PDA

View Full Version : GAME ON

acroken
05-21-2009, 04:56 PM
I received the challenge discus today:D I have never seen discus settle in so quickly. 5 minutes after releasing into tank they started roaming around and picking at the filters. The shipping and condition of them was perfect, not a fin out of place LoL. I checked the temperature 85 deg, so adjusting was easy. I was thinking on my way home from fedex, these fish could not have a better start. Being raised in Forrest hatchery then a few weeks at Kenny's and two weeks at Al's. They are some lucky discus. I only hope I do not disappoint them:) The shape of these guys is real nice and looking healthy. My water parameters are ph 7.0-temp 85.5-mS .44/tds 300. I used new seeded sponges from a clean tank which I feed with NH4OH. I still have to add the sand and trickle filter to this set up, but I will wait as I want the sponge filter to adjust to the new bio load and not to add too much current. This tank is not connected to any other tanks and will stay that way. I took a few pictures of these guys 2-3 minutes after being released. I will keep the lights out and stay away from them until tomorrow. They will not be feed today. I will post pictures tomorrow once they settle in. I am so happy:D It is a blessing to know people like Forrest, Kenny, Al and Ryan, you guys are the best. I can not thank you enough. This is going to be such a great experience. Now I am off to have a few beers and shoot some pool. Thanks for reading.

Kenny

brewmaster15
05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Awesome Kenny!

Best of luck in Raising out some Champions here!!:)

-al

calihawker
05-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Way to go Kenny! Looks like they're in the right hands for sure.:thumbsup:
Good luck!

2075turner
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
oh Kenny,

They look great. Glad to hear that they arrived safely. Beer and pool.....a guy after my own heart....have fun:)

wgtaylor
05-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Kenny, they look great. Big relief to get them in their new tank and settled huh ! Good pics.
Take care,
Bill

Eddie
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Glad they arrived Kenny! They look to be doing very well.

Best of luck!

Eddie

Scribbles
05-21-2009, 10:27 PM
They look terrific! Good luck with them.

Chris

kirkp
05-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Kenny, Looking good my man. As others have said, we've all already become winners in the challenge.

Kirk

PS I really like all your toys.

rickztahone
05-22-2009, 02:34 AM
what kind of Milwaukee meter is that? looks very handy. the fish look great btw and i'm sure you will not disappoint them at all ;)

seanyuki
05-22-2009, 06:31 AM
Wow Kenny.....very clean tank & the discus are doing good.

Cheers
Francis:)

Diamond Discus
05-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Everything looks clean and organized. Look out challengers!!

I love your title to this thread!:D

acroken
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss50/acroken/IMG_0883.jpg

Here is a few of them hanging out. They are very cute:) Every time I even come close to there tank they all dash to the front corner begging for food LoL. I would not be surprised if I find one of them flipping across the floor trying to get to the fridge. These guys have great shape and are settled in nicely. I feed them this morning some bw. I will feed them 2x today and see how they look. I will do a 20% w/c tonight. The eyes are real cool, kinda look like pin wheels. I am very pleased with them.

Kenny

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Glad to see you recieved them & all is well Kenny

I too, also think the eyes look really cool as well as them overall :D

Let the games begin

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Eddie
05-23-2009, 09:58 PM
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss50/acroken/IMG_0883.jpg

Here is a few of them hanging out. They are very cute:) Every time I even come close to there tank they all dash to the front corner begging for food LoL. I would not be surprised if I find one of them flipping across the floor trying to get to the fridge. These guys have great shape and are settled in nicely. I feed them this morning some bw. I will feed them 2x today and see how they look. I will do a 20% w/c tonight. The eyes are real cool, kinda look like pin wheels. I am very pleased with them.

Kenny

Gorgeous shots of the fish Kenny. I knew that blue background would set them off!

Take care and all the best,

Eddie

SriAngel
05-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Kenny,

Excellent setup, you like you're about to take this head on! Best of Luck, but im sure you will not need it.

Angel

seanyuki
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
They are looking Kenny.....interesting those albinos have mood bars & so cute.:D....Thanks for the updates.

