PDA

View Full Version : My Red Cover with no reds : (

1nvad3r
06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Hello all

I bought 2 Red Covers 6 months ago at a LFS they were about 3inch. Not sure of their size atm but they are big now. Ive been feeding them Eddie's Mix +various Ocean Nutrition flakes. So why do they have no reds yet ?:confused: The same batch at the LFS but smaller ones almost colored up fully. Am i feeding the wrong food ? thanks in Advance.

Harv

Eddie
06-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Hello all

I bought 2 Red Covers 6 months ago at a LFS they were about 3inch. Not sure of their size atm but they are big now. Ive been feeding them Eddie's Mix +various Ocean Nutrition flakes. So why do they have no reds yet ?:confused: The same batch at the LFS but smaller ones almost colored up fully. Am i feeding the wrong food ? thanks in Advance.

Harv

They are very nice though, may need to add something to the mix. My new mix that is pulling red is composed of salmon only, shrimp only , tetrabits, Prime Reef, garlic, peeled peas, vitamins and paprika. Bet that turns him red. :D

Eddie

lpiasente
06-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Nice fish

seanyuki
06-20-2009, 08:17 AM
were the red cover very red when you bought them?......you have 2 red cover discus now and both are hardly red......feed them ON Prime Reef or Sera Discus Red.......I have a few red discus that are quite red.

my 3R

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=546395#post546395

Cheers
Francis:)

Hello all

Harv

1nvad3r
06-20-2009, 08:38 AM
they look the same as got them : ( except bigger now.Just weird how the LFS fish has some red on the body :confused: mine doesnt lol is there such thing as color defect ?

Elite Aquaria
06-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Yours could be a male and theirs could be a female...Red cover females are much redder than the males.

bs6749
06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Yours could be a male and theirs could be a female...Red cover females are much redder than the males.

That's what I was going to say too. I have no experience with them but I've heard that females tend to have a deeper red to them. A pale fish may indicate that you have males and there may be little that you can do to bring out more red in them. They could be at their maximum potential for color. It does look good to me though.

Elite Aquaria
06-21-2009, 01:37 PM
That fish is still young so you will see more red as it matures. You can add NatuRose to the diet and it will also help bring out the red. Also I had a breeding pair and all I can say is WOW when they had fry...