PDA

View Full Version : Discus trouble

marfa59
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Ive got 6 juvie discus in a 75 gal tank. Tank is completely cycled and all water perimeters are pefect. Two of the them won't let one of them get out from behind the plants. Everytime it tries to come out one of them chases it back. I am worried that it will not be able to eat and get stressed out. They all have been in the tank for about a week and a half. I got them all at the same time. Is there anything I can do or will they just have to work it out?
Thanks
Connie

Ardan
06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
sometimes they will adjust on there own, or put food in several places at the same time. If this continues and the fish does not do well, then you may have to move it to its own tank until it gets big and can fight back:D
Seems as usually there is one that is the underdog.

hope they get along:)

hth
Ardan

DavidH
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Pecking orders......Probably came from a tank of dozens and dozens. 75 is huge for 6 juvies

1. add more fish, balancing the equation
2. get rid of the fish when it shows the first signs of disease, cull weakness, or end up with disease
3. split em up with some egg crate, so little man can eat, easiest solution ;) but lone fish tend to get sick 2, isolationism is rarely a workable solution in my experience with the average hobbyist

4.....watch the aggressors, they may be the problem

shoggoth43
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
If it's just one major aggressor, maybe you can cage him off. Or put him in a net for a little bit to allow the others time to eat. A sort of "penalty box" if you will. I've noticed my bully is much less obnoxious when he's full so that might help too. Sometimes you can get right up to the glass and stare them down, but that tends to freak all of mine out and not just the bully.

-
S

Bripie
06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I would try to take everything out of the tank, barebottom then they'll start to school again use a smaller tank or add more Discus of the same size.I feed my babies 5 to 8 times a day I would w/c 50% daily min. I usually do this morning and night

Patr1ck
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I had to put the bully in a net hanging from the top of the water when he got out of hand. It usually happened after feeding time for me. I put him in there for time out, then would let him out later. As they all grew and became accostomed to their tank and each other he toned his dominance way way down. It was a pita like babysitting to keep the peace, but it was worth it. Maybe take the bullies out of that tank for a while, let the others establish themselves, then re-introduce the bullies.

Hth
Pat