Cheers
Francis:)

MSD
05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm rooting for Kenny, he is a neat fish keeper and has a plan for growing them out, and he will follow it for consistent care which is all they need.

acroken
05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
what kind of Milwaukee meter is that? looks very handy. the fish look great btw and i'm sure you will not disappoint them at all ;)

Hey Ricardo,
The Milwaukee meter is model # SM802 PH/EC/TDS. It is real durable and accurate. I would recommend it. I bought it since the lab grade ph meters probe is so delicate(other meter in picture).

Kenny

MostlyDiscus
05-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Kenny,
Intresting set up. Are you going to put a pvc adapter in the bulk head fitting for WCs? Just wondering how big the tank is. Is it a cube?

Ed

GrillMaster
05-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Thats one spotless tank Kenny!! I would eat out of that tank. Good luck to ya! :)

acroken
05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Kenny,
Intresting set up. Are you going to put a pvc adapter in the bulk head fitting for WCs? Just wondering how big the tank is. Is it a cube?

Ed

Ed,
the bulkhead is connected to a 1 1/4" plumbed drain line. I can change 75 gal in minutes:) This is the first time keeping fish in this tank, they seem to like it so far. The dimensions are 15 3/4" wide x 48" long x 32" high.

Kenny

MostlyDiscus
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Ya that is the way to go for sure. I would get a male adapter along with a few inches of pipe to keep the water at a few inches from the bottom during WCs. Nice Kenny.

Ed

discusluvr818
05-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Great looking setup. This is truly going to be so fun to watch, good luck!!! :D

acroken
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Great looking setup. This is truly going to be so fun to watch, good luck!!! :D I am liking the tank now more and more, just do not want to try and net them in there, I dropped a pvc fitting in and I was wet up to my chest getting it out.I need longer arms:)

MostlyDiscus
Ya that is the way to go for sure. I would get a male adapter along with a few inches of pipe to keep the water at a few inches from the bottom during WCs. Nice Kenny.

Edy.

Ed Ed, Thank you, I do appreciate your feed back

GrillMaster
Thats one spotless tank Kenny!! I would eat out of that tank. Good luck to ya! Mark,I think you would have to fight off 6 little piranhas to get at any food in there. LoL, thanks. looking forward to the next meeting. Let me know if you need me to help with anything, besides finishing off the beer:D

MSD
I'm rooting for Kenny, he is a neat fish keeper and has a plan for growing them out, and he will follow it for consistent care which is all they need. Mark, I will not let you down:D I try and keep it real simple, hard work and close observation. Thanks again

seanyuki
They are looking Kenny.....interesting those albinos have mood bars & so cute.....Thanks for the updates.

Cheers
Francis
That was right after I released them, I was thinking the same. Now they are settled and warmed up no more bars:(. Thank you francis

SriAngel
Kenny,
Excellent setup, you like you're about to take this head on! Best of Luck, but im sure you will not need it.

Angel Coming from you Angle, that is a huge complement:) I did not know you lived in NYC, not too far way. Next time I am in NYC I will let you know. Go Eagles! LoL. Thanks

Eddie

Kenny
Gorgeous shots of the fish Kenny. I knew that blue background would set them off!

Take care and all the best,

Eddie
Eddie, I like that color back ground-spa blue. Thanks for all your help. As always, you rock!

Armandi_Fishcarer
Glad to see you recieved them & all is well Kenny
I too, also think the eyes look really cool as well as them overall
Let the games begin
Regards
Ahmed
Ahmed, there eyes are starting to break up a bit:mad: losing the white band. I was hoping it would stay divided. I know it is not as desirable as a full red eye, but i like it also. Thank you

Diamond Discus
Everything looks clean and organized. Look out challengers!!
I love your title to this thread!
I am organized with my fish, that's it. LoL. Everything else is a mess, kidding. I guess that comes from being a woodworker for so many years, need to know where all your tools are:D

Thanks again everyone. This has been a big day for me, first video post, first full size picture post and first multi quote reply. Good thing I am getting paid for all this.:D

Kenny