PDA

View Full Version : Week #3, Water change #3..... Better late than never! Sorry!!!

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Hello all!

Sorry about the late post. This past week has been crazy between home renovations and work, I haven't had any time to do much of anything other than feed discus and sleep. LOL!

Anyway, all is going splendidly! No complaints at all from the discus! LOL! Appetite and energy are in overdrive. No matter what and when I feed they are flying al over the tank gobbling up every bit. In the morning I can see thousands of little dimples in the sand where they have been foraging for food throughout the night. Needles to say, the tank never has any wasted food lying about.

The colors of the fish are really starting to bloom. There is a distinct difference in the shades of some of the fish as well as facial detail. Each fish seems to be growing in proportion to the other. There is some size difference with one or two of them, but nothing too bad. I expect them all to be pretty much the same size at adulthood. We'll have to wait and see on that one though.

The tank's water management has been flawless. Water parameters recorded at the time of the 3rd water change reflect perfect "0" across the board. Water is crystal clear all week long, even with 5 to 7 feedings of beefheart and blood worms. It's been pretty easy going since day 1! As you can see in the pictures, the plants have really taken root well and are exploding in the tank. They are doing their job well. Last week I took the phosphate out of the fertilizer and the algae that was begining to show is now gone. Everything seems to be well balanced.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures and the video! I included a shot of my new 770 gallons worth of water storage tanks!

Watch the June 15th video! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkhvfO9pdr8)

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Here's some more!

Enjoy!

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
And the last two....

Best wishes!

fishyj
06-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Chad, I really like the tank set up. It seems everything is going great. When they reach adult hood, you have your show tank.

Chad Hughes
06-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey Jim!

Yes, all is well. I really don't have much to say! LOL!

Yeah, when they hit adulthood I really don't have to do much but continue to enjoy. Take care my friend!

Best wishes!

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Chad, yes the tank & fish look spectacullar as are your plants. Your 770g facility is nice, are those going to be plumbed up & automated?

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Eddie
06-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Doing a great job Chad, the fish look great! Growing out nice and full.

Take care,

Eddie

acroken
06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Chad,
the tank is beautiful, fish are looking very healthy and growing nicely! i love the water storage bins. bet that will help with monitoring your daily water uses. Nicely done!

Kenny

Disgirl
06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Chad, the tank and fish are just beautiful! Could you please tell what plants you are growing in there and exactly what your substrate is, unless it is a secret of course! It is how I want my tank to look eventually, BB now.
Barbara :)

wgtaylor
06-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Chad,

As always, I enjoy watching your tank mature and your fish grow. You are doing such an excellent job with them, everything looks great.

Bill

Mr Wild
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Looking good Chad!

calihawker
06-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Sorry about the late post. This past week has been crazy between home renovations and work, I haven't had any time to do much of anything other than feed discus and sleep. LOL!

C'mon Chad. We know you were at the Bellagio!:D

Super awesome job dude! Your tank looks so good and the discus look great in it!

Cheers!

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-16-2009, 11:46 AM
great work Chad! the fish look amazing. everything looks great. you have an awesome setup goin on. I love how everything is so balanced all week long, you got it down for sure bro!:D keep up the great work! nice pics and video too ;)

thebigone
06-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Your tank and fish look very nice. Keep up the good work.

DISCUS USA
06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
very nice ,,u gonna be having people begging for babies if you wind up with a pair,, :)

Scribbles
06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Looking great as usual Chad. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Chad Hughes
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Chad, yes the tank & fish look spectacullar as are your plants. Your 770g facility is nice, are those going to be plumbed up & automated?

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Thank you Ahmed! Yes, eventually everything will be plumbed and automated. There's so few hours in the day. Sometimes I wish I didn't require sleep! LOL!

Best wishes!

Doing a great job Chad, the fish look great! Growing out nice and full.

Take care,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! I'm really happy with the way things are going.

Best wishes!

Chad,
the tank is beautiful, fish are looking very healthy and growing nicely! i love the water storage bins. bet that will help with monitoring your daily water uses. Nicely done!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! I am planning on creating a 1000 gallon facility in the garage. It's been slow going, but I'm still working at it!

Best wishes!

Chad, the tank and fish are just beautiful! Could you please tell what plants you are growing in there and exactly what your substrate is, unless it is a secret of course! It is how I want my tank to look eventually, BB now.
Barbara :)

Barb,

Most of the plants are cabomba and corkscrew vals. I have one other plant in there that grows like a weed but I can't hink of it's name right now. No secrets here, the substrate is quickrete play sand from home depot. The trick to the plants is getting fast growers in there. I prefer tall plants, especially in a tall tank like this one.

Hi Chad,

As always, I enjoy watching your tank mature and your fish grow. You are doing such an excellent job with them, everything looks great.

Bill

Thanks so much Bill!

Looking good Chad!

Thanks Kath! Sorry for the delay!

C'mon Chad. We know you were at the Bellagio!:D

Super awesome job dude! Your tank looks so good and the discus look great in it!

Cheers!

Steve,

I wish!!! I was retiling my bathroom all weekend. Talk about a JOB! LOL!

great work Chad! the fish look amazing. everything looks great. you have an awesome setup goin on. I love how everything is so balanced all week long, you got it down for sure bro!:D keep up the great work! nice pics and video too ;)

Thanks brother! I apprecaite the comments!

Your tank and fish look very nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks so much!

very nice ,,u gonna be having people begging for babies if you wind up with a pair,, :)

Oh yeah! I hope to get at least one pair out of these guys! that would be awesome!

Looking great as usual Chad. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate that!

Best wishes!