PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Soh Books

hedut
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Andrew Soh,

Thanks for the books, I receive them to day. I don't know will be that fast :D:D:D. I will be enjoy them.

Thanks

hendri

Eddie
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Andrew Soh,

Thanks for the books, I receive them to day. I don't know will be that fast :D:D:D. I will be enjoy them.

Thanks

hendri

Its a great read Hendri, havent finished the book yet but I'm enjoying it so far! Definitely a great purchase!

Thanks Andrew

Eddie

seanyuki
06-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I only half way thru Andrew's first book.....getting old and hard to mermorize readings:D......It's a great book and highly recomended.

Cheers
Francis:)

Ps

Finshied the first book and started the second book.....took some really good advice from the first book

seanyuki
06-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Eddie

Young guys like you should finish the book in 1 day:p

I just started the second book today :pso I am behind you lah:D

Cheers

Its a great read Hendri, havent finished the book yet but I'm enjoying it so far! Definitely a great purchase!

Thanks Andrew

Eddie

Eddie
06-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Eddie

Young guys like you should finish the book in 1 day:p

I just started the second book today :pso I am behind you lah:D

Cheers

No no, not me Francis, I am not a big reader but once I open the book, I usually can't stop. It just so happens I did a flip through the book one evening before bed and actually started to read the first bit. I was too tired so I stopped. Next time I start on it again, I will finish it. ;)

I'm not that young :D

Take care my friend,

Eddie

killimaniaco
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Hello:

I am new around here, where can I get more information or actually get the book?

regards,

Pablo
Ponce, Puerto Rico

hedut
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello:

I am new around here, where can I get more information or actually get the book?

regards,

Pablo
Ponce, Puerto Rico

Hi Pablo , welcome to SD. you can contact direct to Andrew Soh or Yogi doing group book order from him you can contact Yogi here link

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71656&highlight=andrew

hendri

killimaniaco
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks Hendri!

killimaniaco
06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
I do not mean to sound ignorant... but what makes this book worth $70? I am used to pay that and even a lot more for college textbooks. Not so for hobby oriented books.

Can someone give me a short review of the book? I am very inclined to buy it, it seems like the reference a discus newbie like me can put to good use.

I have breed and kept many species of fish for the past 15 years. I just got into discus a month ago. I keep mostly killies.

Thanks!
Pablo

steve.ryall
06-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Andrew Soh is one of a very few people who can be called a Discus Guru. His books reflect many many years of his experience in keeping Discus and for anyone who has read his books, will say that they set a benchmark for beginners and experts alike.
Andrew does not try to confuse using complicated text, but explains all the subjects in his books so we can all understand them. There are not many books out there that will afford you the confidence to understand these beautiful fish, but Andrew has grasped the essence of what we need to know and published both books (Discus, The Naked Truth & just released, Problems & Solutions) so we can further understand and appreciate healthy happy fish.

Are they worth the money???????? Absolutely!!

hedut
06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Sorry to say this, It's more than worthed why? cause I need guide to help me for my hobby(Discus) not a cheap thing and I don't buy cheap not all people will help you right the way like 911:p so at least you need some basic knowledge that can help you with, Discus not so easy but the lovely and beautiful:D:D:D

hendri

seanyuki
06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Tai Kor Andrew,

I have already finished your first book and just started the second lah....I am totally grateful all the hard work you been through in making the first book a success.....even getting salt water by shore line yourself for the brine shrimp hatchery...lal....next time let me do it for you bro.

Cheers

Andrew Soh
06-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments.....and am indeed happy that you all enjoyed it.

Being not a full-time writer, I was so worried about the style of writing..... how I could bring the concepts across to readers in the most uncomplicated way (Don't want it to be a scientific journal which is hard to understand by general hobbyists...to the extend of being boring), ensuring that both the beginners and the profeesionals are able to gain from reading it, information that may crack open the nuts and truth be found..... and hopefully, knowledge that will stay relevant for years to come.....saving as many discus as possible.... and help readers to pursue to a higher level in the discus hobby.....creating your own designer discus

That's is my dream........

even getting salt water by shore line yourself for the brine shrimp hatchery...lal....next time let me do it for you bro.

Not enough money to employ an actor, Francis....so that was the cheapest option.....self-production, self-script writer and actor.

In fact, I want to ask for pardon if you guys find typo errors and grammer mistakes in my books. I never used a proof-reader or the books being proof-read by others.

For the first discus book, almost everthing from writing, drawings, color-selection were done by me and page arrangement was done by my sub-standard printing company and majority of the photos were taken by my paid-Taiwan photographer....nothing is for free:(.....

