PDA

View Full Version : Placing media from one tank to another...

silent_thunder
07-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I have a 55 up and running...finally.

I have a 29 gallon with 4 juvies that need moved...as soon as possable.

In the 29 I have 2 sponge filters....I was wondering if I could move one into the 55 as it a sponge filter for up to 110 gallon...

The problem is, I have 2 tanks cycling...so I would not have a hob filter ready unless I am able to squeeze the large sponge in a bucket and add the media bags to it THEN...add both 2 aquarium...

WHat do ya`all think?

Thanks ahead of time..

Daniel

Jhhnn
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
No problems moving sponge filters from one tank to another, provided the water in the new tank is conditioned.

Just remember that you're transplanting the whole microscopic community- good, bad, and indifferent...

If you don't have enough filters to go around, squeeze 'em out into a bucket of tank water, pour that into the new tanks to speed up cycling... preferably right into hob filters or the intakes of canisters...

The only caveat is the one stated above...

silent_thunder
07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
No problems moving sponge filters from one tank to another, provided the water in the new tank is conditioned.

Just remember that you're transplanting the whole microscopic community- good, bad, and indifferent...

If you don't have enough filters to go around, squeeze 'em out into a bucket of tank water, pour that into the new tanks to speed up cycling... preferably right into hob filters or the intakes of canisters...

The only caveat is the one stated above...

Thanks Jhhnn...

That filter has been in the tank since I did a fishless cycle in MAy...I see no problem with transferring the fish to the other tank in a few days or a week..

Guess I will find out...

Again, thanks...]

D

Roxanne
07-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi Daniel:)

Just keep an eye on your nitrites, if they go above zero add salt at 1-2 tblespns per 10 gal until the crisis is over. Maintain that amount with each water change.

Rox

silent_thunder
07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Daniel:)

Just keep an eye on your nitrites, if they go above zero add salt at 1-2 tblespns per 10 gal until the crisis is over. Maintain that amount with each water change.

Rox

Thx Rox...

I would never have known to keep an eyes so closely on my nitrites...I will check them daily...

I actually figuured you would chew me out <g> This outta work out ok

IF, you dont think its wise I will pass...

D

Roxanne
07-06-2009, 07:49 PM
...chew you out lololol......bite me :D.....I taste like chicken..;)

....just remember, salt ....and check the nitrites every 6-12 hours so if they start to surge you will be on top of it.

Rox

(...had to throw away my stinky old Rolling Stones slippers the other day Daniel...and it reminded me of you ha ha.:D)

poconogal
07-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Stinky slippers remind you of Daniel, Rox? What do you think of that, Daniel? Have you painted that red door yet? Rox, how do you know you taste like chicken? I think I taste like cake. (you know, you are what you eat...)

Watch those nitrites Daniel, more toxic than ammonia. Salt will prevent nitrite poisoning, a/k/a brown blood disease.

Roxanne
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
..Have you painted that red door yet?

..he wants it painted black.....

Rox, how do you know you taste like chicken? ...

...everything tastes like chicken....:D

silent_thunder
07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Stinky slippers remind you of Daniel, Rox? What do you think of that, Daniel? Have you painted that red door yet? Rox, how do you know you taste like chicken? I think I taste like cake. (you know, you are what you eat...)

Watch those nitrites Daniel, more toxic than ammonia. Salt will prevent nitrite poisoning, a/k/a brown blood disease.

Well..I don`t think I will go there...

I would sure LIKE to LOL

Why would the nitrites spike? Both tanks read the same tonight, however I will not add the fish till next week as I have to go to Chigo for the weeked...

SHE will pay for that comment <eg>

D

silent_thunder
07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
...chew you out lololol......bite me :D.....I taste like chicken..;)

....just remember, salt ....and check the nitrites every 6-12 hours so if they start to surge you will be on top of it.

