PDA

View Full Version : Repainting tanks how long can the discus...

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
be in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and heater....

there will only be two discus at a time....

I am ready to TRY anything to get these blokes to stop being shy and iit just may be the color of the tanks...

Also, I am not a good painter LOL with aircans...BUT I will try and take my time...runs I can`t tolerate...:bandana:

Thx

Eddie
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
be in a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and heater....

there will only be two discus at a time....

I am ready to TRY anything to get these blokes to stop being shy and iit just may be the color of the tanks...

Also, I am not a good painter LOL with aircans...BUT I will try and take my time...runs I can`t tolerate...:bandana:

Thx

Hours, just put in some dechlor

Eddie

silent_thunder
06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Hours, just put in some dechlor

Eddie

even with the prime that comes out of the tank into the bucket? add more?

GrillMaster
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I really dont think it is the tank color making the fish shy. If you have just gotten these fish recently give them time. Spend alot of time with them! They need to equate you with the food source. The more they see you and the more you feed them, the more you do WC's the less shy they will become. Try that first before trying to repaint your tank. It takes awhile sometimes but they will come around for you... :)

Chad Hughes
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
And if you are using spray paint, paint WELL AWAY from the discus (like outside) or your next thread will be "What killed my discus in 20 minutes". :mad:

Best wishes!

TankWatcher
06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I had mine in a plastic tub for 10 days during a metro treatment. I moved the heater, sponge filter into the tub, plus started off with 100% water from their main tank. Fish all recovered just fine.

Jhhnn
06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Runs on the back of a tank aren't visible from the front, thru the glass... not with good coverage, anyway...

Cooldadddyfunk286
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
just have the side of the tank that you are painting facing UP...facing you as you paint. hold the can at a 45 degree angle about 6-8 inches from the glass. allow good time to dry before flipping the tank and doing the other side. use lots of tape and garbage bags to super mask off any area you dont want to get painted (black rims, front glass, DEFINATLY tape the top opening of the tank SUPER well, so no paint dust can get in there. if your patient and thorough, this method will work perfect for you. no runs, looks pro when ur done :D

all thanks to Eddie, for teaching me this method :D

Apistomaster
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I use Jason's method of masking before spraying.
I mask off everything I don't want over spray with just news paper and the I use Krylon canned spray paint.

It usually isn't necessary to paint the sides to overcome Discus shyness but just time. The more time you spend around your Discus the tamer they get.
I happen to prefer spray painting the back and sides of all my tanks; not just my Discus tanks however, I do make it a point to paint the sides and bottoms of my Discus breeding tanks to reduce the distractions from outside. Discus in bare bottom tanks seem to feel more secure if the tank bottom is painted. You can paint the bottom black and the sides a more attractive color if you like.

The whole painting process shouldn't take long if it is done out doors on a pleasant day so your Discus should be fine for several hours in aerated buckets. Just don't overcrowd them. I don't know how many or how large your Discus are so these factors will determine how many fish and for how long you can keep them in just aerated buckets. If you use aquarium water it wouldn't hurt to add some Prime.

Daniella
06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
I think you are right on.

Mine were extremely skittish and now they come to eat from my hand. The more I interact with them and they see me, doing water change and syphoning bottom, the more they get at ease when I am around.

also offering live food from your hand is a pretty good way to make them love you! :)

I really dont think it is the tank color making the fish shy. If you have just gotten these fish recently give them time. Spend alot of time with them! They need to equate you with the food source. The more they see you and the more you feed them, the more you do WC's the less shy they will become. Try that first before trying to repaint your tank. It takes awhile sometimes but they will come around for you... :)

silent_thunder
06-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks folks..

I didnt like the color of the tank they were in..it did not bring their colors out...now that they are back in....they look alot better...except...

I dont like the black bottom LOL

I am getting good at taking paint off and repainting....:bandana:

I dont have anytime on my hands in the evenings anymore LOL

D

TankWatcher
06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I am getting good at taking paint off and repainting....practice makes perfect :D :D :D

shoggoth43
06-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I often see it recommended for a white painted bottom to make it easier to see grunge. The fish usually lighten up considerably as well, which should look very nice against a black background if you go that route. Alternately, if they're all grown out just throw in some pool filter sand and you'll have a white tank bottom. It stays put for the most part and unless you deliberately stir in the crud anything just stays on top of it so you can vac it out.

-
S