As for my second book, Problems and Solutions, book design, writing, editing, color-selection, page arrangements, 99% of all photographs, computerised-drawings and proof-reading were all done by myself......too poor a man to employ outsiders....ha!ha!ha!

Therefore, there are bound to have mistakes....(author's blind-spot) ....:antlers:

Thanks for your forgiveness and enjoy the read,
Andrew:angel:

killimaniaco
06-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys... definitively I must get it then. Will be my end of semester gift :-)

Eddie
06-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments.....and am indeed happy that you all enjoyed it.

Being not a full-time writer, I was so worried about the style of writing..... how I could bring the concepts across to readers in the most uncomplicated way (Don't want it to be a scientific journal which is hard to understand by general hobbyists...to the extend of being boring), ensuring that both the beginners and the profeesionals are able to gain from reading it, information that may crack open the nuts and truth be found..... and hopefully, knowledge that will stay relevant for years to come.....saving as many discus as possible.... and help readers to pursue to a higher level in the discus hobby.....creating your own designer discus

That's is my dream........

Not enough money to employ an actor, Francis....so that was the cheapest option.....self-production, self-script writer and actor.

In fact, I want to ask for pardon if you guys find typo errors and grammer mistakes in my books. I never used a proof-reader or the books being proof-read by others.

For the first discus book, almost everthing from writing, drawings, color-selection were done by me and page arrangement was done by my sub-standard printing company and majority of the photos were taken by my paid-Taiwan photographer....nothing is for free:(.....

As for my second book, Problems and Solutions, book design, writing, editing, color-selection, page arrangements, 99% of all photographs, computerised-drawings and proof-reading were all done by myself......too poor a man to employ outsiders....ha!ha!ha!

Therefore, there are bound to have mistakes....(author's blind-spot) ....:antlers:

Thanks for your forgiveness and enjoy the read,

Outstanding work Andrew, really amazing, especially doing it all on your own. So when is the next one coming out! :D

Take care my friend,

Eddie

Andrew Soh
06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Eddie,

I do have an intention to write an Ornamental fish import and export handbook. How to prepare for export and quarantine. The book will also cover a topic on catching wild fishes plus wild quarantine....which of course I will personally relay my experience with lots of pictures to support.

But after serious consideration, I think I will give up the idea or KIV the idea. Reason being......how many exporters are there in the world.....how many existing and how many would-be?

Maybe a few hundreds....and not all understand English and not all that understand English will buy....just like discus book. In mathematical calculation, maybe less than a hundred would buy. And if the book comprises of 300 pages, how should I price it? Is it viable to proceed and print? I am sure to make a huge loss.....into tens of thousands...if I do.

So maybe other types of book....;)

Regards,

Eddie
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Eddie,

I do have an intention to write an Ornamental fish import and export handbook. How to prepare for export and quarantine. The book will also cover a topic on catching wild fishes plus wild quarantine....which of course I will personally relay my experience with lots of pictures to support.

But after serious consideration, I think I will give up the idea or KIV the idea. Reason being......how many exporters are there in the world.....how many existing and how many would-be?

Maybe a few hundreds....and not all understand English and not all that understand English will buy....just like discus book. In mathematical calculation, maybe less than a hundred would buy. And if the book comprises of 300 pages, how should I price it? Is it viable to proceed and print? I am sure to make a huge loss.....into tens of thousands...if I do.

So maybe other types of book....;)

Regards,

Well Andrew, there is still plenty of time to decide and we will always be learning. Thank you for enormous contribution is writing the 2 books, they are must have for everyone with an interest in discus.

Take care and thanks again for the P-G and P-M,

Eddie

seanyuki
06-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey Eddie,

When are u gonna use the P-G & P-M.:)...mine should arrive next week lah..:D

Cheers

Well Andrew, there is still plenty of time to decide and we will always be learning. Thank you for enormous contribution is writing the 2 books, they are must have for everyone with an interest in discus.

Take care and thanks again for the P-G and P-M,

Eddie

Eddie
06-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey Eddie,

When are u gonna use the P-G & P-M.:)...mine should arrive next week lah..:D

Cheers

Hey Francis, just started the P-G last week but I need to fast my fish this week. I am off to the Philippines for 2 weeks and the fish will be fed only flake once a day while I am gone. ;)

I'll let you know when I get back and restart. ;)

Take care my friend,

Eddie

Andrew Soh
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Eddie,

You could ask your family to soak the tetra-bits or flakes in a solution of P, products for 15 minutes and after that, seeve and keep the balance solution in the fridge for the next round and feed the dried food.....not too much though....

