PDA

View Full Version : Equipment update.

calihawker
05-24-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm getting a better idea how this whole awc thing works. It's a murphy's law thing.

"The probability of detritus settling in one area is directly proportional to it's distance from the awc sweep.":mad:

Something I certainly expected but annoying none the less. For now the jury's still out on the awc.

In other news...
My new seafood/beefheart mix is a hit with the kids:D It holds together pretty well but it tends to cloud the water a bit:( I ordered a new canister filter today and should have it early next week. I want to ask you all if you think I need to cycle the canister filter before hooking it up to the nursery or is it irrelevent with 100% daily w/c?

Eddie
05-24-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm getting a better idea how this whole awc thing works. It's a murphy's law thing.

"The probability of detritus settling in one area is directly proportional to it's distance from the awc sweep.":mad:

Something I certainly expected but annoying none the less. For now the jury's still out on the awc.

In other news...
My new seafood/beefheart mix is a hit with the kids:D It holds together pretty well but it tends to cloud the water a bit:( I ordered a new canister filter today and should have it early next week. I want to ask you all if you think I need to cycle the canister filter before hooking it up to the nursery or is it irrelevent with 100% daily w/c?

Hey there Steve, glad to hear the fish are killing your new mix! :D

I would just add the new canister to the existing set-up (continuing whatever filtration you currently have) for about 3 or 4 weeks and then run the canister alone.

If you drop off your other filter and add the new one, there will be some trace off ammonia building up and nitrite will eventually build as well. Small amounts of ammonia have been linked to improper growth in juvenile fish. The nitrite can kill at a small amount so you would have to track really well and use salt. I would prefer to skip any of those risks and just use the 2 filters for a month. Now that you are using a beefheart/seafood mix thats a bit messy, that will only add to the ammonia/nitrite build up.

Hope that helps,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Steve,

I agree with Eddie. Use both filter for 30 days. As stated above, that will ensure that you don't go through a cycle that will show in the tank. Sounds like you're getting a real handle on the AWC! I'll be anxious to hear all about your fixes!

Best wishes!

calihawker
05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Well I've all but scrapped the awc idea. The main problem is that detritus settles in the areas where the sweep won't pick it up. The other problem is the additional equipment makes it more difficult to get the siphon in places to pick up the remnants. So at this point I'm gonna blow it off and concentrate on growing really BIG fish.:D