PDA

View Full Version : PH Crash?

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
After keeping discus for about 3 months now. I want to know what makes PH crash?

does it shoot to 0 or go really hi?

Im using r/o water and I have to add trace elements. Does that make it crash?

sorry if it a stupid question:)

Thanks

Hal

shawnhu
06-19-2009, 03:14 AM
PH is naturally made stable by KH. As a matter of fact, KH usually dictates where your PH will be. With a high KH, PH would be stable and will not "crash".

In cases where KH is low, RO Water, rain water, naturally low KH tap water, PH can be very unstable. It can be influenced in either direction easily. One drop of a base, or acid could make the PH swing.

Usually, a PH crash is referred to as the PH going down too fast. The Nitrification Process produdes H+ ions, and thus will drop the PH.

Low KH, high stock, and infrequent water changes is the typical recipe for PH crashes.

Shawn

Daniella
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
I keep reading this but why some people with a low Kh have low Ph and I have low Kh and have high Ph???

How come if that's related, do I have such high Ph with such low Kh of between 2 to 3. My Ph is between 7.2 to 7.6

As a matter of fact, KH usually dictates where your PH will be. With a high KH, PH would be stable and will not "crash".

In cases where KH is low, RO Water, rain water, naturally low KH tap water, PH can be very unstable. It can be influenced in either direction easily. One drop of a base, or acid could make the PH swing.

Usually, a PH crash is referred to as the PH going down too fast. The Nitrification Process produdes H+ ions, and thus will drop the PH.

Low KH, high stock, and infrequent water changes is the typical recipe for PH crashes.

Shawn

kaceyo
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I keep reading this but why some people with a low Kh have low Ph and I have low Kh and have high Ph???

How come if that's related, do I have such high Ph with such low Kh of between 2 to 3. My Ph is between 7.2 to 7.6
Daniella,
Your KH/pH aren't realy that Lo/Hi, only a bit. Do you have soft water from the tap? Many water companies will add something to raise the pH in areas that have soft water because the combination of soft water and low pH is very hard on the pipes.
The KH of my water is less than 1 and pH is 7.6 to 8.0 because of the additive to raise the pH.

Kacey

mikel
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
If you have soft water with a 7.6 coming out of the tap, you are good to go. Just make sure to use prime, regardless, and do daily water changes to make sure the PH never ever come close to crashing. Ph crashes only happen when you dont do enough water changes, and have too many fish.

If you do sufficient water changes on a daily basis, you can overstock in a BB tank and there will be no problem, so long as you also have a nice mature filtration system with plenty of good bac colony.

If you want to copy the methods of Asian breeders, they forgo the filters completely, and do 100% water changes three times a day. That's also a viable way to prevent PH from ever crashing.

So, Ph crashes when the water is dirty....that's how I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong. mike

Roxanne
06-19-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't know about "dirty" water, but after the carbonate hardness is used up, the ph crashes...soft water has low carbonate hardness so is more prone to crashing. My tap water has a GH & a KH of 1-2, and a PH of 7.4. After 3 or 4 days it will crash to below 6 in the tank if I don't use the CC to stabilise....

Roxanne

mugzy213
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't know about "dirty" water, but after the carbonate hardness is used up, the ph crashes...soft water has low carbonate hardness so is more prone to crashing. My tap water has a GH & a KH of 1-2, and a PH of 7.4. After 3 or 4 days it will crash to below 6 in the tank if I don't use the CC to stabilise....

Roxanne

Hey Rox,:D

When you say CC what are you using to stabilise?

thanks,

Hal

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Keep in mind that the GH also has an impact on the Ph. You could have 0 KH and 20 GH and have a high Ph. I've said it before and I'll say it again, trying to figure out what puts Ph where it is will give you a headache. Don't even think about it. Thry to achieve a 3 to 4 on both GH and KH and your water will be fine. If you have water that has a GH in this range without any KH, just add some crushed foral to your filter or baking soda to water changes and your Ph will not crash.

I never read the GH. look at TDS. A TDS reading somewhere in the 100s will give you good discus water but lacks KH for buffering Ph. In my case I add a tablespoon of baking soda to a 100 gallon water change and the KH is set at 3 dKH. I leave it at that.

HTH!

Best wishes!

Jhhnn
06-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Municipal water suppliers have ways of working their voodoo on water that we can't duplicate, and they deliberately set the pH high because, according to the Denver water board, it's best for the pipes and inhibits bacterial growth.

PH drop, as has been said, is a product of the nitrification process and of the wealth or scarcity of various buffering agents in the water. It's all local, with different locales having radically different water parameters. It's up to the individual aquarist to figure out their water, or to seek the advice of other more experienced aquarists in their area. Local aquarium societies are a rich source of very specific information, when available, as are the actual water providers, either online or through phonecalls and printed material...

Daniella
06-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I would guess that's crushed coral :)

thanks,

Hal

Roxanne
06-20-2009, 06:02 AM

thanks,

Hal

Hi Hal, how are you mate?:)

cc is crushed coral...but be careful that you don't use too much cos it will send the ph through the roof:D...and don't put it in the tank itself cos it will be out of control also...monitor your ph for a few days to make sure you have used the right amount....For example my 60 gal, I put probably a quarter of what would fit on your palm in a filter bag into the filter and that keeps it at 7.4..seems a rediculously small amount but it works great;)...I have to go find where I wrote the KH & GH of those tanks with the cc established, from memory they are around the 4 ish mark, so my K & G are higher but my ph is not....also, you don't need to buy a huge bag of it cos you only need a little bit...

HTH

Rox

Mr Wild
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I just bought the larger peices of coral about the size of a finger and have a couple of those in the tank. Works a treat and I can just move them out easily if I need to.