotfish as well.

Gotfish took pictures and I think he'll email them to Ricztahone to post. If anyone from C.O.A.S.T. reads this I'd like to thank your organization for setting up this event.

Chad Hughes
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Looking forward to the pics! Sorry I couldn't make it!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
here you are Chad! wish you could have gone buddy.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/062.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/063.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/065.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/066.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/067.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/rickztahone/discus%20tanks/071.jpg
from left to right:
me (rickztahone), casper (casw), Tien (ewok), Heiko Blehr, Julie (frenchie100), Benedict (gotfish?), Rick (rickscics)

pictures taken by Benedict and uploaded by me ;)

Disgirl
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Good to get to see the fun some of you got to have:D! Wish I could have heard Heiko speak too. Bet it was a fun day!
Barb

rickscics
08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
It was really informative and extremely entertaining. Heiko was great and truly perhaps the most traveled well informed speaker in the business.
Amazing. Great to see and meet all the Simply Discus members . Heiko also took a picture of our group to post on his Web site I assume. Rick

Chad Hughes
08-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Wow! Looks like you all had an awesome time! I swear I'll be at the next whatever! LOL! Thanks for posting up the pics Rick!

Best wishes!

Eddie
08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Great pictures Ricardo! Bet is what a pretty good time.

Take care,

Eddie

rickztahone
08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Great pictures Ricardo! Bet is what a pretty good time.

Take care,

Eddie

it was very informative. i had a great time

frenchie100
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
I had a great time. I learned so much and is was good to get a better understanding of discus in their natural environment. The take home message I got was that I had to put white sand in my tank LOL!

Ricardo and Casper- It was great seeing you both.

Tien and Rick- It was really nice meeting you both. :)

Benedict- I am sure this meeting made it that much more difficult for you to part from your discus. I have a feeling you are going to have to set up a new tank once in the Philippines ;).

Meeting Heiko Bleher and listening to his presentation about biotopes was absolutely amazing.

The auction was pretty fun too. Thank goodness there were no discus :D.

gotfish?
08-06-2009, 08:19 PM
haha yea i know :( ...hey julie hows your new deservingly earn plants doing?(someone went on a bidding spree :D) LOL

i have to tell yah people, after attending this lecture with heiko bleher, a tiny voice(with a italian accent) is whispering..."go get wild discus, go get wild discus....and build a BIOTOPE!" haha...

frenchie100
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
They are doing great! They look that much better in my tank knowing that I had to fight for them, LOL! :D

Go get wilds and build a biotope!

-Julie

rickscics
08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Julie, I know you had a blast and the auction was fun for you:)
Sure was great to meet you and the others. Hope to keep in touch. Pm me your email so I can send you some videos. take care,Rick

Heiko Bleher
08-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys,

this is really nice of you all, and specially (rickztahone), casper (casw), Tien (ewok), Julie (frenchie100), Benedict (gotfish?), Rick (rickscics) and Benedict,
you are great and thank you very much. For those nice comments and the pictures.

I had also paced a couple of the comments and pictures of most of you all at my website, look under:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=385&Itemid=1
(you can also see some picture from my June field trip in Australia, no discus, but an amazing neck-bending fish - the only one on earth).

I had a long flight back on Monday, but I guess some of you also came from far, but made it well back aswell, as I can see.

Sorry I could not show the informative videos, still do not undertsnd why their beamer did not transmit, but surely the next time I will show it.

You now take care (as I explained) of these nice discus, you and the fishes will enjoy it much more,

you all keep up the good work, also in the Philippine (where I should go soon to lecture, officially invited, but date not set), and hope to see you all soon again,

always from a collector and (also) discus lover,

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

terps
08-13-2009, 01:53 PM
People should start video taping meetings and lectures like Heiko's and post them on youtube. Every fish club should have a guy/gal in charge of taping these meetings/lectures. It would be good for the hobby.

Discus-Hans
08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
People should start video taping meetings and lectures like Heiko's and post them on youtube. Every fish club should have a guy/gal in charge of taping these meetings/lectures. It would be good for the hobby.

Not all speakers want that, neither would I.

this is for a few reasons, some people get paid for their talk and it's a kind of income. We never ask money for our talks only travel expense and if needed (distance more as 3 ~ 4 hours drive) a hotel room for Joanne & me.
We bring to most talks a box of Discus as donation, most clubs MAKE money on my talk.

Other thing is, clubs have meetings with speakers, get people away from their computer for a while :D if every speaker is online ................................... ????

Hans

rickztahone
08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Not all speakers want that, neither would I.

this is for a few reasons, some people get paid for their talk and it's a kind of income. We never ask money for our talks only travel expense and if needed (distance more as 3 ~ 4 hours drive) a hotel room for Joanne & me.
We bring to most talks a box of Discus as donation, most clubs MAKE money on my talk.

Other thing is, clubs have meetings with speakers, get people away from their computer for a while :D if every speaker is online ................................... ????

Hans

that is a very good point Hans. i know there was someone recording this meeting but it might have been for the Costa Mesa group they have going only.

Heiko Bleher
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Hans,

and thank you, you made the point. Actually I have just written nice things about you in my volume II, it is another monster and with this I hope to have really completed Discus for hopefully the future (at least has all records since the very begin of breeding, selection, championships, developments, health, care, aquariums, decorations, diseases, practical experience, advice, future, also of Amazonia and in aquaria...and newest findings). I wrote about every single country which has discus breeders (over 300 from nearly 100 countries) and in Holland you are the first...

anyhow, keep up the good work (which I know you hate to work...)

always

Heiko
www.aquapress-bleher.com