PDA

View Full Version : Heater location?

Jorge
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Based in your experiences, where is the best place to put the heater (where it is more efficient), at the bottom or in the middle of the back crystal or somewhere else?

Eddie
06-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Based in your experiences, where is the best place to put the heater (where it is more efficient), at the bottom or in the middle of the back crystal or somewhere else?

Wherever there is the most current, this will spread the heat throughout the tank much more effectively.

Eddie

Jorge
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, I think I had it right. I putted mine below my Emperor filter.

Jorge

Eddie
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, I think I had it right. I putted mine below my Emperor filter.

Jorge

Sounds good! Take care

Eddie

keef
06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
...also keep it low down in the tank for water changes cos if you're like me you'll forget to turn it off = 1 cracked heater.

Eddie
06-28-2009, 01:13 AM
...also keep it low down in the tank for water changes cos if you're like me you'll forget to turn it off = 1 cracked heater.

Good call! Used to never forget and now since I am aging like a fine wine, I forget all the time. LOL

I keep mine low as well

Eddie

captain morgan
06-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Best place for a heater is on the outside of the tank of course: get a hydor external tank heater, keeps the entire tank water one even temperature- no warm or cold spots in the tank.

Jorge
06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Once, I almost forgot to disconnect the heater. I was a few seconds away from having a cracked heater. Back then, I had my heater in the middle of the back crystal. Since then, I kept it low down in my tanks.

jeff@zina.com
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
What about heaters in the sumps? Any opinions one way or the other? I've found that they tend to get in the way, but if the sump was designed for them it seems a better spot.

Jeff

tcyiu
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
What about heaters in the sumps? Any opinions one way or the other? I've found that they tend to get in the way, but if the sump was designed for them it seems a better spot.

Jeff

I have FINALLY after all these years set up a wet/dry sump. Now all the heaters are in there, and the tank is super clean. One inlet, one outlet. I love it.

BUT what I found is that the sump requires extra wattage and stays on longer to maintain the right temp. There is so much heat loss from the evaporation. It's summer now. I'm dreading the electricity bills in winter.

Tim

lpiasente
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I forgot to turn the heater off once then in a panic realised went to pull it out from the socket and wacko a nice big shock. Guess what I still ALWAYS forget to turn the heaters off

Keasbeynights
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Before I set mine low, I would always turn my heater off, and once I forgot to plug it back in. Needless to say after that I put it low in the tank. I was lucky, and didn't lose any fish.

dvc_r
07-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I was going to make another thread but it kind of fits into this one:
I have a canister filter (XP3), and made a spraybar to run the water across the tank. I put my heater about 6 inches under and "parallel" to the spraybar, thinking the heated water will rise into the moving water and mix better throughout the tank. But when I look at all the photos, most of "you experts" keep the heater at a 45 degree angle. What's everyone input on this?

PS: after reading some of the posts, I am also going to lower the heater due to the water changing issues...thanks

theinjected1
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I like and use the inline option as it keeps some of the gear out of the tank. Still have to remember to shut them down during filter maintenance, but there are pros and cons to everything.

alpine
08-17-2009, 06:15 PM
The Best place for a heater in a bare tank for discus is at the bottom of the tank ( high percentage water change) . Split the wattage between two heaters (don't ask me why :( )

Roberto.

Harriett
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
The Best place for a heater in a bare tank for discus is at the bottom of the tank ( high percentage water change) . Split the wattage between two heaters (don't ask me why :( )

Roberto.

The rationalle is that if one heater fails, you have the other and the temp wouldn't plummet. And if one heater sticks on, you would only have half the heat going full blast, more likely you would not lose the discus over it.

Best regards,
Harriett