PDA

View Full Version : need xpert help on sand

sp33dy25
06-29-2009, 05:16 PM
ok so i purchase bout 150 lb of play sand

i pre rinsed half bucket full about 20 passes b4 putting in tank.

after an entire night of doing this i filled the tank up let the filter run.

i check on this morning its still prettymurky.

how long do i need to wait till the water clears up?

btw. the play sand said its been prescreened and washed.- but i didnt trust it after i tested it in a clear jar. ... so thats why i washed it many many many times before putting in tank.

csarkar001
06-29-2009, 05:21 PM
it took two days for me. also, the pH spiked during this period which was of more concern but the fish made it ok.

tcyiu
06-29-2009, 08:16 PM
I use a DE filter (350 Magnum with micron filter and DE). This can remove a most of the murkiness in an afternoon.
Tim

Keasbeynights
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Just for future references, on one of my old tanks I used Pool filter sand, and it was only murky for an hour. Don't remember if it had any effects on pH or TDS, but the fish didn't mind it.

David Rose
08-06-2009, 07:57 AM
It depends on your starting point. I just went through this in setting up a tank for my parents. I was transferring fish from a smaller tank into a new larger tank. Either way, I found it best to start with a drained tank, add prewashed sand, place a bowl upside down or other object to deflect the water from hitting the sand directly as your adding your water back in. Doing it this way the water is 98% clear when you're done.

hth,
David