PDA

View Full Version : One or two filters?

Silver One
05-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi All,
Is it better to have one large canister filter for my new 6'x2'x2' planted discus community tank or two smaller ones?

Many Kindly Fishy Regards
Jason

DonMD
05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I use two canister filters for my 90 gallon, in case one breaks the other one hopefully will manage the bio-load until I can fix the broken one.

Chad Hughes
05-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I definately like to use two, but I like to have two different types. I prefer an overrated (GPH) canister and a wet dry. If you are using CO2, you may go trougha bit more gas depending on your wet/dry turnover. HTH!

Best wishes!

rickztahone
05-28-2009, 06:06 PM
if you must do one then i would say an FX5. ive heard really good things about that filter. when i was asking the same question for my 125 the general consensus was to do 2 filters which is what i did. i went with 2 xp3 and i dont regret it one bit

Eddie
05-28-2009, 07:32 PM

tcyiu
05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Another vote for 2 if you're willing to spend the up-front cost and the long term operational cost.

Another consideration: you can tear one down for a deep cleaning while the other one is up and running.

Tim

Chad Hughes
05-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Honestly I think there are far too many MORE reasons to go with two than one. IMO two is a win win.

Best wishes!

pinkjello
05-29-2009, 01:38 AM
2 :)

erikc
05-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Without hesitation 2 :D :D ...... or maybe 3 ;)

KDodds
05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Two, for a number of reasons. It's a long tank. Anything 4' and over with a single intake, I prefer at least two canisters. This helps pull out more detritus and such and allows for better "mixing" and less potential for dead spots, so overall a better functioning system than a single canister. I prefer both to be the same make and model. In case one fails, it's likely the other will be fine. And, you only have to buy parts and media for a single brand, meaning you can keep better control of your stock. Parts from one can be used in the other, should both fail simultaneously (I've had this happen with Eheim 2028s within a week of one another). With two, you will be virtually guaranteed to have at least one running should a filter fail. With two filters, as well, you can be more comfortable cleaning one at a time. You can usually clean one completely to the point of replacing all media and not have a problem (in a reasonably stocked tank). The list goes on... definitely better to have two.

poconogal
05-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Two, for all the reasons already stated. :)

jeff@zina.com
05-29-2009, 12:45 PM
My reason for 2 has nothing to do with fail-safe or size considerations or anything. I'm a lot more practical. When I clean filters, I clean 1 this time and the other next time. Can't destroy the bacteria this way and cause a new cycle in the tank. Doesn't matter to me if it's sponge filters in a 10 gallon or canisters in a 180, same principle.

Jeff