Rox

(...had to throw away my stinky old Rolling Stones slippers the other day Daniel...and it reminded me of you ha ha.:D)

Well gosh if THATS what it took to remind me...fineeeeeeeeeeee....Just don`t...*Start ME Up*

hahahah

Roxanne
07-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Well..I don`t think I will go there...

I would sure LIKE to LOL

Why would the nitrites spike? Both tanks read the same tonight, however I will not add the fish till next week as I have to go to Chigo for the weeked...

SHE will pay for that comment <eg>

D

:D...

...if the filter isn't quite ready and you use it for fish, your nitrites will rise...if your filters are mature, and you put them in a tank with no fish, you will need to "feed" the filters ammonia daily to keep them happening until you put your fish in..and then there won't be a nitrite rise when you add the fish..but you will do a 100% WC before you add them won't you Danny poo?:p

Rox

PS...what are you getting NOW??:confused:

silent_thunder
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
:D...

...if the filter isn't quite ready and you use it for fish, your nitrites will rise...if your filters are mature, and you put them in a tank with no fish, you will need to "feed" the filters ammonia daily to keep them happening until you put your fish in..and then there won't be a nitrite rise when you add the fish..but you will do a 100% WC before you add them won't you Danny poo?:p

Rox

PS...what are you getting NOW??:confused:

Now you have me spooked since I was going to drop them in tonight....however I will be gone 4 days...so droping them is outta the question...

Tell me this....how many drops or mml shoyld I be adding to the 55...

The sponge filter came out of the tank I did a fihless cycle in...

WHat am I getting....duh...discus of courseeeeeeeeeeeee

D

Jhhnn
07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Individual bacteria have a very short lifespan, a matter of days, if that. They constantly reproducing and dying off, with total population being dependent on the food supply. Even if you feed an established filter nothing for awhile, the young bacteria will feed off the dead, and life will continue at a slowly decreasing level...

You don't have to use ammonia, per se, either- a few pinches of flake food every couple of days will give the community a food source when there are no fish present... Just monitor your water parameters at the same time to be sure of what's going on before introducing fish.

silent_thunder
07-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Individual bacteria have a very short lifespan, a matter of days, if that. They constantly reproducing and dying off, with total population being dependent on the food supply. Even if you feed an established filter nothing for awhile, the young bacteria will feed off the dead, and life will continue at a slowly decreasing level...

You don't have to use ammonia, per se, either- a few pinches of flake food every couple of days will give the community a food source when there are no fish present... Just monitor your water parameters at the same time to be sure of what's going on before introducing fish.

Thanks...If I was not going to Chicago this weekend I would have dropped them in already...theres plenty of *stuff* on the sponge however...I did squeeze enough out to place in the hob...

Who knows...I AM NOT losing these to discus...I paid wayyyyyyyyyy to much and they were not even the size of a 50 cent peice...I wont do that agin, but to watch them grow and bloom...thats what its about sometimes...

Thx

D

Roxanne
07-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Now you have me spooked since I was going to drop them in tonight....however I will be gone 4 days...so droping them is outta the question...

Tell me this....how many drops or mml shoyld I be adding to the 55...

The sponge filter came out of the tank I did a fihless cycle in...

WHat am I getting....duh...discus of courseeeeeeeeeeeee

D

lol...the last question was retorical as I expected you were getting more discus Dan;)

using fish food to keep a tank cycled is going to raise your doc's....clean ammo is always better....

If you are talking about a sponge that is not ready yet, add the ususal ammonia you use to get the tank to 5ppm and then while you are gone, it will just continue on it's way...if it is cycled, add ammonia before you go, then when you get back check it for die off...there will still be enough bacteria left to kick up again when you get back, just watch for nitrites again...

Rox

GrillMaster
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Daniel..Take a small bite out of the sponge... If it taste like chicken, it aint quite cycled yet! ;) :D :D :D

Sorry couldn't resist! :D

silent_thunder
07-09-2009, 03:24 PM
lol...the last question was retorical as I expected you were getting more discus Dan;)

using fish food to keep a tank cycled is going to raise your doc's....clean ammo is always better....

