PDA

View Full Version : Please Advice!

leonilli
05-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi All,

My issue is following:
I set up my new tank for 6 discus 2 weeks ago. First week water was very cloudy I sought that it will never be clear and put in tank 6 discus. After two weeks water color is same as it was one week ago, nothing changed, only Today, I discovered that guy who helped me by mistake filled tank with hot water, please advice me what to do in this situation? :confused:

mmorris
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I can't see that hot water would have made any difference. Additional information would be useful. Did the water come out of the tap cloudy? How big is the tank? What is your water change regime? Are you using pre-heated, treated, aged water? What are you using to treat your water? How are you filtering it? Does the tank have a substrate? I'm sure I'll have more questions but that should get us started.

mmorris
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome to Simply, by the way. :D

Eddie
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Was the filter cycled before you put the fish in?

Eddie

leonilli
05-30-2009, 02:28 AM
I can't see that hot water would have made any difference. Additional information would be useful. I'm sure I'll have more questions but that should get us started.

Hello and Thank you for replay and greeting! :)

Q: Did the water come out of the tap cloudy?

A: No, water from the tap came clear.

Q: How big is the tank?

A: 118 G

Q: What is your water change regime?

A: I am changing water in 2 days, 20%.

Q: Are you using pre-heated, treated, aged water?

A: I am using aged, treated water not pre-heated.

Q: What are you using to treat your water?

A: I am using Tetra Aquasafe and EasyBalance

Q: How are you filtering it?

A: I filter it with external Aquael Filter Unimax Professional FZKN 500

Q: Does the tank have a substrate?

A: Yes

Thanks In Advance

leonilli
05-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Was the filter cycled before you put the fish in?

Eddie

Hello,

What do you mean under filter cycle? If it was switched before I put fish in? If so yes, it was switched for one week before I put fish in.

Thanx

Dutch dude
05-30-2009, 03:36 AM
When the tanks is filled straight from the tap it can happen the water is cloudy becouse of small air bubbles. The air bubbles origin is from heating the water in the boiler. Air will no longer be dissolved and change in to little bubbles just like when you boil water on the furnace. An other reason can be the hose not fitting well so air will be pulled in, dissolves and create lots of micro bubbles. In both circumstances the water looks whitish and will be cleared up withing 2 to 4 hours.

Cloudiness can appear from not well rinsed sand or gravel and can be coused by chemicals like slime coat improvers and all the expensive stuff you realy don't need. Only useful chemical is stuff that binds chlorine's like the aquasave.

Your situation sounds diferent and first thing that comes to mind is a bacterial bloom. The tank a fairly new and probably still in the middle of cycling. When there is enough nutrition in the water and tank a bacterial bloom can occur in certain circumstances.

Treatment for bacterial bloom is easy but will take a while. I have had poor results with increasing water changes and this made the situation worse. I have had best results with very fine filter pads and leaving the tank alone. The only problem is you already have discus in there. So I'm not sure how to treat the bloom in a discus tank. I probably would keep on doing what you do right now, feed only small amounts and get liquid bacteria to fill in the gaps. The bloom is most likely one specie of bacteria that thrive extremely well in the curent circumstances. Don't be to worried becouse the bloom will end sooner or later and is part of the cycling. Pleas don't add chemicals to treat a bloom becouse those are often the couse of a lot of troubles. Aquasave is OK and stuff that should be positive for the slime coat is often a couse of a lot of troubles.

Roxanne
05-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Do you have a freshwater test kit? If you do, can you post the results here? If you don't, you are going to need one...

Roxanne

Eddie
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Hello and Thank you for replay and greeting! :)

Q: Did the water come out of the tap cloudy?

A: No, water from the tap came clear.

Q: How big is the tank?

A: 118 G

Q: What is your water change regime?

A: I am changing water in 2 days, 20%.

Q: Are you using pre-heated, treated, aged water?

A: I am using aged, treated water not pre-heated.

Q: What are you using to treat your water?

A: I am using Tetra Aquasafe and EasyBalance

Q: How are you filtering it?

A: I filter it with external Aquael Filter Unimax Professional FZKN 500

Q: Does the tank have a substrate?

A: Yes

Thanks In Advance

Also, there is no need to use Easy Balance in a discus tank. Probably not any tank really IMO.

Eddie

discusjoe27
06-01-2009, 05:41 AM
tetra aquasafe? I use to use that stuff before I had discus. I had it my moster tank 300, it was no good. I'm not saying don't use it because it might work for you. but I would just like to so-jest. chloram-x, or prime. very good stuff,
and worth the money.