PDA

View Full Version : pool filter sand

sp33dy25
06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
hi everyone !

im in Los angeles and i am having trouble finding white pool filter sand

i have called just about every store around here and no one carries it.

help help help . thanks !

Darrell Ward
06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Maybe it's because you asked for white pool filter sand? In my experience, pool filter sand is light tan in color. I can't believe no one has pool filter sand in LA. They are probably more pools per people there than in most parts of the country. I live in the backwoods of the mountains, and there are at least 4 places that sell it. For what it's worth, your discus do better in bare bottom anyway. I removed all the sand in all my large tanks, and I love it because it's so much easier to keep clean. I think the fish like it better too, because they show better colors. If you put some nice pieces of wood in them, it looks pretty good.

sp33dy25
06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
well i asked for pool filter sand.
they all say they can order it but no one carries it in stock

Darrell Ward
06-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh well. I guess they don't use sand filters out there anymore. Good luck!

Tito
06-28-2009, 08:55 PM
It is against the law to ask for "white" pool filter sand in the USA.

Na only kiddin!

No such thing as white pool filter sand. From your very own statement I am led to believe that you asked for white pool filter sand - the answer to that from every supply store - we don't have it.

Pool filter sand is tan but for some reason people call there sand white.

I'm sure if you just made your way to any decent pool supply store you will find tons of pool filter sand.

tcyiu
06-29-2009, 02:06 AM
In my area in Northern California, there are several places that carry sand:

- Pool supply stores carry "Pool Filter Sand"
- Hardware stores (Home depot, Lowes, Orchard Supply) carry several types of sand. Play sand is probably the worst because it is highly variable in grain size ranging from fine dust to large granules. Look for the grade of sand that is pre-screened.
- Rockeries and building materials suppliers. The sand they carry is primarily for mixing into concrete. So it can be quite dirty and dusty. You will typically find sandblasting sand which is good because these are pre-screened for size.
- Of course local fish stores carry very expensive sand.

What I have found is that NONE of these places (with the exception of LFS) carry white sand. They all carry sand from the local area for obvious reasons of transportation costs. This sand is dark buff with speckles of black. I wanted pure white, but did NOT want the stuff used in reef tanks because the calcium content would be way too high.

I ended up buying a 50lb bag of 3M Colorquartz. These are quite hard to find because almost no one retails the product. It is typically only sold through wholesale or used by contractors as part of a construction project. But if you want to invest the energy to find some one to sell you this product, it looks really good in a tank.

Tim

sp33dy25
06-29-2009, 12:31 PM
It is against the law to ask for "white" pool filter sand in the USA.

Na only kiddin!

No such thing as white pool filter sand. From your very own statement I am led to believe that you asked for white pool filter sand - the answer to that from every supply store - we don't have it.

Pool filter sand is tan but for some reason people call there sand white.

I'm sure if you just made your way to any decent pool supply store you will find tons of pool filter sand.

my statement here on the forum was intented on lookin for white sand
only after learning that they come in more than 1 color.
however when i was calling all the Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace withing a 10-20 mile radius. not 1 store had it in stock. 5 of the 10 pool supply stores
didnt carry it .. also the other half were not open.

well we gave up and just bought play sand.