PDA

View Full Version : self priming pump

calihawker
05-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Some of you might know that I am working on different auto water change systems and I just had a KILLER idea. What I'm looking for is a self priming pump. Something that can be outside and above the tank. Something in the 400-500 gph range.

Thanks!!

Ed13
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Call John @ Jehmco.com or visit aquatic ecosystems

I had a similar idea but changed it a bit because I also needed the pump to be pressure rated. So I created a constantly primmed line on a non self-primming pump by placing a check valve(a ball valve would've work too, but manually) on the input part of the pump a distance before the pumps volute. But you have to be careful not to get detritus trapped on the check valve or it'll fail to restrain water

HTH

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
To be honest, you'll have a hard time finding a self priming pump at that low flow. I would get yourself an appropriately sized mag-drive pump and put a foot valve on it as suggested earlier. So long as the water storage resevoir doesnt go below the pump intake, it'll hold prime. Trick is getting it to prime in the first place, lol. At the intake of the pump, instead of putting a 90 that screws in, get a T....one side from the water storage, the other end have a ball valve. Use ball valve to fill intake pipe and close ball valve....voila! primed pump.

-Ryan

calihawker
05-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks! Yeah I rigged something up that's working!!