PDA

View Full Version : Gwynnbrook Farms Discus Hatchery

Munchkinz
05-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Has anyone purchased from them? They're about 45 minutes from me and I was thinking of checking them out.

Graham
05-22-2009, 06:56 PM
A number of us have bought fish from Peter...no complaints at all.If you search my name and Gwynnnbrook you find a couple of threads

DonMD
05-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Peter Thode has some very beautiful fish in his farm, along with the cows and whatnot. It is most definitely worth a trip if you are in the area. Peter has always been fair and honest. I never ordered fish from him, I just called him and said, "can I come by and see what you've got, and by the way I'm bringing my mother in law . . ."

My most hearty recommendation. I still have several very health beautiful discus from Gwynbrook farms.!

kareen
05-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Hi, yes he has some nice fish, over the years I have bought from him and was very happy with his fish just call him and ask him what he has . good luck with your fish

mbviola1
05-23-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi: Quidado! as they say in Spanish (I am not). Which means beware. I will say a couple of things and let you decide. I have about a dozen of Peter's fish. That's about half of what I originally purchased. What is left are quite nice; especially his red turqs.; however, the main issue I believe is Peter does feed worms!!!! Live tubifex. It took months getting them onto a healthy diet of Beefheart, NL flake and pellets, BS, BW, (Hikari) etc. Got the picture. The fact that someone is 45 minutes away for me shouldn't be the priority, there are other great discus people in Maryland that have healthier, problem free discus that are better, healthier, and more bang for the buck.
When I purchased from Gwynnbrook Farms he had very low stock and the conditions at the hatchery were less than acceptable, however I had wanted Peter's brilliants (not so brilliant) and his red turqs.
I do have a couple of nice pairs of the Turqs. but I repeat it took MONTHS of work and water changes, medication, worming, etc. to get them to where they are now and am still not sure in the long run. It has been 5 months now.
If your interested I can send pictures.
I would take a look at other breeders, i believe there is a very reliable breeder with great stock close to you.
If you need more info send me a personal message and I will take care of you.
Please understand I do not mean any disrespect to Gwynnbrook Farms only that you have a wonderful time with your discus.
Best, mbviola1

MostlyDiscus
05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Munchkin,

Just wanted to say that I too have purchased discus from Peter over the 17 yrs that I have known him. When I was there last he had a hugh tub of misquito larve and copepods. There was no evidence of live worms anywhere. I asked him if he fed worms and he said"NO verms". I believe him. All of the fish I purchased from him are doing great. See picture attached. If at the very least it is worth the trip to his place. He has been doing this a long time. Is his place spotless? No. It has character.

Ed

Munchkinz
05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone. Well I called last night & earlier today I checked out Gwynnbrook Farms. It wasn't quite what I had expected but it was well worth the trip. I'm glad I only took cash otherwise I'd be broke. The kids each picked out a juvie (1) 2-2.5 in. Pigeon and (1) 3 in. Blue Diamond and there now in a 39 gal QT. Seem very healthy and already eating (kept coming up to the front corner when anyone walked by so I fed them).
I plan to go back up again in a few weeks. He had a lot of really beautiful adult/semi adult Tangerines, Pigeons Bloods, Cobalts, Blue Diamonds and some that he referred to has Silverado's which he said was a cross from a Pigeon and a Blue Diamond and gets 3-5 Silverado's per maybe 100 fries. He took the time to show my 2 kids the tanks with eggs, wigglers and fry from 15 days old to a month old.
I spent probably a good 2 hours there looking at the fish and talking to Peter, he's really a great gentleman.

Munchkinz
05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
If at the very least it is worth the trip to his place. He has been doing this a long time. Is his place spotless? No. It has character. Ed

It was well worth the trip he has some really beautiful Discus. The place definitely has character & it was like a sauna in there drenched to our skivies in minutes - need to wear a swimsuit next time I go

terps
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Here's Graham's thread:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59730&highlight=gwynnbrook

Check out kitfoxdrvr's planted tank on this thread:
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96325

DonMD
05-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Character is a good way of describing Peter at Gwynbrook. He's been around a long time, and he knows discus. I'm glad to hear a good explanation about the allegation of him feeding live tubiflex worms. I always thought he made his own food, he even posts the recipe on his web site.

