PDA

View Full Version : DIY float valve

tcyiu
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I was looking into buying a float valve, and I came across this DIY project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hydroponics_Float_Valve/

Looks hecka interesting. Not sure that I would trust this to prevent flooding my family room LOL

But may be useful to some luckier members here who have separate fish rooms in a shed away from the main house.

Tim

DiscusOnly
06-25-2009, 03:22 PM
A toilet tank fill valve would work much better if appearance isn't an issue. It's and interesting DIY but not practical

tcyiu
06-25-2009, 05:31 PM
For me, mounting a toilet valve appears to be more trouble. There is the issue of physically mounting what would normally be a vertical pipe, and secondly, stitching together all of the adapters needed to go from a garden hose to the pipe threads on the toilet valve. If memory serves correctly, the pipe threads on a toilet valve are special.

In this DIY, the spray nozzle naturally attaches to a hose. But I think this DIY looks rather odd if not downright ugly. :-) But for $1 and some elbow grease, this isn't bad.

At the end of the day, I'm buying a plastic float valve on eBay, so this is moot.

This was just an FYI just in case any one is interested.

Armandi_Fishcarer
06-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Interesting DIY project. Looks as though someone thought it out a bit, & it works for them.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

jeff@zina.com
06-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Float valves aren't that expensive to begin with, a toilet tank valve would be about the same price.

Jeff