PDA

View Full Version : How NADA Spends It's Money

yogi
05-25-2009, 09:14 PM
It occurred to me that a lot of people have no idea what NADA is up to or what it does. There will be several different informative threads, but this one will discuss how we spend our money.

NADA brings a speaker into the ACA each year. This year we are paying for Cary Strong of Great Lakes Discus. He will be speaking Thursday night July 30th at 9:30 PM. We will pay for most of his hotel and travel expenses. Last year we paid for Tony Silva the discus writer at Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. Another year we paid for Dick Au to be our speaker. Bringing in this speaker usually costs NADA between $450. and $500. The ACA also brings in a discus speaker each year and this year it is Discus Hans. His talk will be on Saturday August 1st at 8:00 AM. So, anyone who makes it to the ACA will get to see two outstanding discus speakers. www.2009aca.com

NADA also pays to sponsor the Discus Division at the ACA. This costs $200. We underwrite one of the discus classes in the division at a cost to us of another $50. The ACA always had one discus class, but did not have a discus division. Thanks to our persistence, they expanded and created one. This year there are four discus classes in the discus division.

NADA also sponsors the discus division at various shows around North America. If we sponsor the discus class this generally runs about $25. We also supply a first place NADA plaque and this costs us another $25. Some of the shows we have participated in include the Missouri Aquarium Society, the Minnesota Aquarium Society, North Jersey Aquarium Society, Ohio Cichlid Extravaganza and the Canadian Association Of Aquarium Clubs, as well as others.
Something new that NADA has started is the online discus shows. Our second show is running right now. We hope to do about 4 shows per year and we will spend $40 per show in gift certificates. First place receives a $25 gift certificate, second place gets one for $10 and third place receives one for $5. www.discusnada.org

There are, of course, expenses associated with maintaining our internet site such as domain name, webhosting and forum software. This is approximately $200 per year. Finally, there are incidental and administrative expenses that average roughly $150 each year. We also are required to file a tax return each year.

One additional thing that NADA is exploring doing, but hasn't spent any money on, is putting on a discus show in June of 2010. There will be more information on this in the near future.

Elite Aquaria
05-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Jerry,

A pure discus show in 2010....WOW that would be great. Would the contestants be required to have bred and raised their own fish? When I was in the guppy world this was mandatory.

yogi
05-30-2009, 02:40 PM
If we do a show no you won't have to breed and raise your discus to enter it. I don't know a lot about guppies, but I do know they mature a lot faster than discus.

This is from Lisachromis and shows pictures of the NADA plaques we send out. Definitely worth the money you guys spend. Just to show everyone, here's what a NADA plaque looks like:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/lisachromis/Apr2009054.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/lisachromis/Sept2008020small.jpg