PDA

View Full Version : New setup. Footprint and Filtration?

shoggoth43
05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
I should be removing the 45 I have going now for my Discus in the near future.

I'm not sure if I'm going with the 48x18" footprint of a 75/90 or the 48x24" footprint of one of the 120/150 tanks. I also see there's a 72x18" footprint for the 120gallon as well. Given that I've got the room for any of those, but probably not for a 72x24" since I do actually have to walk around the tank from time to time and I'll need to get to the light switches, can anyone give me some pros/cons on the footprints? The tanks are currently on the concrete slab so height is not really a factor here.

I've got an Eheim 2028 right now and I'll definitely be getting something else to go with it. I can either go with another of the Eheim 2028 units as it comes with the media and has a relatively decent cost. My other thought was one of their monster Pro3 units, possibly with the heating elements built in. A major drawback to this is the cost and the fact that the media does not come with it. I've been fairly happy with the Eheim so I have no real reason to switch brands other than cost. Some of the other brands do have more flow but the Eheim 2260 model could have a pump swap for some brutally high flow. I supposed I could do something similar for the 2180 model as well. I DO like that the main prefilter on the 2180 is actually on top of the filter so it's easy to get to for maintenance.

I just had my other German Ram die for unknown reasons. I'm beginning to suspect the water company has been adding some stuff without telling us. I've asked for a water quality report but I have no idea what I'm going to find. To that end, I'm thinking of RO filtration or at least some sort of water filtration before I add any of it to the tank. I've heard a carbon block will deal with chlorine in the water, but does this work for chloramine at all? Any recommendations on an RO system or any other options I could try?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

-
S

plecocicho
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
The alrger the footprint of the tank, the better. It provides larger surface, important for the exchage of gases and larger swimming place. I would go for the largest footprint possible. Eheims are reliable workhorses and pro3 are real monsters. You could get that beast instead of your 2028. or you couple two same filter types. Normally all ro are good enough, from no name to rowa or such. I think that in thread about other water conditioners tahn prime it is alink to the article which staes that activated carbon helps to catalyse chloramines and chlorine binds to it.

Harriett
06-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with the advice you are getting here. Just remember the 'shrinkage phenomena' being that no matter how big that tank looks when you first get it, in 6 months you will be thinking it isn't big enough and you'd like a bigger aquarium for those prize discus....comes with the territory! Oh, and the other thing? I advise always trying to Overfilter!
Best regards,
Harriett

frenchie100
06-03-2009, 03:25 AM
I agree with the advice you are getting here. Just remember the 'shrinkage phenomena' being that no matter how big that tank looks when you first get it, in 6 months you will be thinking it isn't big enough and you'd like a bigger aquarium for those prize discus....comes with the territory! Oh, and the other thing? I advise always trying to Overfilter!
Best regards,
Harriett

Oh my gosh! I am totally going through that right now! My 100 gallon looks too small for my 7 discus!! Didn't know it had a name! LOL

Go BIG!! LOL

-Julie :)

rickztahone
06-03-2009, 03:34 AM
i have a 125 and i love the footprint. the 18" from front to back is great because it's not too tight from a side-ways view. the discus love the 72" length as well. it's not too high either which i think the other footprints you mentioned might be too tall. you would have to invest in better lighting to reach the bottom if you plan on doing a planted tank. my tank height is like 22" or so. just make sure you get good filtration in the tank and i might add that the hydor heaters work really well with canister filters. the only negative's i have are in regards to growing out discus. it is such a big footprint that doing water changes does get involved and also it gives the discus reason to hide at times because they get intimidated. the easy remedy for this is getting more discus which is not a bad thing but you would have to get rid of some later down the line or set up another tank. if i could go back i would just keep my 6 discus in my 55g to grown them out and keep the 125 for display when they become adults. HTH

shoggoth43
06-03-2009, 08:07 AM
24" deep x 24" wide is about the max I can do without getting my shoulder wet or needing a snorkel. I keep having doubts about the cannister idea and maybe just going back to a wet/dry sump is an option. I've written off the 2080/2180 as they just don't give me enough bang for the buck when two 2028 units cost less, come with media, and will actually give me slightly more flow but have the same amount of media and give me some redundancy. I do keep looking at the hydor heaters and wonder about them.

Has anyone used the Ocean Clear 354 Bead Filter? I hear some interesting things about bead filters and I like the idea of a quick backflush for maintenance. It seems like something I could do daily with minimal fuss.

-
S

Jhhnn
06-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Do yourself a favor and set up any new tank on a proper stand. It's a lot more pleasurable for you, all the way around, and fish in low tanks tend to be shy and spook easily.

The 18" front to back tanks are nice, with good turning room for the fish, and are a lot better priced than the 24" tanks of the same capacity. The bottom glass on the 24" tanks has to be thicker, to support the weight across the larger span...

shoggoth43
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I always had issues with the 18" just not seeming to be deep enough. I will definitely be going with at LEAST 18" as the 12-13" just seemed far too tight.

-
S

joe l
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
24 inches high is the way to go.