I wish there were more breeders - keepers - importers around like Peter and Hans in this area, it's always great to see new stuff, and to learn more about the hobby (well, affliction, addiction, passion -- hobby sometimes is not enough to describe it)!

I'm glad you went to visit, and just brought cash! I've left a lot of plastic over there ;)

Disgirl
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I've left a lot of plastic over there.

Me too! What an adventure to go there. I have been twice. My 2 PB's from there in Dec. are so beautiful and healthy. The hatchery is not the cleanest place, dirt floor in places, water running on the floor, etc. BUT the tanks have clean clear water with gorgeous discus in them! Go if you can...
Barbara :)

MostlyDiscus
05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Last time I was there Peter had a breeding pair of BDs that were as big as my hand. These were dinner plates. If ever I had seen an 8inch discus(SL) those fit the bill.

Ed

P.S. I threw a pic in of the pair again that had eggs. Maybe 200 wigglers now.

DonMD
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Last time I was there Peter had a breeding pair of BDs that were as big as my hand. These were dinner plates. If ever I had seen an 8inch discus(SL) those fit the bill.

Ed

P.S. I threw a pic in of the pair again that had eggs. Maybe 200 wigglers now.

Great to see the wigglers, Ed! Keep us posted on their progress. Still waiting on my new 125 g, hopefully I'll be looking for some more discus soon. -Don

MostlyDiscus
05-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Ya was going to say Don to let me know if you need a hand with the plumming. I can do pvc or copper. Ed

DonMD
05-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Ed! I'll send you a pm later on re plumbing!

alpine
05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I wish you would post pictures of your visit . I have only heard good things about Peter and would love to visit his hatchery.
Roberto.

Munchkinz
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I wish you would post pictures of your visit . I have only heard good things about Peter and would love to visit his hatchery.
Roberto.

Ya know I never even thought to take my camera. Will do though next time I visit.

CliffsDiscus
05-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Munchkin,

Just wanted to say that I too have purchased discus from Peter over the 17 yrs that I have known him. When I was there last he had a hugh tub of misquito larve and copepods. There was no evidence of live worms anywhere. I asked him if he fed worms and he said"NO verms". I believe him. All of the fish I purchased from him are doing great. See picture attached. If at the very least it is worth the trip to his place. He has been doing this a long time. Is his place spotless? No. It has character.

Ed

What happen to the Whiteworm Room, did he take it out.

Cliff

Graham
05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I've been there the last 2 years and have not seen this room...if it exists

Munchkinz
05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
What happen to the Whiteworm Room, did he take it out.

Cliff

I only saw the one room that all the fish were in. Never saw any other

CliffsDiscus
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I only saw the one room that all the fish were in. Never saw any other

I've been there the last 2 years and have not seen this room...if it exists

Graham,
You can ask Peter about the whiteworm room this was back in the early 90's when the
electricty cost was much cheaper, as I recall there was a air conditional in that room.

I did have some of his Dexheimer Red Discus back then.

Cliff

Imperialdiscus
09-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately my experience with Peter Thode was the single worst fish buying experience I've ever had, bar none.

Many years ago, I purchased some fish from him based on the pics in his ads back in the very early 90's. After a couple of phone calls, and assurances that he stood behind his fish, I purchased a number of adult Discus, Red Turquoise, Cobalts and Royal Blues for 100.00 - 150.00 each. As I recall, I got a total of 8 fish.

When I opened the boxes I was devastated. Every single fish he shipped me was badly deformed and should have been culled when it was young. One had a badly deformed spine, one when looking straight on was curved to one side making it look like a potato chip. Another had horribly deformed ventral fins and so on.

Not a single fish worth keeping in the bunch.

I called Peter about the quality of the fish and got some lame story about how looking at pictures of Discus in a magazine was like looking at pics of girls in Playboy and how the real fish didn't always look as good as the pictures.

He refused to make it right, his cop out being that what I got WAS worth the price I paid for them. If I wanted good quality fish like in his pictures, I'd have to pay 300.00 a piece or more for them. Unfortunately, he made no mention of this when I was discussing my purchase BEFORE he got my money.

I ended up taking them to my LFS and dumping them, no charge.

While I see some glowing reviews of Gwynbrook here, they are on my absolutely avoid at all costs list.