PDA

View Full Version : New Oceanic 125g tank - what light fixtures?

DonMD
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I am upgrading my 90 gallon to a 125 gallon with Oceanic stand and canopy.

The problem is how to handle the lighting. I don't think the old 48 inch fixture will provide enough light.

I have three old 36 inch fixtures, but two of them are too tall, and they wouldn't fit end to end anyway. The other fixture is no good.

How do you handle lighting for an Oceanic 72 inch canopy? The new tank will have sand substrate with iron wood and rock, no plants.

Thanks! -Don

Chad Hughes
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Don,

I have a 72" light fixture on my 150. It's a MH/CF combo. I don't use the MH too much. I actually built brackets inside the lid to hold the light fixture. In total, it's 1200 watts of light (MH+CF). I typically just use 400 watts of CF (96X4).

You could go that route or just attache the CF parts to the lid of your new canopy.

Just some thoughts.

Best wishes!

DonMD
06-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Chad,

I don't think I'll go with Metal Halide since the tank won't be planted, but I never thought of attaching the compact flourescent lights directly to the inside top of the hood . . . I'll have to think about that.

If I did that, should I try to find 72 inch lamps? Do they even make them? Very interesting idea . . . Or I could put 4 36 inch lamps, too, I guess. Hmmm.:book:

DiscusOnly
06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
You can try 2 of these.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209384/product.web

They are not going to be adequate for planted tank but they are low profile. They don't make a 72" so you will need two 36"

Chad Hughes
06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Chad,

I don't think I'll go with Metal Halide since the tank won't be planted, but I never thought of attaching the compact flourescent lights directly to the inside top of the hood . . . I'll have to think about that.

If I did that, should I try to find 72 inch lamps? Do they even make them? Very interesting idea . . . Or I could put 4 36 inch lamps, too, I guess. Hmmm.:book:

Don,

The nice thing about attaching to the top of the lid is that you can pick any size configuration that you want, especially if you have odd ball sizes lyiing about. You can also fit some nice LED night lights for a deep sea effect at night.

Another nice thing is that the light is not in your way if you want to acess the top of the tank, it's removed when you open the lid.

Honestly, if you wanted to go with the 72" light I would measure the inside dimention of the lid to see if it will fit.

Best wishes!

DonMD
06-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks Vlam and Chad. Good ideas, gave me some ideas to follow up. -Don

zn394
06-05-2009, 01:01 PM
If you have 2 36" lights, or 2 48", just stagger them if they don't fit end to end. I butchered a 72" Aqualight so I could attach the lighting directly to my canopy. Not too difficult to do if you're the least bit handy.

DonMD
06-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Jeff, I thought of that, staggering the lights. Right now I'm trying to decide if I'll just get 2 36-inch double 5T fixtures from a local hardware store (these usually don't have the polished reflective material), or go with what vlam mentioned, that probably do have the reflective pieces.

But one thing is for sure: The furniture cost more that the tank, so I'm not going to be using a sawzall on it! -Don (aka 2 left thumbs)

DiscusOnly
06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Don,

The lights I recommended was on sale for 50% off at a lot of the stores not too long ago. Look around, they may still be on sale. I remember picking up the single T5 48" for less than $25 each no too long ago.

The cheapest option may be getting a kit and do a custom ligh onto the hood or customizing a home depot T8 shop light.

Van

machine77
06-05-2009, 08:18 PM
i have a 125g with a jbj 4x96, 48inch watt power compact set up, 2 10,000k and 2 5600 natural light, its very bright, actually to bright, i eventually started running 2 out of the 4 lights, both being the 10,000 k and it looks great, my plants grow fine. there was really no need to buy 4x96.. rookie mistake! lol hope that helped you out! also, it was easy to install!