PDA

View Full Version : Lighting requirements for frogbit

Scribbles
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know the lighting requirements for Amazon Frogbit? The sites that I have checked have said high, moderate and low. Huhh... Does it do well at all light levels? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Eddie
05-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know the lighting requirements for Amazon Frogbit? The sites that I have checked have said high, moderate and low. Huhh... Does it do well at all light levels? Thanks in advance.

Chris

High, medium and low sounds like all the light levels to me. Guess that doesn't include very low or very high or......very medium. LMAO.

Eddie

Scribbles
05-22-2009, 01:36 AM
LOL Ya the only thing agreed upon ( I guess) is not to leave 'em in the dark. LOL I've always kept mine at 1.5-3 wpg depending on what else is in the tank. They did best at the higher end but I was just curious as to what is recomended.

Chris

TankWatcher
05-22-2009, 03:45 AM
Hey Chrs, thanks for starting this thread. I'm asking the same question of Dan, as he has it in his tank too. I'm thinking maybe I need to up my lighting for it, but interested to read here of anyone else's experience with it.

pcsb23
05-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Chris,

I've kept frogbit in most light conditions and it does ok. It seems to prefer higher light than lower light, but that just affects it's rate of growth (and size/reproduction). In high light it covers the top of the tank in week or so ....

The only time I had probs with it was in a very low light tank.

Mr Wild
05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Chris,

I've kept frogbit in most light conditions and it does ok. It seems to prefer higher light than lower light, but that just affects it's rate of growth (and size/reproduction). In high light it covers the top of the tank in week or so ....

OOOOO pass it onto me Rob my light is that bright we will have cover in a week or two!

wolf13
05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Chris,

I would agree, it is also a nutriant sink. high light plus nutriants and it will have very high growth. I have found though that the older leaves tend to be more susceptable to algea growth under higher light and would serve as an early indicator if something was going off on my ferts or light. at 72 watts on a 29g and 110 on a 55g wide I was trimming once or twice a week to keep it in check or it would cover the tank starting from 5% - 10% cover (ie, a few sprigs and a few leaves on each sprig each time) each time.

Scribbles
05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've had good results at higher light levels but just got to wondering the other night after doing a little additional research.

Chris

TankWatcher
05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
OOOOO pass it onto me Rob my light is that bright we will have cover in a week or two! :( Sorry Kath, can't pass any on until I have grown myself a good amount of back-up & I'm in no danger of losing it all & being back to square one.

I have strong lights too. The issue was more that I (incorrectly) believed this to be a low light plant & so I was not turning on my 2nd bank of lights. Also the total lighting period was on the short side.

Now that the lighting schedule has been adjusted, I hope to see a spurt in growth.

Mr Wild
05-24-2009, 02:36 AM
Oh excellent. Totally understand can't afford to lose our master stock !

nickmcmechan
05-24-2009, 03:22 AM
frogbit will tolerate most light levels although you may stuggle at less than 1.5wpg.

it grows extremely well in tanks dosed using an EI schedule

one of the most important factors is surface movement...as with any floating plant...low levels of surface movement and it will grow rapidly

TankWatcher
05-24-2009, 04:17 AM
one of the most important factors is surface movement...as with any floating plant...low levels of surface movement and it will grow rapidlyI have some surface movement, the bubbles from the sponge filter rising to the surface. Is that enough to cause an issue?

pcsb23
05-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I have some surface movement, the bubbles from the sponge filter rising to the surface. Is that enough to cause an issue?Never did in any of mine.

TankWatcher
05-25-2009, 12:20 AM
it grows extremely well in tanks dosed using an EI scheduleHi nickmcmechan, would you still recommend EI in a tank where the only plant is frogbit? I was just wondering if the EI level of fert dosing for a single plant tank might be a bit too much & an invitation to algae?