PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Discus Tank

MissMTS
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi Everyone :)

I kept discus for a few months about a year ago, but since my schedule was so hectic, I couldn't keep up with the maininance that they require and I rehomed them and re-stocked my tank with hardier fish. My schedule has recently opened up a lot, and I am thinking of breaking down my African Cichlid tank in the near future and giving discus another try.

The tank is a 70 gallon tall. The dimensions are: 36x18x24 inches. I would like to know how many adult discus I would be able to keep in the tank. I would start with juvies and grow them out bare bottom, and then upgrade to a planted tank once they reach adult size. I was also thinking of adding a school of sterbai cories to the bottom to help eat up any of the extra food. When growing out juvies, what kind of water changes should I expect to do? Are daily WC's really necessary or would 2-3 times weekly suffice? I am open to any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks!
Kate

William Palumbo
05-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Kate...You can easily go with 6 or 7 Discus. That follows the 10gal. per fish guideline. I would not stock it more than that, because you said the tank was a "tall". They usually have a smaller surface area than a regular 70, so make sure you have good water movement in it, especially at the surface. As far as water changes go...no you do not need to make them everyday. Make them every other day, or some other schedule that won't burn you out, keeping from doing them...Bill

Yassmeena
05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi Everyone :)

I kept discus for a few months about a year ago, but since my schedule was so hectic, I couldn't keep up with the maininance that they require and I rehomed them and re-stocked my tank with hardier fish. My schedule has recently opened up a lot, and I am thinking of breaking down my African Cichlid tank in the near future and giving discus another try.

The tank is a 70 gallon tall. The dimensions are: 36x18x24 inches. I would like to know how many adult discus I would be able to keep in the tank. I would start with juvies and grow them out bare bottom, and then upgrade to a planted tank once they reach adult size. I was also thinking of adding a school of sterbai cories to the bottom to help eat up any of the extra food. When growing out juvies, what kind of water changes should I expect to do? Are daily WC's really necessary or would 2-3 times weekly suffice? I am open to any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks!
Kate

Hi Kate,

Bill gave you good advice. If you do WCs 2-3 times a week you may want to keep in mind a couple of things.

1 - make sure you have a pre-filter that keeps debris from entering your filter, and rinse it under the faucet everyday.

2 - do a net sweep to collect debris from the bottom every day (after removing the prefilter bc doing so causes some more debris)

3 - you won't be able to feed them as frequently as some might want to (i.e. 3-5 times a day) bc that would add to the tank mess

A question: have you considered buying adult or sub-adult instead? They would be less effected in case you have busy periods.

Yasmin

MissMTS
05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Kate...You can easily go with 6 or 7 Discus. That follows the 10gal. per fish guideline. I would not stock it more than that, because you said the tank was a "tall". They usually have a smaller surface area than a regular 70, so make sure you have good water movement in it, especially at the surface. As far as water changes go...no you do not need to make them everyday. Make them every other day, or some other schedule that won't burn you out, keeping from doing them...Bill

Thanks for the advice Bill. 2-3 times a week sounds manageble. I was thinking, if I decided to do a planted tank from the start wouldn't the plants help cut down on the buildup of nitrates between water changes?

Hi Kate,

Bill gave you good advice. If you do WCs 2-3 times a week you may want to keep in mind a couple of things.

1 - make sure you have a pre-filter that keeps debris from entering your filter, and rinse it under the faucet everyday.

2 - do a net sweep to collect debris from the bottom every day (after removing the prefilter bc doing so causes some more debris)

3 - you won't be able to feed them as frequently as some might want to (i.e. 3-5 times a day) bc that would add to the tank mess

A question: have you considered buying adult or sub-adult instead? They would be less effected in case you have busy periods.

Yasmin

Thanks Yasmin. By a prefilter, do you just mean a sponge that fits over the filter intake? I would prefer to start with adults or sub adults actually, but the price is a little daunting, lol. Maybe I should just wait and save up in order to save myself the extra work. How small do you think I could go? Would a 4 inch discus be considered adult or sub adult?

Eddie
05-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advice Bill. 2-3 times a week sounds manageble. I was thinking, if I decided to do a planted tank from the start wouldn't the plants help cut down on the buildup of nitrates between water changes?

Thanks Yasmin. By a prefilter, do you just mean a sponge that fits over the filter intake? I would prefer to start with adults or sub adults actually, but the price is a little daunting, lol. Maybe I should just wait and save up in order to save myself the extra work. How small do you think I could go? Would a 4 inch discus be considered adult or sub adult?

4 inch fish would be reaching into sub-adult. The Pre-filter is just as you mentioned., a small sponge on the intake to collect particles before they start building in your filter and degrading the water quality. ;)

Eddie

seanyuki
05-21-2009, 09:06 PM
The ATI prefilter fits most of the HOB Aquaclear models.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/th_pre_fil__3-1.jpg (http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/pre_fil__3-1.jpg)

Cheers
Francis:)