PDA

View Full Version : Week 1

wgtaylor
05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
:)They are all healthy & happy !:)

Day one started a little slow until I turned on their lights. That seemed to wake them and trigger their hunger response.
I have two 18 inch lights on their tank. I can use these to slowly wake or put them to bed.
Each morning I turn on one light at the opposite end from the discus and about 10 minutes I turn on the second light.
After about 15 to 20 minutes they are awake and ready to attack any food dropped in the tank.

The first time I put beefheart mix in their tank they devoured it immediately. It took an extra day to get them used to
Hikari pellets and two days to get them eating flake food with a little excitement. I usually like to feed beefheart mix first thing in the morning and
at night then pellets mid day with filling in between flake food. I like watching them with the flake because it floats all around
the tank and they have to hunt for it more which creates a lot of activity in the tank. Just fun watching the little ones competing and
with the flake they all get equal shares, the smallest usually are the fastest. Each feeding is small which they can clean up within 15 minutes or so.

I have been doing 75 percent water changes from day two. They were a little nervous the first day while filling the tank but
get better about it each day. Funny to watch, while filling the tank I can cup my hand around the corner of the tank on the outside and they will all
come to that corner and stick their noses right into my hand for security. Gives me plenty chance to observe each one individually.

They are all doing what young discus should be doing, rushing to the front of the tank begging for food all the time.
It's a wonder they do not have flat noses like bulldog puppies from pressing against the glass.
I would only worry if they were not doing this.
So after observing their subtle differences in color, pattern and sizes a couple have names have come to mind, this is Spot,
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk1-spot.jpg

and this is Whitey
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk1-whitey.jpg

the rest will have to wait until I come up with more ingenious names, I will see who fits, Tubby, Tiny and Meany. :)
Spot, second from left, Whitey, bottom right.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk1-endview.jpg

And the tank shot this week........same b ugly background :):):)
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk1-tankshot.jpg

Bill

Chad Hughes
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Bill,

Looking AWESOME! Good luck to you and keep those updates coming!

Best wishes!

TankWatcher
05-26-2009, 04:26 PM
while filling the tank I can cup my hand around the corner of the tank on the outside and they will all come to that corner and stick their noses right into my hand for security Awww, how cute. Glad they are doing so well.

wgtaylor
05-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Bill,

Looking AWESOME! Good luck to you and keep those updates coming!

Best wishes!

Thanks Chad and the same to you. Al and Kenny have made this pretty easy, they sent us some really healthy discus to work with.

Bill

Awww, how cute. Glad they are doing so well.
Ya Robin, dosn't that just warm your heart ! :D

Bill

calihawker
05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Lookin good Bill!!:D

jerbear
05-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice post and great job.. Thanks for the update..

fishyj
05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Looking good, and good luck to you.

brewmaster15
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Looking Great Bill!!:) Nice crystal clear pics too!

Whats in your Beefheart mix Bill?

-al

Eddie
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow Bill, the fish look fantastic in your care! Doing a killer job.

All the best,

Eddie

Darren's Discus
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Bill,
tank and fish look great !

cheers

Ryan
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Bill, the fish are looking awesome! The reds have really come out for you.

wgtaylor
05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Looking Great Bill!!:) Nice crystal clear pics too!

Whats in your Beefheart mix Bill?

-al
Hi Al,
Thanks for the compliment about the pics, no talent just decent camera. :)
I am keeping things simple, beefheart and 25%-35% shrimp that's all that's in the mix. This batch is closer to 50% shrimp.
I posted a thread on the food I will be feeding for these that is a little more in depth.

Bill

wgtaylor
05-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you all, Jerry, Jim, Eddie, Darren & Ryan, it is good to get those nice compliments. Thanks ! :)

Hey Eddie, I see you caught enough fish recently to feed your discus for the whole year ! :):)

Bill

Scribbles
05-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Looking good! Thanks for the update.

Chris

kirkp
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Bill,
What can I say that hasn't be said already. Fish are looking good, very good. This will be a interesting year ahead of us all. Best of luck with your babies.

Kirk

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Fantastic looking fish/pics Bill. Can't wait to see these babies grow into monsters. Like the way you use the lighting!

Regards
Ahmed ;)