PDA

View Full Version : Anyone breed angelfish

timmy101
05-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Anyone on here that breed angelfish? Does yall make any profit out of it, because I heard that angelfishcan lay alot of eggs and you will have alot of fries. I saw a man that has a pair of it and he made around 500 fries in one month. If you guys do post some pics on here and let peoples see them.

Scribbles
05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Check out the photo section. Someone had angels that they bred.

Chris

KDodds
05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
I used to, a long time ago. No, it's not that profitable unless you're selling the flavor of the month. They're just too dang prolific. When gold blushers were first available I was producing them at (if I remember correctly, it was more than 20 years ago) 50¢ each, initially (LFS resale, they were going for maybe $4). By the second or third batch, I was lucky to get 25¢. A few months later and they were 10¢. Same thing now, allowing for inflation. Kois were a premium last year, not so any longer, now maybe platinums or albinos might get you a premium price. Of course, now you also have the advantage of being able to ship them anywhere, with free internet advertising, etc., so you wouldn't necessarily take the hit I did, but you won't likely get rich off it either, not with a few tanks. Same holds true for discus, BTW, which can be substantially higher priced. Just a couple of pairs and you'll glut the local market and have to resort to selling online. Note the sponsors' prices on varying strains here and how much lower they are than LFS pricing. You can get pocket money, but you can't support a college tuition, not as a casual breeder.

brewmaster15
05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Breed angels? Nope never did...

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50460:D:D:D

I don't currently..of all those I only have 1 pair I kept.... Not worth the tank space they took up here..

Are they profitable...depends on your market area and what you are planning on breeding...for me in CT...It was not worth it from a money stand point .... I still like them as a hobby fish though.

hth,
al

Kenny's Discus
05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
My experience has been similar to KDodds' and Al's, and I was not even much of an Angelfish breeder at the time...just stumbled upon an Albino Angelfish pair from a friend. I artificially bred every batch and since this pair was quite prolific batch after batch I at one point had to put about 700 small frys in a single 55g!:D

But trying to sell them consistently was a whole different story. In the end I remembered wholesaling them all off for like $0.10 per piece just to concentrate on breeding discus. Personally and if on a small scale, I would rather breed German Blue rams instead.

Kenny

terps
05-19-2009, 08:31 AM
You need a lot of grow out room to breed angelfish.

http://www.ozarkangels.com/

:)

A good pair of angels can easily produce 1000 fry a month if you pull the spawns. Stores like Walmart, Petco and Petsmart don't buy fish from local breeders. And your local fish store can probably purchase angels cheaper from wholesalers than what you can produce them for. Selling angelfish through mail order is probably not viable it since the shipping is too expensive. Right now the economy is in terrible shape. Unless you have lots of local fish stores in your area that will buy everything you can produce(you'll probably have to go to several large cities), it's probably not a good idea. Remember, producing stuff is easy, selling stuff is very, very hard.

ApacheDan
05-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm trying to gauge the interest in something like these....wonder if people will appreciate them...just got some Pinoys...wonder if they're worth breeding...not your typical Petsmart angel...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/pinoysmokeyleopard.jpg

smsimcik
05-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey Dan, those pinoys and paraibas of Ken Kennedy are the latest rage on the angelfish forums. If you can breed them, you won't have any trouble selling them to angelfish collectors. It's too early to say how the general fish hobbyist will like them.

Discusgeo2
05-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I breed Angelfish and have 2 pairs of Pinoys with young right now. Heres a link to one of my pairs.

http://www.angelfishkisses.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2599

ApacheDan
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I breed Angelfish and have 2 pairs of Pinoys with young right now. Heres a link to one of my pairs.

http://www.angelfishkisses.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2599

Very nice George...I got some nickel size wide-fin pearlscales & some platinum veils and one lonely clown. Saw some beutiful smokeys, but not for sale...yet. It's going to take a while.

John_Nicholson
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I have in the past and did ok. It is not unheard of for a pair to produce 1000 eggs at a time and if you pull the eggs they will breed weekly. As stated above it is very easy to outproduce your market. I was lucky that my local market could take a lot of fish. I had one store that was buying 400 about every 3 weeks, but most stores would take less then 50 at a time. I got $1.00 per at quarter size.

-john

timmy101
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Anyone try to breed german Blue Ram before I heard that it hard to breed them just like flowerhorns.

KDodds
05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I've not had any problems getting my GBR to spawn, but in the discus tank they always eat their eggs. Just as well, cichlids protecting fry = mayhem in the tank.

pcsb23
05-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Not had much luck breeding angels ;)

terps
05-23-2009, 10:52 AM
My experience has been similar to KDodds' and Al's, and I was not even much of an Angelfish breeder at the time...just stumbled upon an Albino Angelfish pair from a friend. I artificially bred every batch and since this pair was quite prolific batch after batch I at one point had to put about 700 small frys in a single 55g!:D

But trying to sell them consistently was a whole different story. In the end I remembered wholesaling them all off for like $0.10 per piece just to concentrate on breeding discus. Personally and if on a small scale, I would rather breed German Blue rams instead.

Kenny

Yup, raising 700 angels and selling them for only $70.00 is a quick way to the poor house. I bet the wholesaler was smiling. :D

Apistomaster
05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I raise a fraction of what my 3 pairs of wild Peruvian Scalares produce so I don't saturate my regional market. It helps keep the prices up. I also only sell them at a larger size than most other Angelfish. They are perfect natural Angels the way nature designed them. I have zero interest in aquarium strains.

I plan to add Pterophyllum leopoldi so I can offer 2 species of wild Angels.
I only sell a few hundred per year but I get $5 to $6 each for them wholesale.
I feed my surplus fry to my other fish.

Half grown Peruvian Scalare:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t41/apistomaster/PeruScalareWS005.jpg

trebor69
06-05-2009, 09:36 AM
In the end I remembered wholesaling them all off for like $0.10 per piece just to concentrate on breeding discus. Personally and if on a small scale, I would rather breed German Blue rams instead.

Kenny

krikey I could get more for them as BAIT or FEEDERS haha

I have a pair of black angels right now....first time I've ever had angels. They are on their 4th spawn and I think they got it right this time. I don't know how many wigglers are on the cone right now but there must be atleast 5-600...probably more. I hope I am able to save some and some survive...and I hope to sell a few in a couple months.

if not....they make good arrowana food haha