PDA

View Full Version : ABS Plastic

tcyiu
05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but the forum search function does not like short words like ABS.

Is there anything wrong with using ABS plastic in the aquarium?

Thanks,
Tim

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Nothing at all...I have used it several times on different occasions inside the aquarium with no problems long term. Most of the black plastic bulkheads you have on your tanks are made of ABS plastic...

-Ryan

tcyiu
05-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks guys. I can feel more at ease.

I'm drilling an overflow. But instead of drawing water from the top of the water column, I want the water to come from the floor. So in front of the bulkhead, I am erecting a "column" with intake grills at the bottom. After looking at various options, I found that Home Depot sells a 2 ft length of a large ABS pipe (3 in diam) for $5. I plan on slicing lengthwise and making this the column. The bulkhead is a little bit more than 2.5inches. So this column is wide enough to span the bulkhead.

By the way, so as not to make this a permanent fixture, I plan on using silicone. Since this will not be a structural element, I think I'll be safe. In the worst case if it falls down, the water will still evacuate through a pre-filter and then through the overflow.

Thanks again. If I don't make a mess of things, I'll post pics.

Tim

Oh. Another question. I am going to attach some regular white PVC to an ABS. I will not glue them because the intent is for the pieces to held only by friction. My question relates to painting the white PVC. Can I use black acrylic paint as long as it completely cures? How well does acrylic hold to PVC?

Thanks.

Tim

kirkp
05-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Tim,

I would think that you would want to use some type of epoxy instead. Just my thought and hopefully someone out there has some working experience.

Kirk

tcyiu
05-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Tim is it possible for the pipe thats drawing from the bottom to create a siphon....not a good thing.

I agree, that would be bad.

The half pipe will have a cutout for overflow purposes in case the bottom slits get clogged by sand. In addition, it will be positioned directly underneath one of the original round holes in the top panel. I plan on using this round hole to siphon out detritus that will collect at the bottom of the half pipe.

So the upshot is, there will be a couple of air breaks that prevent any siphoning.

I'm still working out the mechanics of how to safely slice the 3" pipe in half with my table saw. And how to cut the slits I'll need at the bottom.

Tim

Chad Hughes
05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Make sure you use a really fine toothed blade as well.

Best wishes!

tcyiu
05-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Check. I have the plywood/plastic blade for the table saw.

I like the carriage idea for cutting the pipe.

BTW, somewhat off topic, I finally got around to buying the fixtures I need to plumb the overflow. Not including the bulkheads which I already have, the elbows and connectors cost over $30 !!! And the hose and stainless hose clamps was another $30.

Man! The plumbing cost more than the tank which I got used for $60.

Tim

tcyiu
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
:p :p :p

We have a sickness.

Consigliere
05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Wait until you build a setup that costs you $100 in ball valves alone.

Chad Hughes
05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Holy crap!

Have you checked out PVC? I use it on all my tanks and I can't say that I have ever paid too much for ball valves, clamps, fittings, etc. I do know that the bulkhead fittings are about $7 a piece. How big are your fittings? You may need financing! LOL!

Best wishes!

tcyiu
05-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Apologizing in advance, but I can't help imagining our friend "Consigliere" whipping out a wad of hundreds, pulls out one bill and buys a pallet of ball joints which "fell off a truck somewhere in New Jersey."

Forgive me.

:D

Consigliere
05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Ha not quite so shaddy. Just a HD card and 8 1.5"ers.