PDA

View Full Version : Semi Auto W/C

calihawker
06-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I finally got my auto water change system down. I still have to vaccum junk out of the bottom but overall it's fairly well automated. I have a siphon tube that stays in the tank, that goes to a magdrive pump set up to stay primed and not siphon when the pump turns off. There's an aging barrel with another pump going back to the tank and a couple solenoids to bring tap water into the barrel. Everythings hooked up to an aquacontroller to time the pumps on and off.

The nice thing is whether I'm home or not, the tanks gonna get a 50% w/c mid day, and about 90% at 9pm. I'm usually always home so when I hear water splashing around, I grab the siphon tube spend no more than a minute vaccuming, then walk away. There's a suction cup with a clip that the siphon tube attaches to when not in use.

I'm kinda bummed about the condition of the tank in general. It was a refugium for my display when it was a reef so it didn't get the best of care and looks like crap in photos. I look at some of the other contest tanks, (Chad, among others:D) Mine is probably the least asthetically pleasing but oh well, love the fish, dig this contest, all you people are great! Good Times!:D:D

Don't have any decent pics of the w/c system, it's mostly just a bunch of plumbing. Nothing exciting. Here's a couple pics anyway.:)

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/SD_Challenge/DSC01189.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/SD_Challenge/DSC01194.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/SD_Challenge/DSC01186.jpg

Cheers!

Eddie
06-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Steve! those are growing nice and big fast! You are doing an excellent job!

Eddie

rickztahone
06-13-2009, 02:40 AM
is that green tube the siphon hose? if so, do you have any type of filter so that if by accident a discus gets close to it it will not get sucked on? i ask because 2 days ago i siphoned out a rummy nose tetra while doing a WC, lol. it was a water park ride that the tetra was not ready for

wgtaylor
06-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I finally got my auto water change system down.

The nice thing is whether I'm home or not, the tanks gonna get a 50% w/c mid day, and about 90% at 9pm.I look at some of the other contest tanks, (Chad, among others:D) Mine is probably the least asthetically pleasing but oh well, love the fish, dig this contest, all you people are great! Good Times!:D:D

Cheers!

Hey Steve, your fish look great, that's what the contest focuses on. Just take pictures of the discus while they are in the most appealing part of the tank, :D you are doing great.
Now with your auto water changes and Chad's minimum water changes, you guys could meet in Vegas for a day, while I'm slaving on my water changes. :) -Good Times ! -

Bill

calihawker
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks Eddie!!

is that green tube the siphon hose? if so, do you have any type of filter so that if by accident a discus gets close to it it will not get sucked on? i ask because 2 days ago i siphoned out a rummy nose tetra while doing a WC, lol. it was a water park ride that the tetra was not ready for

Yeah that's it. It clips onto the side of tank and the tube sits on the bottom leaving an opening less than 1/2 inch. Still big enough to suck up a rummy though!:D

Hey Steve, your fish look great, that's what the contest focuses on. Just take pictures of the discus while they are in the most appealing part of the tank, you are doing great.
Now with your auto water changes and Chad's minimum water changes, you guys could meet in Vegas for a day, while I'm slaving on my water changes.

Thanks Bill! Ya want us to put something on the craps table for ya?:D

wgtaylor
06-13-2009, 11:14 AM

That's why I do everything consertive, can't win at gambling and wouldn't want it to rub off on you ! Just glad you have things under control and can enjoy your time more.

Bill

Eddie
06-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Steve, I have to go back on my word.....I don't think you are doing an excellent job. I think you are doing an AMAZING JOB with them. Honestly, with Albinos growing slightly slower than other discus, there is no way that is true in your case. I cannot believe how big they look and super healthy.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, nobody even sees the tank dude....who cares about looks of the tank. Those fish are DYNAMITE!!!

Keep up the phenomenal work! Every time I open this thread and see the pictures, I'm like DAMN...THOSE ARE GORGEOUS!!