If you are talking about a sponge that is not ready yet, add the ususal ammonia you use to get the tank to 5ppm and then while you are gone, it will just continue on it's way...if it is cycled, add ammonia before you go, then when you get back check it for die off...there will still be enough bacteria left to kick up again when you get back, just watch for nitrites again...

Rox

yayayaya...it will take awhile TELLING me I smell like STINKING frickin` slippers..

I think most misunderstood me...when I did a fishless cycle...I had two big sponges it it...as well as the 2 tanks I am cycling now...2 big sponges and 2 hob...may as well get my buck for the bang...

Thanks again....peace to those that have none...

D

Roxanne
07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
:D...I'm sure you don't smell like my stinky slippers mate lolol....it was the Rolling Stone "tongue" logo thingy on the slippers that reminded me of you...lol

..yeah yeah blah blah your filters are cycled,:D just put ammonia in the tank while you are gone..have fun in Sweet Home Chicago...say g'day to Oprah for me...we love her down here:)

Rox

Roxanne
07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Daniel..Take a small bite out of the sponge... If it taste like chicken, it aint quite cycled yet! ;) :D :D :D

ROFLMAO...

..my slippers could serve as a good constant ammonia source whilst he is gone ha ha

...where you been Marky Mark?...missed ya:)

Rox

silent_thunder
07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
:D...I'm sure you don't smell like my stinky slippers mate lolol....it was the Rolling Stone "tongue" logo thingy on the slippers that reminded me of you...lol

..yeah yeah blah blah your filters are cycled,:D just put ammonia in the tank while you are gone..have fun in Sweet Home Chicago...say g'day to Oprah for me...we love her down here:)

Rox

No than ks...we like Al Copone where I come from LOL

Roxanne
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah but you'll need a ouigi board to talk to him:D

poconogal
07-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Now that's for sure...he's where your stinky old slippers are, Rox! Has Danny Poo left for his trip yet?

GrillMaster
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
ROFLMAO...

..my slippers could serve as a good constant ammonia source whilst he is gone ha ha

...where you been Marky Mark?...missed ya:)

Rox

I have been here as much as I can. :) Makin sure everyone plays nice. This is my busy time!! Wait till winter you wont be able to shut me up!! :D :D

Roxy you could cycle a fish room with them slippers! ;) :D :D :D

Eddie
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I have been here as much as I can. :) Makin sure everyone plays nice. This is my busy time!! Wait till winter you wont be able to shut me up!! :D :D

Roxy you could cycle a fish room with them slippers! ;) :D :D :D

ROTFLMAO!!!! Mark....you kill me!

Take care,

Eddie

Roxanne
07-10-2009, 12:24 AM
..Roxy you could cycle a fish room with them slippers! ;) :D :D :D

:D:D...do ya want 'em? lolol

Rox

PS good to see ya Mark;)

GrillMaster
07-10-2009, 12:32 AM
:D:D...do ya want 'em? lolol

Rox

PS good to see ya Mark;)

Sure Rox...Ship em on over! I bet we could auction em off to whoever is startin up a fish room... :thumbsup:

Oh God...I hijacked a thread!! :o

Sorry D...

Roxanne
07-10-2009, 03:23 AM
...I think I can safely say D doesn't mind some comedic banter on his thread:D

silent_thunder
07-13-2009, 12:26 AM
...I think I can safely say D doesn't mind some comedic banter on his thread:D

I see HOW you are...now.

Get a guy down and kick him!

Good grief can`t YOU kick a LITTLE harder!

Its soooooooo nice to be home and not be worrying if any died...

blah blah blah:bandana:

silent_thunder
07-13-2009, 12:27 AM

I thought it was supposed to taste fishy?

LOL

silent_thunder
07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Now that's for sure...he's where your stinky old slippers are, Rox! Has Danny Poo left for his trip yet?

Watch it...:bandana: