PDA

View Full Version : discus eating silicon and plants..

Totoro
06-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi,

One of my discus haven't been eating the pellets i've been feeding for over a month already.
Lately i've started to feed them some blood worms.
He eats it.. But i've also realise he's been trying to eat the silicon from the side of my tank. I've removed the silicon bits that was sticking out.. but still pecks on the other parts...
He's also been eating the plants as well..

Is there something wrong with my fish?

Eddie
06-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi,

One of my discus haven't been eating the pellets i've been feeding for over a month already.
Lately i've started to feed them some blood worms.
He eats it.. But i've also realise he's been trying to eat the silicon from the side of my tank. I've removed the silicon bits that was sticking out.. but still pecks on the other parts...
He's also been eating the plants as well..

Is there something wrong with my fish?

Most likely not, but are you limiting them to pellets only and now just started on blood worms? I would recommend a little variety in their food if you are not making a mix of your own.

How old are the fish? Are they wild caught or captive bred? How long have you had them?

Don Trinko
06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
If the fish is old enough it is possible that it is "cleaning" the silicone for a place to spawn.
It should still be eating and as previously mentioned a variety of food would be better. most feed their fish 3 or more times a day with different food at each feeding. Don T.

Eddie
06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
If the fish is old enough it is possible that it is "cleaning" the silicone for a place to spawn.
It should still be eating and as previously mentioned a variety of food would be better. most feed their fish 3 or more times a day with different food at each feeding. Don T.

Good call Don! Definitely could be.

Eddie

Totoro
06-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your replies~

I bought the discus from a local fish store.. Im not sure if they are wild caught or captive bred?
they are very small, around 4 - 5 cm long.

Maybe he's just hungry? he is so skinny.. He tries one pellet and spits it back out.. but when he sees the bloodworms, he loves them and is the first one to eat it..

I bought beef heart and will try it out tonight!! :)

Eddie
06-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Thanks for your replies~

I bought the discus from a local fish store.. Im not sure if they are wild caught or captive bred?
they are very small, around 4 - 5 cm long.

Maybe he's just hungry? he is so skinny.. He tries one pellet and spits it back out.. but when he sees the bloodworms, he loves them and is the first one to eat it..

I bought beef heart and will try it out tonight!! :)

Okay, so a juvenile fish. Try feeding a little beefheart at the same time as the bloodworms. Only feed them a small amount of BW so they will still be hungry to eat the BH.

Best of luck,

Eddie

Totoro
06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
that fish loved the beef heart..
however other fishes didnt seem to like it as much as the blood worms.~~
i've also tried to mix the pellets with beef heart..
they ate like normal..
the discus in my tank don't seem very active and are easily stressed..
they always seem to be hiding lately..
would it be because I've transfered them to a new tank recently and they are not used to the new environment yet?

Mr Wild
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
How long ago were they moved?