Take care,

Eddie

fishyj
06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Those are looking great Steve. I wouldn't worry about the tank, its the fish that matters.

Autumn Wind
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Haven't been on in awhile. Wanted to say congrats and I am so jelous :D I love the albino's!
Awesome job!
vanessa

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Steve, I love the auto system, can't wait when I got enough doe & d**n time to do my own. I know I can do it cheaply & thats prob. the way it will go, although with more then a few tanks running i'll need alot more piping as I got. Asthetically speaking, I don't look that great either :D but hey does it really matter. :p The Fish are spectacular bro, keep up the fab job.

Just curious, what type of solenoids do you use on such a system?

Regards
Ahmed ;)

calihawker
06-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks you guy's! I really appreciate the compliments!:D:D

Ahmed, here's a pic of my aging barrel. The solenoid has the red wires sticking out. It has 1/8 pipe threads in and out. It's not real clear but there are 2 valves for hot and cold tap water that tee into the solenoid so the incoming tap water is at temp, or very close to it.:)

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/calihawker/Equipment/DSC00664.jpg

Mr Wild
06-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Steve
I have been keenly reading your threads, like the modifications you have had to do. How are the fishy babies going?

calihawker
06-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Steve
I have been keenly reading your threads, like the modifications you have had to do. How are the fishy babies going?

Hey Kath! They're really doing great! Some are growing faster than others but overall I'm very happy with their progress.:)

Cheers!

Mr Wild
06-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Excellant! Could be a photo finish they all seem to be powering on! Good luck with it all.

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Steve, I have to go back on my word.....I don't think you are doing an excellent job. I think you are doing an AMAZING JOB with them. Honestly, with Albinos growing slightly slower than other discus, there is no way that is true in your case. I cannot believe how big they look and super healthy.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, nobody even sees the tank dude....who cares about looks of the tank. Those fish are DYNAMITE!!!

Keep up the phenomenal work! Every time I open this thread and see the pictures, I'm like DAMN...THOSE ARE GORGEOUS!!

Take care,

Eddie

EXACTLY what I was thinkin Steve O!! who CARES what your tank looks like, aslong as its clean. the fish look amazing bro. you have nothing to worry about at all. those fish could be in a rubbermade and everything would still look top notch, with fish like that!!... :D

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Hey Steve, your fish look great, that's what the contest focuses on. Just take pictures of the discus while they are in the most appealing part of the tank, :D you are doing great.
Now with your auto water changes and Chad's minimum water changes, you guys could meet in Vegas for a day, while I'm slaving on my water changes. :) -Good Times ! -

Bill

Bill,

Your comment made me laugh out loud! That was a good one.

Thanks Eddie!!

Yeah that's it. It clips onto the side of tank and the tube sits on the bottom leaving an opening less than 1/2 inch. Still big enough to suck up a rummy though!:D

Steve how close are you to Vegas? about 5 hours in the car for me. LOL! I really love your water change system. I'm working on a big fish room and will be doing something similar. Where did you score the solenoids? I was thinking of using sprinkler valves, but I think they rely on pressure to open. Not sure though. Still toying with that!

Best wishes!

Scribbles
06-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Everything is looking great Steve. I think that you guys have a great idea about Vegas. We should have a Simply Discus in Vegas weekend for everyone.

Chris

calihawker
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Everything is looking great Steve. I think that you guys have a great idea about Vegas. We should have a Simply Discus in Vegas weekend for everyone.

Chris

I like the idea!!
I haven't been to Vegas in years.:D

Cheers!

discussmith
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Steve a quick question. I see you are mixing hot and cold. I assume there is pressure from the supply all the time ahead of the solenoid. Have you had any problems with cold water coming out of a hot tap or hot water coming out of a cold tap in other areas of the house? Such a connection will allow that to happen.

calihawker
06-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I haven't noticed that occuring and never really thought about it. I can see how it would happen though. The reason it dosen't is perhaps the fact that those lines were put in during a renovation and both hot and cold terminate right after that point.