PDA

View Full Version : To drip or not to drip

mkv
07-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Many of us have preferred methods for acclimating new fish to our water parameters, especially after a long journey in a bag. I'm interested to see what others have experienced using different methods to acclimate new fish. At the same time, it would be very useful for new comers to the hobby. I use the float / drip method.

Eddie
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Many of us have preferred methods for acclimating new fish to our water parameters, especially after a long journey in a bag. I'm interested to see what others have experienced using different methods to acclimate new fish. At the same time, it would be very useful for new comers to the hobby. I use the float / drip method.

It really depends on how long they have been in bags. Short trip, float and drip. Long trip (shipped) float and drop.

Eddie

Mr Wild
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry, disagree with that Eddie. Just float and plop, I did the drip method after a long trip and the fish got ammonia burns, since then just float get temp equal and then open the bag hand in fish straight out and plop in tank. The inportant thing is to only open the bag when you are ready to grab the fish out the gas exchange when the bag is opened is what turns the water into a toxic bath.

Eddie
07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Sorry, disagree with that Eddie. Just float and plop, I did the drip method after a long trip and the fish got ammonia burns, since then just float get temp equal and then open the bag hand in fish straight out and plop in tank. The inportant thing is to only open the bag when you are ready to grab the fish out the gas exchange when the bag is opened is what turns the water into a toxic bath.

Kath, you didn't read my post :confused: LONG TRIP FLOAT AND DROP

mkv
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree. In a short trip the float and drip is the way to go and in a long trip you cannot drip because of the chemical reaction created by the gas exchange.

Scribbles
07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I totally agree. Short trip drip. Long trip or shipped float and drop provided that the PH is equal or slightly higher in the tank.

Chris

Jhhnn
07-03-2009, 02:31 AM
So, uhh, where's the data?

Sheesh... Am I the only guy who thought to use his test kits on shipping water? Or is all of this merely faith-based assertion?

Apparently so. The only data I've seen wrt this whole pH change and conversion of ammonium to ammonia is what I collected myself on tuesday, and it doesn't support the assumptions underlying plop and drop, at all-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72162&page=5

It doesn't support an hours long drawn out process, either.

It's not that I'm opposed to questioning traditional methods, at all. I am opposed to jumping to conclusions on the basis of reasoning that has no supporting data, particularly when the data is easily obtainable...

Armandi_Fishcarer
07-03-2009, 03:44 AM
I tend too float the fish for 10mins or so & open the bag & remove fish with a wet hand or net, placing them into the tank. On long distance fish pic-ups, I would acclimate fish the same way, although, placing water from the tank into a bucket, enough to cover fish. I place an airstone in the bucket & if you in doubt a heater, although not necassary, as the fish aren't going to be left in there too long. Water is added by cups every 3-5min over a 15-20min period in which time fish should be ready to scoup out & place in the tank.

That blue stuff they usually send the fish in they call here, buddy bag, which to my recolection is some type of anethsetic, & I don't really know much about it, as I'm no expert on the topic, although wouldn't mind knowing how it will weigh against the normal way of transport(tank water & oxygen), when testing parameters. I was told it would give false/incorrect readings. Can someone clarify this?

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Mr Wild
07-03-2009, 04:16 AM
Kath, you didn't read my post :confused: LONG TRIP FLOAT AND DROP

OOps sorry Eddie, my bad.:)

Mr Wild
07-03-2009, 04:19 AM
So, uhh, where's the data?

Sheesh... Am I the only guy who thought to use his test kits on shipping water? Or is all of this merely faith-based assertion?

Apparently so. The only data I've seen wrt this whole pH change and conversion of ammonium to ammonia is what I collected myself on tuesday, and it doesn't support the assumptions underlying plop and drop, at all-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=72162&page=5

It doesn't support an hours long drawn out process, either.

It's not that I'm opposed to questioning traditional methods, at all. I am opposed to jumping to conclusions on the basis of reasoning that has no supporting data, particularly when the data is easily obtainable...

Hey John
I can only tell you from my experience. Discus shipped 15hours to me thought better do the drip, fish looked dark in bag but no fin problems at all. After floating then doing the drip method fish turned really really dark and it burnt their fins I mean I had chunks fal away. All grew back ok but I would never use that method again. Just my experience. HTH

Ardan
07-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I have done both ways.
the only time I had burns were with the drip method.

Now I just float and plop them in (dump out the bag water)

hth
Ardan

calihawker
07-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I have done both ways.
the only time I had burns were with the drip method.

Now I just float and plop them in (dump out the bag water)

hth
Ardan

Same here.:)