PDA

View Full Version : One Discus hiding

marfa59
06-20-2009, 07:17 AM
:confused:I have one discus that is hiding while the rest are schooling peacefully. He has come out once today and his color is good. There are several discus larger than him and two that are smaller. I noticed his poop was white yesterday and started treating with metro. He has only been doing this for 3 days. Before, he was behind the plants more than the others but came out with the others often. Is he hiding because he doesn't feel good, or is he being pushed out of the group?

Eddie
06-20-2009, 07:22 AM
:confused:I have one discus that is hiding while the rest are schooling peacefully. He has come out once today and his color is good. There are several discus larger than him and two that are smaller. I noticed his poop was white yesterday and started treating with metro. He has only been doing this for 3 days. Before, he was behind the plants more than the others but came out with the others often. Is he hiding because he doesn't feel good, or is he being pushed out of the group?

He is probably hiding because he is ill. An ill fish is a stressed fish.

Now you are treating all the fish with Metro? Are all the fish showing symptoms of being ill?

Eddie

marfa59
06-20-2009, 07:36 AM
I am using API General Cure. I have done one dose to the water yesterday. I am a beginner and don't know how to treat just one fish. Ive only noticed the white poop in this fish.

Eddie
06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I am using API General Cure. I have done one dose to the water yesterday. I am a beginner and don't know how to treat just one fish. Ive only noticed the white poop in this fish.

If you have one affected fish, it's best to treat the one in a QT tank. If your fish has slimy white poo, not eating, dark in color then it may be a case of Spironucleus Vortens.

There are many different dosing regiments out there. I have used API General Cure in the past but at twice the dosage. This is 500mg per 10 gallons of metro and 150mg of Praziquantel per 10 gallons.

Get a 10 gallon QT tank for hospital purposes.

Eddie

marfa59
06-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I will get a 10 gal tank for a QT tank but it will have to be cycled. What do I do to keep the bacteria in it once it is cycled? I will double the dose of General Cure next dose. Should that take care of my problem for now? The poop didn't look slimy, just white.

seanyuki
06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
You need to do two doses required for full course of treatment....any other symptoms besides only white poops.....turning dark,clamped fins,gills infections?

Cheers
Francis:)

Eddie
06-20-2009, 08:07 AM
I will get a 10 gal tank for a QT tank but it will have to be cycled. What do I do to keep the bacteria in it once it is cycled? I will double the dose of General Cure next dose. Should that take care of my problem for now? The poop didn't look slimy, just white.

Well, you already through an antibiotic into the tank so it's up to you on how you want to go about this. Treating any fish with a med/chemical should be advised to you before using it.

What do you mean about the cycle? You can keep one fish in a 10 Gallon tank without any filter because you will be doing 100% WCs daily. The recommendations on the box are far from effective. Use two packets everyday for 5-7 days with a 100% water change before each dose.

Eddie

marfa59
06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Frances, I was going to do another dose tomorrow after the 48 hours as per the recommendations on the box, but now I am going to do what Eddie has suggested. He has no other symptoms, not dark, no clamped fins, just white poop.
Eddie, I have never had an aquarium before so I am unaware of how to do a QT tank. So, I don't have to have a filter, just the fish and water? Then I do a 100% w/c daily and dose as you have suggested? Do I use only RO water or a mixture of R/O and treated tap water? I don't have to worry about ammonia and nitrites doing it this way?

seanyuki
06-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Your QT tanks requires a heater and airstone.....no need of a filter as doing massive water changes daily....set the heater around 35C or 90F.......just add tap water and water conditioner like Seachem Prime.

Cheers
Francis:)

marfa59
06-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for everyone's help.