PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Pro II Canister Question

poconogal
06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Has anyone using the Pro II 2028 canister filter experienced a power loss and if you have, what happens with the filter when power returns? I just read a filter review online by a hobbyist, who said that if he loses power, the filter does not restart but must be reprimed manually to get it running again. :noway:

Anyone experience this? It sure doesn't sound right to me. :confused:

FLGirl1977
06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
No. He might have a defective canister, but as much as the power flickers here, I have never had any problems with the two that I currently have on my 120. Never have had to touch them.

poconogal
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
What the guy said didn't make any sense. I shut my canisters off for feeding and they always restart themselves. Then I thought maybe since its only for a few minutes, they have no problem restarting, but with a power failure that lasts several hours, maybe they can't restart for some reason. Which come to think of it, would be a good thing. Since I have a whole house generator though, it would never be an issue.

The weird thing though is that he reviewed the 2028 and a Marineland canister and he said both of them would not restart themselves. Hmmmmm.....

TankWatcher
06-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Doesn't make sense to me. If I switch my Pro II off at the power point, provided the water line is still above the in-take strainer (meaning that the hoses haven't drained) the thing remains primed. When you turn the power point back on, it just starts again.

Mine only needs priming if I have lowered the water in the tank too low & the hoses have partially emptied. That's when I need to prime it, or it won't re-start.

I can't imagine a power failure would be too much different from just switching the power point on & off. I have left it switched off at the power point for a quite while on occasion, while I did a PP treatment. Started again with no worries.

shawnhu
06-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Maybe he forgot to turn the surge protector back on :)

poconogal
06-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Doesn't make sense to me. If I switch my Pro II off at the power point, provided the water line is still above the in-take strainer (meaning that the hoses haven't drained) the thing remains primed. When you turn the power point back on, it just starts again.

Mine only needs priming if I have lowered the water in the tank too low & the hoses have partially emptied. That's when I need to prime it, or it won't re-start.

Robyn, mine restarts even when I've done that too (my XP3 does, the Eheim is new on this tank and I haven't done that since it was put on) but I did have air in the canister for several hours afterward and it spewed out a ton of bubbles. I know somebody posted about how to stop that, but I can't find it.

Maybe he forgot to turn the surge protector back on :)
Shawn, he forgot to do something, that's for sure. Or I was thinking that the guy is just a nut? Hmmm, just a nut gets my vote. :D

TankWatcher
06-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I read several thereads where pple jsay they just give the cannister a shake to dislodge the air bubbles, but not sure if it is the same thread you have read. I have always just pumped down on the priming pump a few times & that seems to make the air bubbles go away during.

poconogal
06-22-2009, 10:35 AM
XP3 doesn't have a priming pump, I never, ever need to prime it except for when it was first installed. When I remove it for cleaning, the water stays in the hoses. When it gets reconnected, I wait 2 mins. for the canister to fill via gravity and start 'er up. Don't know if the Eheim will work like that, or MUST I use the primer button. I haven't removed it yet.

TankWatcher
06-22-2009, 10:57 AM
The priming pump on the eheim pro II is that largish round thing in front of the hoses. It has "Eheim Professional II" written on it. You just press down on it. Needs a fair bit of force, but is a lot easier to use if you keep it nice & lubricated.

I only actually have to prime it if the water level falls below the inlet strainer - then the hoses will empty. Also, sometimes I empty the hoses to clean them - then I have to prime it. Otherwise, like you say, the hoses stay full, so there's usually not a need to prime it at all.

So, for those few times when I do prime it, that's where the priming pump comes in. Once it's up & running, if I think it has air bubbles (which it usually doesn't) that's when I might just give the primer an extra pump or two.

rickztahone
06-24-2009, 04:31 AM
hey Connie, how goes things with this canister? still a headache?

poconogal
06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Rick, of sorts. PM sent.