PDA

View Full Version : 56 column advice (possible discus tank unsure)

gsander
06-21-2009, 01:07 AM
would a 56 column tank be too small for several discus? 30x18x25? I'm thinking they might be a little crowded. I had not planned on keeping discus in this tank, however, now I am considering it. If it's too small, I'll keep a school of von rio tetra's or cardinals.

Lighting: debating on whether to use my icecap 660 ballast and wire up t5's for the plants. Plus I have some moon lights. I want it bright enough for the plants to get good growth, however, I don't want it to bright for the discus.

filter: Eheim Professional II 2026

Early stages of planning, but excited about the project.

Eddie
06-21-2009, 02:08 AM
would a 56 column tank be too small for several discus? 30x18x25? I'm thinking they might be a little crowded. I had not planned on keeping discus in this tank, however, now I am considering it. If it's too small, I'll keep a school of von rio tetra's or cardinals.

Lighting: debating on whether to use my icecap 660 ballast and wire up t5's for the plants. Plus I have some moon lights. I want it bright enough for the plants to get good growth, however, I don't want it to bright for the discus.

filter: Eheim Professional II 2026

Early stages of planning, but excited about the project.

Hey, nothing is set in stone, you can make it happen. I do prefer longer tanks but with that depth, you could probably get away with 5 or 6 in tank. Do you have any pictures of the tank?

As far as the lights go, couldn't tell you since I do not know what a 660 is but I know T5s are very effective for planted tanks depending on the wattage and color temp. The thing is, you'll have to ensure the rays go deep enough to allow growth and it will also depend on the plants you choose. There are some planted discus tank experts on here and I definitely am NOT one of them. I'm sure somebody will chime in and get you covered.

Take care and best of luck on your discus tank!

Eddie

KDodds
06-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I would treat is as a standard 30x18, IOW a 20g tank, one pair, tetras, maybe some cories.

Eddie
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
This exactly what you are looking for isn't it. I mean, the discus will get larger or can be bought larger. I'd do it in a heartbeat but that's just me. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=13237

Eddie

Scribbles
06-21-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to picture a collumn shaped tank with those dimensions. Do you mean a 56 gallon tank? Anyway, I think that you could do it. I have a 36 inch long tank with 8 juvies growing out in it. The only problem that I see is if you get a bully there isn't much room to get away. A pair might be a good option. The lighting is going to depend on the plants that you use. HTH

Chris

gsander
06-21-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm trying to picture a collumn shaped tank with those dimensions. Do you mean a 56 gallon tank? Anyway, I think that you could do it. I have a 36 inch long tank with 8 juvies growing out in it. The only problem that I see is if you get a bully there isn't much room to get away. A pair might be a good option. The lighting is going to depend on the plants that you use. HTH

Chris

Yes, tank is 56 gallon.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

The icecap 660 ballast was used with vho's I had on another tank. Think I'll waire t5 endcaps. probably 3-4 bulbs.

I am undecided about putting discus in this tank due to length and squabbles. If I did I might just put in one pair. Still undecided, but I appreciate the advice.

gsander
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
This exactly what you are looking for isn't it. I mean, the discus will get larger or can be bought larger. I'd do it in a heartbeat but that's just me. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=13237

Eddie

yes, this looks like a 56 gallon. thanks for the link.

Apistomaster
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
You should stock any tank on the basis of the available surface area.
Columnar or Hex tanks may have the volume but hurt when it comes to surface area.
I allow one square foot/144 sq inches per adult discus.
Example: 6 adult Discus in an American style 75 gal tank.