PDA

View Full Version : Woke-up to a Leak

jimmyjoe
06-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Hello all, my dog woke me up this morning to go out early 5:30 am to do her business. I heard my pump in my wet-dry working overtime so I took a look, well it pumped most of the water into the tank before it almost ran dry. My 120 gallon was leaking from the bottom seam in the front part of the tank, so I had to do a quick empty and moving of discus into three other tanks which are up to capacity as it is now. Sooooo, my question here is and I have read past threads on LEAKS, since it's on the bottom front seam since I have to redo all four bottom seams do I have to redo the sides also...... Jim in Ohio

rickztahone
06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Hello all, my dog woke me up this morning to go out early 5:30 am to do her business. I heard my pump in my wet-dry working overtime so I took a look, well it pumped most of the water into the tank before it almost ran dry. My 120 gallon was leaking from the bottom seam in the front part of the tank, so I had to do a quick empty and moving of discus into three other tanks which are up to capacity as it is now. Sooooo, my question here is and I have read past threads on LEAKS, since it's on the bottom front seam since I have to redo all four bottom seams do I have to redo the sides also...... Jim in Ohio

Jim, i would quite honestly just re-seal the whole thing

Justice
06-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Jim, i would quite honestly just re-seal the whole thing

I agree with rickztahone, I would remove all the old silicone and re-seal it too!

Elite Aquaria
06-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I agree seal the entire tank...also one thing to note, Silicone does expire. I never knew this until last fall I went to reseal one of my tanks for a second time. When I went to buy the new silicone I noticed an expiration date on it...When I checked the old tube that I had used the first time I noticed that it was dated 2006...The best silicone I found was in the glass section at Home Depot. Pure silicone no additives.

jimmyjoe
06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok everyone I've scraped all the old crap off, now can anyone tell me "IF" there is an easy way to clean all the little itzy-bitzy silicone off that isn't big enough to pick-up with your fingers. Boy that is tedious work try to clean that up. Also thanks for the heads-up on that expiration date on the silicone tubes I'm gonna check that out before I start to reseal, again should reseal the whole tank at one time or can I do it in 15 - 20 minute intervals. I'm not a young kid anymore this is probably gonna take me more time than any of you.......................Jim

Disgirl
06-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Jim, I have found that any silicone on the glass, no matter where it is, can be quickly removed with a simple razor blade!
Barbara :)

KDodds
06-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I would check with the manufaturer, it may be guaranteed. I new tank beats a resealed one any day.

jimmyjoe
06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm sorry maybe I didn't make my self clear, on the residue after scraping the silicone off with the razor blade the really fine silicone scrapings that are so fine you need something sticky to clean them up with. Has anyone found a simple way to clean them up, has anyone used a vaccum cleaner or the sticky part of duct tape which I'm using now. Also does the alcohol clean everthing off making the surface better for the new application of silicone and can I seal another seam after a few minutes 10-15 at the most without worrying about the silicone drying to much. My legs aren't in the best shape I'm pushing 65 can't run the mile anymore let alone stand on a step ladder for an hour or 2...................Jim

jimmyjoe
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Another question, where should I start first the sides or the bottom seams, or doesn't it matter........................thanks everyone for your suggestions Jim

jeff@zina.com
06-15-2009, 04:09 PM
...an easy way to clean all the little itzy-bitzy silicone off that isn't big enough to pick-up with your fingers.

Dust rag with End Dust on it. :)

Jeff

crackal
06-22-2009, 05:06 AM
just wash it off with forceful water