PDA

View Full Version : I am Ready

acroken
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Hello All, I am a happy man! Discus coming on Thursday and my tank hold water,LoL.
Here is the tank I am going to be using for the challenge . This has been used as a sump in one of my systems for years. The tank is a 100 gal show tank with dimensions of 15 3/4" wide x 48" long x 32" high:) I have never kept fish in this tank before, so we will see how the discus like the depth. The disadvantage to this tank is it has to be on the lower level,which I am not to crazy about.The filters will be an external sand filter,internal water polisher,over the top trickle filter and sponges. I am planning on keeping these guys on the same schedule as the rest of my tanks. I rely on heavy water changes, so this tank will have a plumbed drain and water fill line similar to my others. My tap is filtered through a few carbon blocks and heated for 24 hrs. Prime is added prior to w/c. My PH is 7.0-7.2 after aging, but I do not worry much about the ph on grow outs as much as I watch the temp which will be adjusted according to there behavior. I resealed this tank due to its age and since I bleached it 2x and washed it down with isopropyl alcohol and it held water:D I will be setting up the filters and refilling the tank with prepared water tonight. I wanted to at least post pictures of where I was and what I plan to use. I will try not to stray away from my normal discus keeping style during this and see how I fair. I will be updating soon. Hope you like the set up.

Kenny

gotfish?
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
awesome. LOVE the tank dimension:D:D good luck:antlers:

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Looking good Kenny! I'll be receiving my discus Thursday as well.

Best wishes!

Eddie
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello All, I am a happy man! Discus coming on Thursday and my tank hold water,LoL.
Here is the tank I am going to be using for the challenge . This has been used as a sump in one of my systems for years. The tank is a 100 gal show tank with dimensions of 15 3/4" wide x 48" long x 32" high:) I have never kept fish in this tank before, so we will see how the discus like the depth. The disadvantage to this tank is it has to be on the lower level,which I am not to crazy about.The filters will be an external sand filter,internal water polisher,over the top trickle filter and sponges. I am planning on keeping these guys on the same schedule as the rest of my tanks. I rely on heavy water changes, so this tank will have a plumbed drain and water fill line similar to my others. My tap is filtered through a few carbon blocks and heated for 24 hrs. Prime is added prior to w/c. My PH is 7.0-7.2 after aging, but I do not worry much about the ph on grow outs as much as I watch the temp which will be adjusted according to there behavior. I resealed this tank due to its age and since I bleached it 2x and washed it down with isopropyl alcohol and it held water:D I will be setting up the filters and refilling the tank with prepared water tonight. I wanted to at least post pictures of where I was and what I plan to use. I will try not to stray away from my normal discus keeping style during this and see how I fair. I will be updating soon. Hope you like the set up.

Kenny

Excellent news Kenny, sounds like an extremely effective set-up! Can't wait to see your fish BLOW up in size.

All the best,

Eddie

dean9922
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Nice set-up and home for your new discus....good luck with everything...

Scribbles
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Looks like a great set up. Can't wait to see the discus in it.

Chris

SriAngel
05-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Dang Kenny! you look like youre ready to do some serious work over there. Best of luck in the contest

kirkp
05-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice setup Kenny. Is the external sand filter a fluidized bed filter? I've often toyed with the idea of making one of those.

Good luck.

Kirk

acroken
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice setup Kenny. Is the external sand filter a fluidized bed filter? I've often toyed with the idea of making one of those.

Good luck.

Kirk
Kirk, yes they are. They work well for me. I do not know about the newer models? Mine are made by Quick Sand and are probably 10 + years old, always have worked perfectly. Let me know if you need one to model from, I have a few that are not in uses.

Kenny

calihawker
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Great looking setup Kenny!

Ben75
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Kenny,
Mate nice looking setup. The challenge fish
will be happy in there i am sure.
Good luck & looking forward to seeing your progress.
Regards,

acroken
05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone. About 13 hours till I pick them up:D Tank and equipment is ready, water is looking good. Just finished mixing up a new batch of food...now what do I do. Kidding, there is always water to be changed :) I post pictures of the new guys tomorrow.

Kenny

TankWatcher
05-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Not much longer now Kenny. All the best.

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Great set-up Kenny to house you newbies :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)