PDA

View Full Version : Week #4, Water change #4, 4" Discus

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 11:25 PM
I cannot believe it's been a month already! Life has a funny way of passing you by before you know it. Doesn't it?

Anyway, performed the 4th water change this evening and popped out one of the discus for the moment of truth. I knew that these guys had grown and I figured they were about 3.5". Upon measuring, they are already at full 4" total length. They are really growing nicely.

I also realized this evening that my auto feeder was clogged. I'm not sure how long it's been like that, but that cuts out 2 meals a day for possibly a week if it was clogged that long. Poor babies! LOL!

I took a picture of the measurement this evening which is below. I'm also including a picture of the same fish (this one has always been the largest of the bunch) for comparison. The before picture was taken the day the fish arrived. Enjoy the pictures and have a great weekend!

Best wishes!

Eddie
06-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Great work Chad, results are looking fantastic!

Take care,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Hey Eddie!

Thanks man. These guys come from great stock. What else should we expect! Safe travels brother!

Best wishes!

Eddie
06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Eddie!

Thanks man. These guys come from great stock. What else should we expect! Safe travels brother!

Best wishes!

Thanks bro, here in the PI for another week. Good to have internet at the job and at hotel. :D

Take care and great update on their growth!

Eddie

Mr Wild
06-19-2009, 11:37 PM
They look fabulous Chad, well done! Hope my babies grow that well!

Chad Hughes
06-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks bro, here in the PI for another week. Good to have internet at the job and at hotel. :D

Take care and great update on their growth!

Eddie

HOTEL? I thought you were deployed? LOL! I know. It's the Air Force.

Just joking dude!

Have you had time to check out any discus breeders there?

Take care!

Eddie
06-20-2009, 12:15 AM
HOTEL? I thought you were deployed? LOL! I know. It's the Air Force.

Just joking dude!

Have you had time to check out any discus breeders there?

Take care!

Yeah, you know us, we get pampered. :D Haven't had the chance but I'm limited to being with a partner for any travel. Not sure who will be up for traveling out to any aquarium shops. LOL

Take care Chad,

Eddie

Chad Hughes
06-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah, you know us, we get pampered. :D Haven't had the chance but I'm limited to being with a partner for any travel. Not sure who will be up for traveling out to any aquarium shops. LOL

Take care Chad,

Eddie

You guys have the buddy system too, huh? The Navy does the same. It's nice traveling as a DOD civilian. Not too many of the petty rules apply to us, but get in trouble and look out!

Anyway, hope you have a decent time and talk somebody in to going tropical fish hunting! ;)

Take care.

Scribbles
06-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Looks like you're getting some awesome results Chad! I can't wait to see how they turn out by the end of the year. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Chad Hughes
06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Chris,

So far so good! They are really growing nicely. I noticed something new today that I forgot to mention in the first post. The TDS actually went down in the tank throughout the week. When I changed water last week, TDS of the tank was about 160. At water change today TDS was 143. I've never seen that happen before. It's typicall always higher. Water is staying pretty clean!

Have a great weekend!

Scribbles
06-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Could TDS have gone down from growing discus absorbing minerals from the water?

Chris

MRQuad
06-20-2009, 12:39 AM
that is a decent size chad, good job!

Chad Hughes
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Could TDS have gone down from growing discus absorbing minerals from the water?

Chris

Chris,

Quite honestly I don't know. I've never checked TDS as frequently in any other tank than this one. I was just closely monitoring this one for the contest. I do know that the TDS typically rises. I suspect that the ozone regimine is taking it's toll on the TDS. That's actually what it's supposed to do. LOL!

that is a decent size chad, good job!

Thanks Marvin!

I appreciate it!