Eddie
06-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Eddie,

You could ask your family to soak the tetra-bits or flakes in a solution of P, products for 15 minutes and after that, seeve and keep the balance solution in the fridge for the next round and feed the dried food.....not too much though....

Great tip Andrew! Thanks

Eddie

Andrew Soh
06-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Have a fruitful trip my friend.

Never neglect your aquatic pets......the discus....:D

Regards,

Eddie
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Have a fruitful trip my friend.

Never neglect your aquatic pets......the discus....:D

Regards,

Oh no Andrew, my discus are babied 100% of the time! ;)

Thanks for wishing me a nice trip,

Eddie

MSD
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Got the book Francis in perfect condition and I am reading it now. Whats up with the nuclear stuff and discus mutations near the beginning? I was sleepy when I started so I may have misread that?

seanyuki
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Mark,

The Hybrids are crossed with original wild discus,brown,blue,green & Heckel....are you talking about that part......glad to hear the book arrived in perfect condition....enjoy the book.

Cheers

Got the book Francis in perfect condition and I am reading it now. Whats up with the nuclear stuff and discus mutations near the beginning? I was sleepy when I started so I may have misread that?

Andrew Soh
06-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Mark must be talking about the introduction. That chapter discusses the origin of mutants. It is my hypothesis...and not a fact....

Practically most of the mutants were spontaneously sprouted from Thailand though some may finally sprout in other parts of Malaysia.....page 10...and is an established fact the nuclear waste and radiation can mutate animals and my question was "Could the mutants be created through......"

Thank you,

Andrew Soh
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Francis,

I will be leaving early tomorrow morning...Singapore time.

Call me and arrange our meet:)

Take care,

MSD
06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Andrew, I really like the quality of the book and so far the part I have read. Great production value and wonderful pictures. Thanks for your hard earned information.

Andrew Soh
06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you Mark. You are welcome.

In this internet world, it would be a pity if authors do not interact with readers.

I enjoy it...A book published now.....should lead to interaction for life!

Take care,

seanyuki
06-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Andrew,

Will call U today.

Cheers

Francis,

I will be leaving early tomorrow morning...Singapore time.

Call me and arrange our meet:)

Take care,

MSD
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Francis, you little name dropper. Hahahaha

seanyuki
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Mark,

Meeting up with Andrew/Dick Au...for some private lessons:p

Cheers

QUOTE=MSD;543412]Francis, you little name dropper. Hahahaha[/QUOTE]

Andrew Soh
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Francis,

Don't have to call me now. Call me in a day's time....11th June afternoon...US time.

Talk later,
Andrew

steve.ryall
06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Enjoy your trip best buddy. I hope you have a great time.

Speak soon

Steve :wave:

rickztahone
06-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Andrew, i really love the disection part of your book, really informative. there is such vital information in that book so far that i think every SD member should at one point pick one up. also, where can we purchase the pro-growth? i have not finished the book which it might indicate later where to purchase but i do not want to skip ahead :p. thanks again for the copy

Andrew Soh
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Ricardo,

Thanks for buying my books. All the products from me...you can get it from Francis or April in due time.....for all US and Canada members.

Enjoy the read.
Andrew :angel:

Andrew Soh
06-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I am now in Palo Alto, States.

Thanks Ricardo....and enjoy your read.....and ask questions if you have doubts.

Take care and thanks Steve,

April
06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
hope you guys are having fun..without me. im in canada getting my new shop ready for all our new suppliers.
thanks Andrew cant wait.

Andrew Soh
06-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes April.....all the best in your venture.

Honestly, I don't have Francis's phone number. Can you ask him to sms to my personal phone?

Take care,

April
06-13-2009, 03:19 PM
i cant find it either. i have his old one before he lost his phone. ill work on it.

Andrew Soh
06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks, I got him.

Andrew

terps
10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Found this article on BIDKA.

http://forum.bidka.org/showthread.php?t=1911

seanyuki
10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
The Naked Truth, Discus Problems and Solutions by Andrew Soh are great reference books for novice to experts...April Ross our sponsor here has them for sale.:)

boonseong
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
sean, from all the lah's I take it your are from Malaysia/Singapore?
Made me laugh for a bit, haven't seen that for a while now

uberdave
11-23-2010, 06:58 PM
anyone in toronto has a copy that i can borrow? when i say borrow, i mean rent :)

roses4lavanya@gmail.com
10-13-2018, 10:25 PM
if you still have the book (Discus: problems and solutions), can you lend/sell it to me? i will pay you for that. i want that book.