PDA

View Full Version : Cross Braces on a 125g!

bettebulldog
07-05-2009, 09:55 PM
I just got a 125g and it doesnt have and crossbracing on the top. Its 72" long 18" wide and 24" tall. When filled with water it has a bow to it. I am wondering if this is normal or should i be worried? It was a used tank i resealed and filled outside for a week with no leaks or nothing so i have it cycling in my house right now.

William Palumbo
07-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I have an old 125 with no center brace as well. Yes, it does bow...and is normal. If there WAS a brace and it was broken, then maybe I would worry. I am sure someone on here can tell you how to put one in...Bill

rbarn
07-05-2009, 11:49 PM
at 24" tall and 72" it should have a brace.

a bowing out front would scare the hell out of me.

bettebulldog
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
There was never any bracing on the tank. the glass is 5/8 inch thick. Should i put some on. How do i do that?

William Palumbo
07-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Like I said, mine did not come with any bracing as well. In fact, the instructions for cutting the plastic strips that held the glass tops in place, specifically said to fill the aquarium at least 3/4 full, to allow for the bow...THEN cut the plastic strips. Otherwise they would be too short if measured and cut with an empty tank...Bill

korbi_doc
07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I've had that same size tank for over 25yrs..moved it from NJ to Tn with no problems & it has 2 braces across & the glass is also 5/8" ...never any problem with it...I'd sure be worried with no bracing at all & it bowing like that....the tops can usually be bought with bracing & put on, or can be DIY made...JME

Dottie ;)

bettebulldog
07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
So i should be alright? You still have yours? I did run into that problem with making top supports. Once i filled 2 supports fell into the water. Now i have to make new ones. When i cut them to account for the bow what happens when you drain the tank and the bow sucks back in would that put some sort of stress on the glass?

bettebulldog
07-06-2009, 11:08 AM
yeah this is frightening me? bill i hope you right. I found new tops with braces at glasscages.com. Its a 2 peice design. Think i should change it?

William Palumbo
07-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I never had any problems with the tops or the plastic strips holding them up. Tho when drained are a bit hard to remove, but can be done easily enough. My tank is probally 20 years old. It was how it was made. It's an ALL GLASS brand, and I am sure they know better than me what works, or what it should and should not have. I myself, will never put a brace on it, but that's me. If you are unsure about it, get a top with a brace. I would hate to tell you not to, and something were to happen...Bill

bettebulldog
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Would some pieces of stainless steel stock bent over the front and back top work as bracing? anyone?

Wahter
07-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I have a 50 gallon tank without a center brace, but the glass is very thick. Chances are, if the glass is bowing out, you'd better get some braces.

If you know the manufacturer, you might be able to contact them for a replacement top frame (with braces).

Another thing you can do is get some bar clamps to help hold the top (I don't think this would be a good long term solution).

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45644&stc=1&d=1246938966

Since you just got it, (assuming it was used), can you find out if the previous owner had it filled recently with water and if it originally had braces across the top frame?

Walter

Discus-Hans
07-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Bowing glass would worry me, for sure.

Walter's idea is a good idea but.........I wouldn't just put the clamps on, put a piece of wood (at least 4" wide) between the glass and the clamp, it gives pressure on a wider area, not only on the clamp....."mouth?"

Why??? it would give me a safer feeling, 125g at least a 12 adult Discus.....lot of money, scary,

Just a thought,

Hans

Darrell Ward
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I have an old 125 gal. that is about 25 years old. It has no center braces, never did, made with 1/2" glass. It does not bow. If it did, I wouldn't use it.

bettebulldog
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I got it used and I asked the guy about the bracing and he said there was never any on it. He had it filled with northern pike. I would really like to feel safe and not have clamps all over my tank. I might sell it and get a brand new tank.

Chad Hughes
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I would wonder if this tank was for water or not. There are two specific types of tanks on the market. Those that are meant to hold water and those that are meant to act as a terrarium of sorts. Typically the tanks without the brace are meant for the latter. All of my 55 and over have braces.

You can get large tanks for little $$ if they are not aquariums. There's a local pet store near me that sells both. The terrarium styles have no braces and thinner glass. The aquariums are thicker and braced. Just some food for thought. IMO I'd brace it or sell and upgrade.

Jhhnn
07-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Dunno about that particular tank, but lots of older "premium" tanks have a 3/8"-1/2" thick glass center brace ~8" wide silicone sealed in place under the plastic tank rim.. OTOH, if your tank really is 5/8" glass, it probably never had a brace...

It's one of the things I had to rework on my older Oceanic reef tank. The area to be glued wrt tank, frame, and glass piece must be absolutely clean and free of old sealant. I used superfine steel wool, acetone and paper towels as the final prep, taped the brace to a board across the top of the tank to hold it while the sealant set up. I used the original brace. A new one can be cut by a glass shop- just make sure it's exactly the same length as the side of the aquarium. Take the sharp corners off the brace piece w/ sandpaper before gluing.

Wait a week before filling so that the sealant will have full strength.