PDA

View Full Version : Heckels with a tank move.

wannafish
06-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello to you all!

I am wanting to move my Heckel tank to another room.
It's a 60 gallon with 6 Heckels. I have mentioned before
here that they are very shy still and really don't like to
swim much. But when they come out for food they
ske-daddle all over the place. They are getting use to
my feeding regime and starting to explore a little more.
The tank is located behind a bar against the wall. It is
in a quiet corner and shadowed. I think they like it there.
The room I am moving it too is also shadowed. The
location of the tank in this room would be close next
to me at my desk while I work on the computer.
There is an overhead light on. Question. Would this
new location create a bit of stress for the Heckels,
and how long would it take for them to settle in
the new spot. Do Heckels like people up close to
them. I have noticed that they react to the slightest
change in noise and lighting when out near the
bar. I don't know if they will like this new spot.

Eddie
06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Well, I tell you.... I am far from a Heckel expert. I can only say that I have owned a few over the past 9 months or so, 2 of which I removed and sold and 1 that I still have. The fish is housed with a bunch of hybrids and happy as a hippo. Now I have moved all my fish (20 give or take) around between 5 or 6 tanks in that period of nine months. The fish are all still the same, same personalities, nothing different. If I could insist that you move your fish how you want them, that is the best option. Move them where you want, watch them how you want and do whatever is you want to do around them. The fish need to get used to you doing your thing. Don't get used to them doing their thing. If you treat them as breakable, they will be breakable. Move your tank my friend, you'll be alot happier and they will get used to it.

Take care and just giving my 2 cents,

Eddie

William Palumbo
06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Eddie is correct. You have to be comfortable moving around your fish and doing day to day movements. Don't tip-toe or creep around them, I found that can make it worse! The move may help or not. You will have to see. Seems like it can't get worse. Heckels for me have always been outgoing, even eating from my hands. Try putting some dither fish in with them like some of the Tetras...Quarantined first. Tank height, lighting, aquascaping, can all have a role in making your fish jumpy. It could be one of those factors, or a combination of more than one...Bill

erikc
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Moving them near to you where you are working and where they will get more used to you is probably a good idea.

There are many reasons why they are skittish (water, light, illness etc.) but choosing the correct emplacement for them is very important. One of the best locations is where they can actually see the door open and the person coming in. Believe it or not but this one really works. You'd be surprised.

Also be careful when you put the decor in the tank, you want them to feel secure (of course) but place it in such a way that you can always see them.
Don't make perfect cavelike structures where you don't see them if they don't want to come out.

Another way is to do like Eddie, change 100% of the water every time they eat, but you better be ready to make a helluva lot of RO water ;)

wannafish
06-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Hi! Guys!

Thanks for the two cents and change!
Your probably right. Make them know
who the Master of the house is.

jeff

Apistomaster
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I agree with all of the above posters.
Heckels seem to be happier in an open spaces layout, sandy bottom tank with only a few pieces of tall wood too narrow to actually hide behind.

The more time you can spend around them the less shy they will be.