PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank options?

Disgirl
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
After reading the disease threads and noticing all the needs for a qt tank, sometimes with short notice, I am wondering something. I don't have a qt tank big enough for my 12 discus, should they need it. Is it possible to use a large rubbermaid type container, say 20-50 gal. for awhile? With airstone, or filter, heater and a net for cover? Or do discus need clear glass, or do they care? Or is it us that need glass so we can look in on them while in qt? Thanks for comments.
Barbara :)

seanyuki
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Just need some info...12 discus perhaps the sizes could help....I do not recommend a rubbermaid...hard to see the condition of the fish too....perhaps get 29 gallons tank for QT...you won't regret it....many menbers here could suggest another opinion.

Cheers
Francis:)

tcyiu
05-26-2009, 08:51 PM
This is just an opinion, but a large rubbermaid will be fine in a pinch. The chances of a catastrophic failure which requires moving all your fish, tends to be pretty low (unless you're accident prone :-) )

For a regular hospital/quarantine tank, a 10 gal aquarium should be fine. It's good for one to two fish that get sick. If more than couple get sick, you would probably medicate the whole tank, and remove the sensitive animals to the small tank.

I like the smaller tanks because sick fish are weak. A small tank makes it easy for them to get to the surface. And it's easy to dose with medication.

Again, just an opinion.

Tim

Disgirl
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for replies guys! I have 12 youngsters. 10 are 3" or so and 2 are over 4". I have a 20 gal. empty so will use it or a rubbermaid if I need something larger. Hopefully won't need em. Several yrs ago I had a 125 gal. tank crack and water started pouring onto our LR carpet. I quickly grabbed an empty 100 gal. black inground pond, put it right on the carpet and bailed water and angelfish right into it. It worked for a week until I got a new tank up and running. That was one of the worst nights of my life as I recall...
Barbara :)

Scribbles
05-27-2009, 11:39 PM
In an emergency the bathtub works well. Just remember to clean it with bleach first and remove soaps, shampoos, razors, etc. Makes for easy wc too.

Chris

Disgirl
05-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Just read this and I must admit I had not thought of the bathtub! I can see that in a real emergency this could work. Like when my 125 gal tank had cracked glass. Thanks for the idea Chris.
Barbara:D

KDodds
05-31-2009, 07:34 AM
My large emergency "holding pen" for "massive" gallonage is one of those blow up kiddie pools. They'll store in a fairly small box, pump and all, in the back of a closet until needed. A 30" 6' diameter pool will hold over 500 gallons. In my case, it fits in my living room with room to spare, too. ;)

keef
05-31-2009, 07:41 AM
I actually have a plastic fold out patio pond which I use, lucked out on it in a garden nursary back in the UK. Folds up into a tiny space and holds approx 60g, ready to use in about 5 secs- just add water!

keef
05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Bath tub an awesome idea! But if my better half ever caught me holding Discus in the bathtub I'd be sleeping on the couch for a week!