Best wishes!

calihawker
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
That's really good growth Chad! Amazing job you're doing there!;)

Cheers!

acroken
06-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow, that guy look thick. Really nice going Chad. Although i am not to surprised coming from you:) Dam auto-feeders, mine did the same thing this week:mad:

Kenny

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Chad, looking great, size/colour/thickness/overall. Yes, those autofeeders can clog-up. I heard their is an autofeeder out now that has a air pump hose connection to it thats surposed to keep the food dry, although haven't heard much about it, good/bad! Keep up the good work! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

shawnhu
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Chris,

Quite honestly I don't know. I've never checked TDS as frequently in any other tank than this one. I was just closely monitoring this one for the contest. I do know that the TDS typically rises. I suspect that the ozone regimine is taking it's toll on the TDS. That's actually what it's supposed to do. LOL!

Thanks Marvin!

I appreciate it!

Best wishes!

Chad,

Time to make a point then. Turn down the O3 reactor and see what happens next week! I'll be conducting my own experiment with TDS when my meter arrives. How often do you calibrate your meter?

Shawn

Chad Hughes
06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
That's really good growth Chad! Amazing job you're doing there!;)

Cheers!

Thanks Steve! I saw your post as well. Looking awesome!

Wow, that guy look thick. Really nice going Chad. Although i am not to surprised coming from you:) Dam auto-feeders, mine did the same thing this week:mad:

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! Yes, I am very pleased with things so far. These guys are really happy and healthy! I have two of these auto feeders and have never had a problem. I think I may have filled it to full. No room for the food to tumble about in the tumbler. It's working now!

Chad, looking great, size/colour/thickness/overall. Yes, those autofeeders can clog-up. I heard their is an autofeeder out now that has a air pump hose connection to it thats surposed to keep the food dry, although haven't heard much about it, good/bad! Keep up the good work! :D

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Ahmed,

The feeder that I use is an Eheim that has a small fan in it to prevent clogging. It's worked great for years but I think I filled it too full this time. I took a bit of the food out and it's been working well ever since. Lesson learned!

Chad,

Time to make a point then. Turn down the O3 reactor and see what happens next week! I'll be conducting my own experiment with TDS when my meter arrives. How often do you calibrate your meter?

Shawn

Shawn,

I've already shaved one hour off the O3 since the water change. We'll see what changes if anything. I can't say that I actually "calibrate" my tds meter. I do check it against RO water from time to time. RO usually reads zero, so I assume that it's calibrated.

Best wishes!

Chad Hughes
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Chad,

Shawn

Shawn,

I checked TDS this morning and it's up two points. I think I'll go back to the setting that I was at and was getting lower TDS readings. The O3 is doing it's job! ;)

Best wishes!

shawnhu
06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Chad,

So it's probably safe to say that the O3 reactor is the cause for a lower TDS at a weeks time. Safe to assume then that the young fish is not absorbing as fast as they are polluting?

TankWatcher
06-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Good growth the 1st month. Seems you have everything happening as it should :)

bs6749
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
The fish looks good, but I don't think it's anywhere near 4" TL. How did you measure? From the looks of it the start of the tape is at least 1/8" out from the mouth and the tail appears to be shy of the 3.5" mark. I'd say that fish is barely 3.5" TL and going from 3.5" to 4" is at least several weeks. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Justice
07-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Great job Chad, And them feeders sure can get contrary at times.

Kenny's Discus
07-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Chad,

Great job on your contest fish! I love the roundness and thickness of the one you measured. Great result keep up the excellent work!:)

Kenny

Chad Hughes
07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
The fish looks good, but I don't think it's anywhere near 4" TL. How did you measure? From the looks of it the start of the tape is at least 1/8" out from the mouth and the tail appears to be shy of the 3.5" mark. I'd say that fish is barely 3.5" TL and going from 3.5" to 4" is at least several weeks. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Camera angle and the background didn't do much justice I guess. When I measured it I got a full 4" TL. I'll try and come up with a better way of demonstrating the length next measurement. I know Steve had an excfellent method on his first measurement. I'm looking to adopt something similar.

Chad,

Great job on your contest fish! I love the roundness and thickness of the one you measured. Great result keep up the excellent work!:)

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! You really provided us with great working stock! Words cannot express my appreciation. Thanks again!

Best wishes!