PDA

View Full Version : Week 3

wgtaylor
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Ok, these discus have been here only three weeks today but......I can see some noticeable growth, for sure,.....I think. :)
Not sure if I will get that one inch per month growth for the next few months but will give it my best shot. :D

I am still feeding beefheart/shrimp mix twice per day and flake two to three times with pellets once at midday. This seems to be good to keep their bellies full most of the day.
I still like feeding the flake food because it gives all six babies equal chance to get their fill. The flake spreads about the tank there is much less aggression to compete for the food and hoping it may help keep the size differences closer.

Their water changes have been constant seventy percent per day and just siphon the bottom before lights off at night.
All sides, bottom of tank, air lines and any surfaces in the tank are wiped down every other day to remove the slime coat that develops. This only takes a couple minutes before the water change and has been believed by some to remove growth inhibitors excreted. Parasite levels are kept under control by doing this and just a simple thing to do.

The water parameters have stayed the same, 65 microseimens, 30 parts per million, ph 6.5 with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia. The nitrates stay less than 5 ppm because of the large water changes.

These babies are a cross between golden albino and spotted albino. I'm not sure what type of spotted albino the cross is but some seem to be developing more color and spots and anxious to see how they look when they mature.
I have enjoyed everyday with these guys. :)

Bill

55 gal tank shot, please excuse all the window reflections !
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/tank-wk3.jpg

Just a few spots
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk3-1.jpg

More spots developing
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk3-2.jpg

Another with spots
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/wgtaylor/Simply%20Discus%20Contest%202009/wk3-3.jpg

Eddie
06-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Bill, looking really good. They are spotting and definitely growing well! Very nice work.

All the best,

Eddie

Scribbles
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
They look good. I like the patterns that they're developing.

Chris

wgtaylor
06-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks Chris and Eddie,
I am just trying to keep everything just as simple and uncomplicated as possible with this group. Just the basic good foods and plenty of water changes, that's pretty much all that it takes. :)

Bill

MRQuad
06-10-2009, 12:45 AM
hi bill,

they are doing great on you.. keep up the good work!

marvin

Marywouters
06-10-2009, 02:08 AM
They are looking very good. I like the spotted ones.
Keep up the good work.

Mary

rickztahone
06-10-2009, 02:46 AM
really like the tank, and the fish look great

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Bill, WoW, awsome shots, growing extrmely well. Keep up the good work! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

calihawker
06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Dude, that first picture's awesome.:D Nice job!

fishyj
06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Bill, I really like the first picture also. Mine will only pick at the flake foods but they really like everything else.

wgtaylor
06-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Thank you all for the compliments on the fish and the pictures. The pictures were taken at ISO 1600 and no flash. My method is take a hunderd shots and hope for at least one good picture. :) I found that easier than reading the manual. :D

Hey Jim, I got mine to go after flakes by taking a pinch of flake between my thumb and index finger and hold it just under the surface of the water until the discus come up for it. You can feel the flakes starting to soak up the water, then release the flakes slowly, and they come off your finger in a large clump sort of like a small chunk of beefheart or blood worms. The discus will attack that clump of flake and then they all seem to get plenty. I turn off the back filter for 10 to 15 minutes until they clean it up. Anyway, that workes for me, hope it helps to get yours started. :)

Bill

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Bill,

The fish look fantastic and those pictures are incredible! Well done!

Best wishes!